ECF Elections

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Jonathan Bryant

Re: ECF Elections

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:11 pm

Michael Flatt wrote: He seems to be well suited to the role of ECF President.
My bold.

And what is that role? Seems to me that’s a much more important question than who the President actually is.

The problems with the last two were not caused by who they were but the fact that they both decided that they would define what the job of President meant. More specifically the problems that arose were the fall out from ECF decisions to let them do that.

You may or may not think CJ d M is a bit of a twonk - I do, FWIW - but he’d have been a perfectly good President if anybody within the ECF had been prepared to say, "No, you can’t do that" when he was doing things he obviously shouldn’t have been doing.

Until the ECF and English chessers in general decide what they want the President to be/do it doesn’t really matter who it is.

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:22 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
And what is that role?
Put yourself up for the position and find out!

:wink:

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:25 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:And what is that role? Seems to me that’s a much more important question than who the President actually is.

<snip>

Until the ECF and English chessers in general decide what they want the President to be/do it doesn’t really matter who it is.
Agreed. But who should decide that? The ECF Council? The wider ECF membership? The ECF Board? The governance people? I hope the right questions will be asked of Dominic Lawson (who I remember mostly from a series of recent radio programmes and the 1993 World Championship when I think he appeared on the C4 coverage).

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:29 pm

Lewis Martin wrote: ...
Jonathan Rogers wrote: seek the agreement with senior figures in English chess
Who are the people you mention?

Given past rumblings on the ECF's (in)activity, are "senior figures" the best people to talk to?

Why should he, he's the President! (Should Lawson succeed)
Well CJ was President too, but there was certainly someone who should have received some no-nonsense advice.

But from whom exactly, you ask? I must admit I am not sure, but it would be a start if almost anyone assumed the role every now and again. With CJ, one had the impression that everyone thought that someone else should have a word with him.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:42 pm

Jonathan Bryant>Until the ECF and English chessers in general decide what they want the President to be/do it doesn’t really matter who it is.<

Never mind what chessplayers want in a president - apart from being able to play chess.

Even when, somehow, the ECF Council proposed and elected the previous president the board quickly disposed of him in palace coup - one that he did bring upon himself to a large degree.

What really is the ECF and who does it serve? (Don't try too hard to answer - it's a conundrum.)

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:56 pm

He's a dude who complains about teh wimmins finally being represented in politics, and he does so in the Daily Mail. Of course, when he's not doing that, he might be busy railing against abortion, claiming that feminism is causing obesity by forcing children to forage for food (paywall, so no link), or maybe even complaining that he wasn't supposed to call people "poofter" any more.

Chess already has massive problems with sexism, and electing DL as president is not going to help.
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:25 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: Agreed. But who should decide that? The ECF Council? The wider ECF membership? The ECF Board? The governance people?
Being strictly factual, the ECF Directors write the rules that say what they should do. The snappy title is
Regulation-No.-2-The-Directors-and-Officers-Responsibilities
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... g-2014.pdf

The practice seems to be that every President decides how much, or how little, they will do. Dominic was playing chess in the immediate aftermath of the Fischer boom, so he may have nearly as long a perspective as some of the players in the British Seniors. I would have first encountered him when he was a pupil at one of the posher London schools and we both played in the London League for the same club, Hammersmith.

I expected there would be opposition or at least doubts from those who recalled his close association with RDK. I didn't expect opposition from younger players based on what he has written as a journalist.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:47 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mick Norris wrote: And, a second candidate for NED in Laurence Ball
Former Kent County Captain, but RSA as FIDE affiliation.

Plays in the Kent and Surrey Leagues and for KJCA Kings in the 4NCL. Qualified and played in the 2013 British.
Moreover, he is a former President of Chess South Africa and a former member of the FIDE Ethics Commission. He was one of those who considered Case N 2/2007 “Mr. Nigel Short (Complaint Mr. Zurab Azmaiparashvili)”.

http://www.fide.com/news/download/Judgement02-07.pdf

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:59 pm

David Sedgwick wrote: Moreover, he is a former President of Chess South Africa and a former member of the FIDE Ethics Commission. He was one of those who considered Case N 2/2007 “Mr. Nigel Short (Complaint Mr. Zurab Azmaiparashvili)”.
A FIDE insider then ?

Evidently not just a local league and county player. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is debatable but it's my view that the decision making of the ECF Board would be better if every so often it gave some consideration to the question of what the well informed player might think. The near disaster of secretly taking legal action against FIDE might have been avoided.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:32 am

I've put my name forward for the post of President; I think I need one more nomination. If anyone with a Council vote wants to see me standing, contact John Philpott in the morning and nominate me.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:34 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote:And what is that role? Seems to me that’s a much more important question than who the President actually is.

