ECF CEO in Aberystwyth

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Christopher Kreuzer

Re: ECF CEO in Aberystwyth

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:37 pm

Marcus Misson wrote:My first qu. about who ECF were supporting for FIDE pres was answered, but not my next two about how the membership scheme was progressing and where had the advertised Phils' webinar.
That's strange. Your questions over there were asked by a "Marq Ives". I've had a look round the ECF forum, and it looks nice. Potential for duplication and needing to follow two venues, though.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:41 pm

PeterFarr wrote:Andrew Martin said that if the leading women don't play in their own national championships, it doesn't help them make the case for the advancement of women's chess in this country.
So, using the same logic, we shouldn’t bother with men’s chess either?
Last edited by Jonathan Bryant on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:52 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
PeterFarr wrote:Andrew Martin said that if the leading women don't play in their own national championships, it doesn't help them make the case for the advancement of women's chess in this country.
So, using the same logic, we shouldn’t bother with mens chess either?
I suppose I tend to take the view that if your product doesn't seem to be attracting customers, it's more normal to find out why that is and then change the product (e.g. like your's or Jack's ideas on the other thread), than to blame the customers, but maybe that's out-dated.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:22 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I guess it has been announced on the other forum, but:

http://britishchesschampionships.co.uk/ ... erystwyth/

"ECF Chief Executive Phil Ehr will be in Aberystwyth today, and you’ll have the opportunity to put questions to him. He will be in the Students Union between 9.30 am and 11.00 am, then conducting an online interview between 2.30 and 3.00 pm, followed by a further question and answer session in the Restaurant Conservatory between 3.00 pm and 4.00 pm. The live interview/Q&A can be viewed here – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00_Y7v6wJgI"

Online interview sounds good.
I finally listened to this and in particular the forum section, some good points and worth a listen even if you don't agree.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:28 pm

I think I found out about this about three-quarters of an hour after it was all over...
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:28 pm

Some more answers in the other place in the "ask the CEO thread"

Paul

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:37 pm

Paul Dargan wrote:Some more answers in the other place in the "ask the CEO thread"

Paul
Interesting and worth a look.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:27 pm

The Major Open is one of the "four jewels of classic(al?) chess". What a bizarre statement. On a technical point - is it even an Open?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:50 pm

Richard Bates wrote:The Major Open is one of the "four jewels of classic(al?) chess". What a bizarre statement. On a technical point - is it even an Open?
No. It is the Yeovil Junction of chess tournaments.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:02 am

Richard Bates wrote: On a technical point - is it even an Open?
If you go back in time far enough, you find winners like Euwe and Tartakower, Alekhine even (?). When the Indians were banned in 2004 from playing in the British Championship, they were also banned from playing in the Major Open by the imposition of a 2350 rating ceiling. The ceiling might also have been influenced by the Russian GM Popo..something, who having suffered in the 2002 Major Open in Torquay, particularly in the first round, came back in 2003 well prepared for the typical British provocative rubbish and scored 11/11. Later the rating restriction was quietly abolished, but the Major Open remained a closely guarded secret and was never successfully marketed as a tourist tournament to our European neighbours.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:26 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
If you go back in time far enough, you find winners like Euwe and Tartakower, Alekhine even (?). When the Indians were banned in 2004 from playing in the British Championship, they were also banned from playing in the Major Open by the imposition of a 2350 rating ceiling. The ceiling might also have been influenced by the Russian GM Popo..something, who having suffered in the 2002 Major Open in Torquay, particularly in the first round, came back in 2003 well prepared for the typical British provocative rubbish and scored 11/11. Later the rating restriction was quietly abolished, but the Major Open remained a closely guarded secret and was never successfully marketed as a tourist tournament to our European neighbours.
Pretty sure I'm not eligible to play in it.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:41 am

Richard Bates wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Pretty sure I'm not eligible to play in it.
You're not. It's open to anyone except players rated over 2200 who have qualified to play in the British Championship.

Alan Ruffle

Post by Alan Ruffle » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:05 am

Dear All
A few years ago I read 'How life imitates chess' i.e. Making the right moves-from the board to the boardroom. by Garry Kasparov----I was bored stiff.
At the recent Worcester tournament I purchased 'End Game' i.e. Kasparov v Short, dispatches from a war for the world chess crown, by Dominic Lawson an embedded reporter, It describes the ongoing pressures in the Short camp and the off the board behaviour of some of our top players and Garry Kasparov in Particular.- It was terrific.
Andrew Paulson and Dominic Lawson both make the point that Nigel and Garry are two very fine chess players but are simply out of their depth at top level business management, Andrew has caused a heated argument by stating that he will not be supporting Gary for the post of President of FIDE.
Andrew Paulson has been criticised for his organisation of the 'Candidates tournament' in London too which he has replied, yes there were mistakes but it was his first attempt and will learn from them, he added that he intends to improve the organisation of the World Chess Championship Cycle in general, fair enough, he has further stated that as none chess player he would like to employ his business skills to raise profile of chess in the media, to improve the quality of chess at all levels especially at club level and put chess on TV.
What are we complaining about?
Alan Ruffle

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:10 am

Alan Ruffle wrote: What are we complaining about?
A non-sequiter post, maybe?

Mark Howitt

Post by Mark Howitt » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:05 pm

"Is the idea of free speech a good thing or is it hampering English chess?"

Oh man! Can't believe Andrew Martin actually asked that.