ECF Elections

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
JustinHorton

Re: ECF Elections

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:49 pm

Sure, and that's a point I've made many times. And yet it is odd for Chris Dunworth to suddenly notice all these things that he cites.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:50 pm

NickFaulks wrote: Why? I cannot see any suggestion either way on that.
No condemnation is made of Kirsan's anti-chess views, reiterated for example in his interview with Danny King in Tromso. With Kirsan's control of the rotten borough electoral process, he isn't going to be removed by the General Assembly no matter who is the opposing candidate. An internal coup might remove him as it removed Campomanes, or else his boss, the President of Russia tells him it's time to go.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:10 pm

JustinHorton wrote: And yet it is odd for Chris Dunworth to suddenly notice all these things that he cites.

Has he possibly just found the ECF Forum, and thus only just found a place where he is happy to post views he has held for quite a while?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:11 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: No condemnation
So now that means support?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:14 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
JustinHorton wrote: And yet it is odd for Chris Dunworth to suddenly notice all these things that he cites.

Has he possibly just found the ECF Forum, and thus only just found a place where he is happy to post views he has held for quite a while?
Sure. But I'd kind of like to ask questions similar to this: "Chris, why are you suddenly invoking the PCA, which occurred back in 1993? Did you forget about it between then and just now?'"
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:17 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:With Kirsan's control of the rotten borough electoral process
And by the way, if votes had been weighted by number of players, I think Kirsan's victory in 2014 would have been more lopsided than it actually was. It was notable that the only continent where Kasparov made any inroads at all was Africa.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:20 pm

NickFaulks wrote:So now that means support?
If you have a long rant about one of the few people prepared to oppose the Life Presidency in an election and the ECF's support for him, isn't that expressing a desire for the incumbent to win and to continue winning?

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:21 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: If you have a long rant about one of the few people prepared to oppose the Life Presidency in an election and the ECF's support for him, isn't that expressing a desire for the incumbent to win and to continue winning?
No.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:43 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:With Kirsan's control of the rotten borough electoral process
And by the way, if votes had been weighted by number of players, I think Kirsan's victory in 2014 would have been more lopsided than it actually was. It was notable that the only continent where Kasparov made any inroads at all was Africa.
Nigel Short said in an interview on the day of the elections that, if the players in the Olympiad had been asked for their opinions, 90% would have favoured Kasparov.

Do you dispute that? If so, to what extent?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:47 pm

Well I'd dispute it to the extent that as far as I know, no actual poll has been taken.

I'd also note that Kasparov is by no means the most popular man in the world with other chessplayers - and that given Nigel's estimation of what was going to happen in the election (see New in Chess published shortly before the election) his view of how people might vote is not necessarily to be accepted unquestioned.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:12 pm

The candidate for ECF President is now announced elsewhere as Dominic Lawson.

Seems to be a good choice.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:17 pm

Whether this is to be the only nomination remains to be seen, but the Board have nominated Dominic Lawson for President. I would have thought a reasonable choice, although likely to be unpopular in some quarters. Part of the job specification ought to be to go on radio or television and speak with credibility.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:28 pm

David Sedgwick wrote: Nigel Short said in an interview on the day of the elections that, if the players in the Olympiad had been asked for their opinions, 90% would have favoured Kasparov.
That is utterly absurd. Apart from anything else, there was a widespread feeling that, if elected, Kasparov would reduce the Olympiad to a quickplay jamboree, and the players from the amateur teams present in Tromso were precisely the constituency who would be horrified by that.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:29 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:I still think it is notable that a non-Board position is apparently to be the only contested one.
We now have a contested election for Junior Director - an all-MCCU contest Traci Whitfield v Dave Levens, will be interesting to see who wins that one

And, a second candidate for NED in Laurence Ball, who I don't know, so maybe a third will arrive for a contested election there too?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:41 pm

Mick Norris wrote: And, a second candidate for NED in Laurence Ball
Former Kent County Captain, but RSA as FIDE affiliation.

Plays in the Kent and Surrey Leagues and for KJCA Kings in the 4NCL. Qualified and played in the 2013 British.