ECF Elections

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

ECF Elections

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:52 pm

Material has started to appear about the ECF AGM.

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/nominati ... ons-update

FIDE Delegate is a popular job, with no fewer than three candidates announced.

Lara Barnes
Malcolm Pein
Stewart Reuben

No doubt they will tell the voting membership and the world in general where they think the ECF should stand with regard to the Life Presidency. Malcolm publishes a magazine which in tone and content is hostile to the present FIDE President.

Paolo Casaschi

Re: ECF Elections

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:36 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:No doubt they will tell the voting membership and the world in general where they think the ECF should stand with regard to the Life Presidency.
Hopefully they'll also explain what else they intend to do to within FIDE to address issues of ECF members. If plotting against KI is the only activity, the ECF might just wait three years before appointing a new FIDE delegate and save on expenses.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:25 pm

It's a touch ludicrous that this position should be so hotly contested when in fact almost anyone can be asked by the Board to stand in as and when the occasion demands. I fear it also says much about the continued problems within the ECF - peeople are prepared to help out the institution in various ways but not to the extent of joining the Board.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:43 am

There is a draft paper on the ECF website about the ECF's future relationship with FIDE.

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/Forum/vi ... ?f=7&t=168

It remains to be seen whether the candidates in the three way election will all share the same views or whether it will become a proxy for a referendum on policy.

A reasonable number of voting members probably have little interest in FIDE matters, provided FIDE keeps its nose out.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:51 am

There are a few new postings over there after being silent for a week or so, all worth a gander.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:58 am

I wonder why they stopped telling us the day of the week? Did it fall under a confidentiality clause?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:36 am

Traci Whitfield has now been nominated for the Junior Chess position.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:22 pm

Only one NED candidate?

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:09 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:Traci Whitfield has now been nominated for the Junior Chess position.
Is this person the parent or a family member of Craig Whitfield? http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=415073
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:13 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:Traci Whitfield has now been nominated for the Junior Chess position.
Is this person the parent or a family member of Craig Whitfield? http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=415073
I don't know. But Traci is deeply involved with the Staffordshire and English Primary Schools Chess Association (EPSCA). [Julian Clissold is EPSCA chairman.] Traci is very well known as an Organiser in the world of Junior Chess.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:43 pm

Jonathan Rogers
You are not correct in your statement about people able to stand in in place of the FIDE Delegate. See
http://www.fide.com/component/handbook/ ... w=category
Generally speaking only the FIDE Delegate can be the delegate. If a proxy is used, then that has to be a delegate of a different federation.

I am sad if you think I have not been prepared to be a member of the Board. Over the years I have held 6 different Board positions, one of them for 17 years.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:15 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:Jonathan Rogers
You are not correct in your statement about people able to stand in in place of the FIDE Delegate. See
http://www.fide.com/component/handbook/ ... w=category
Generally speaking only the FIDE Delegate can be the delegate. If a proxy is used, then that has to be a delegate of a different federation.
I am surprised to learn that; though surely it was natural to assume that there would be more flexibility. Thanks for the correction.
Stewart Reuben wrote: I am sad if you think I have not been prepared to be a member of the Board. Over the years I have held 6 different Board positions, one of them for 17 years.
[/quote][/quote]

No offence intended, Stewart. But the fact that you have done so much in the past goes both ways - you might have thought you had done enough already!

Besides which, it's not all about you; there are three candidates. I still think it is notable that a non-Board position is apparently to be the only contested one.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:24 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:Jonathan Rogers
You are not correct in your statement about people able to stand in in place of the FIDE Delegate.
I thought Jonathan's point was the that post of Delegate could be held by, for instance, the President until that person was required to do something, at which point he could resign and someone could be appointed for that purpose. That may well conflict with the current ECF Statutes, but would be fine with FIDE. It doesn't seem like the worst way of doing things.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:42 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote: You are not correct in your statement about people able to stand in in place of the FIDE Delegate.
I thought the ECF could appoint a substitute. That was the proposition put to the voting membership regarding Nigel's substitution by Andrew Paulson.

The FIDE Delegate being elected alongside the Board is an ECF practice as opposed to a FIDE requirement. A bigger problem, it seems to me, could be the role of the "President" which is an office appearing several times in the FIDE Statutes. What if the ECF only has an "Honorary President" with the CEO the man in charge?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:14 pm

Roger. Andrew Paulson was being proposed to substitute Nigel Short in the ECU Election. That organisation has its own statutes. I haven't bothered to read them.
They didn't seem to have a regulation that speakers had to be audible at the afternoon session of the ECU. In fact it was fairly common in the Commissions as well that the top table spoke only to each other, even if there was an audience of perhaps 20+ people. That criticism did not apply in the Rules or Qualification Commissions.
The African Chess Union meeting apparently descended into farce.