<snip>

Agreed. But who should decide that? The ECF Council? The wider ECF membership? The ECF Board? The governance people?

The one person it clearly shouldn’t be is the President. I don’t have a problem with individuals deciding how much they can or can’t do in the job - as Roger puts it. The issue with the last two was not how much they were doing but what they were doing - specifically it was the fact that as a collective body the ECF were unable to stop them doing what they clearly shouldn’t have been doing.

Until that’s solved it doesn’t matter who is President. Whether it’s Dominic Lawson, Nigella Lawson or me the potential for problems remain. (Outside of my mum and Lewis Martin I doubt there’d be much support for that last option).

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:40 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote:[ The issue with the last two was not how much they were doing but what they were doing - specifically it was the fact that as a collective body the ECF were unable to stop them doing what they clearly shouldn’t have been doing.
Easy to forget about Roger Edwards, but let us not forget that what he wanted to do was opposed by two of the ECF voting membership, who between them had a substantial number of votes. Perhaps, once voted in, he should have ignored them, following the precedent of his successor at least.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:58 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote:The one person it clearly shouldn’t be is the President. I don’t have a problem with individuals deciding how much they can or can’t do in the job - as Roger puts it. The issue with the last two was not how much they were doing but what they were doing - specifically it was the fact that as a collective body the ECF were unable to stop them doing what they clearly shouldn’t have been doing.
That's not a property unique to the President by any means. The ECF has problems stopping any Director doing things if said Director wants to.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:43 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:I've put my name forward for the post of President; I think I need one more nomination. If anyone with a Council vote wants to see me standing, contact John Philpott in the morning and nominate me.
Jack, I welcome your offer to present yourself as a Candidate as ECF President.

It is much better for the election to be contested and offer the electorate a choice of Candidates.

The one candidate I do not welcome and have never understood since such an individual doesn't exist is: None of the above

It the "None of the above" mentality which is destroying the ECF.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:21 am

I'd vote for Jack, if I had a vote. However, DL's election statement looks quite strong:

DOMINIC LAWSON STATEMENT FOR ECF FORUM:

The President of the English Chess Federation should not only be a figurehead. He should have high level contacts both in business and politics, and use those to further the interests of all chessplayers, from club to national level.

I have those contacts and have used them to great effect in the past.

In 1983, after the FIDE Candidate semi-finals matches (Korchnoi-Kasparov and Smyslov-Ribli) were thrown into confusion by the refusal of the Soviets to let Kasparov play in the designated venue of Pasadena, I contacted Acorn Computers and persuaded them at very short notice to put up the necessary prize fund of 200,000 Sw Fr to hold the match in London. This was (at that time) the most important FIDE event ever to be held in the UK.

A few years later, I used my contacts to persuade the insurance company Eagle Star to pay a substantial annual stipend to finance Nigel Short’s training and chess development. This, in a sense, was the model for the later highly successful funding of British Olympic athletes, though that used Lottery funds.

At the political level I have also been successful in utilizing top-level contacts. I persuaded George Osborne, the Chancellor of the Exchequer, to make the state rooms of 11 Downing Street available for the closing ceremony of the 2013 London Candidates Tournament. This accolade was highly appreciated not just by the FIDE officials, but also by the players themselves.

My political contacts are on both sides: Rachel Reeves, the Labour shadow secretary of state for work and pensions, joined me as opponent/interviewee in my radio series Across the Board. The BBC approached me in the first place to devise this series, the first broadcast chess programmes since the sad demise of The Mastergame and the first chess series on radio for over half a century. It was highly successful and the BBC have invited me to record a second series--which will be broadcast next month.

These radio programmes are part of my long-held aspiration to bring chess to a mass audience: it is an essential requirement for any President of the ECF to be able to increase public interest in chess. It is for the same reason that once a month that for the past six years I have contributed a full page about chess for the political and cultural magazine Standpoint.

Of course this wider public engagement with chess should start at grass roots and junior level. Hence I am part of the Chess in Schools and Communities programme, as one of a number of players from Pimlico chess club who have signed up to teach the game at a local school. ECF members will be reassured to learn that I received a clean DBS check! I also introduced to Chess in Schools and Communities an American financier friend resident in the UK; as a result he has now agreed to fund this in schools in Hastings--which has been so associated with chess historically, and which cries out for revival.

Finally, as you all are, I am active at club level--representing Lewes in the Mid-Sussex League and Pimlico in the Central London League. Over the past two years I have also travelled abroad to take part in the Gibraltar Open and the Thai Open, demonstrating my continued deep passion for the game we all love.