ECF Elections

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

Re: ECF Elections

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:29 am

Michael Flatt wrote: The one candidate I do not welcome and have never understood since such an individual doesn't exist is: None of the above
I think it's very valuable and would be a welcome change if FIDE adopted the same. The point is that it enables a distinction to be made between appointing someone because there was no other choice offered and unanimous support.

There's a non obvious downside to the Board's decision to endorse a practising newspaper columnist as ECF President. Every so often, the columnist will write on something outside of chess which is disagreed with, sometimes with fervour, by individuals in the chess community.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:02 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote: Moreover, he is a former President of Chess South Africa and a former member of the FIDE Ethics Commission. He was one of those who considered Case N 2/2007 “Mr. Nigel Short (Complaint Mr. Zurab Azmaiparashvili)”.
A FIDE insider then ?
I don't think so. Please read the judgment which I mentioned and the others reached at that time. In my opinion they indicate that the FIDE Ethics Commission as then constituted was exactly what it should be - an impartial and independent minded body.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:06 am

Chris Rice wrote:... DL's election statement looks quite strong:

DOMINIC LAWSON STATEMENT FOR ECF FORUM:

The President of the English Chess Federation should not only be a figurehead ....

I agree. It looks good. Maybe it is good. But then again there were plenty of people who felt that CJdM and AP looked good pre-election too.

The 'figurehead or not' issue is key here. Why not set out in advance how you - 'you' being DL and the ECF - will ensure that we get the gains of a non-figurehead President without the damage from a non-figurehead President going off piste as we’ve seen twice in the recent past?

It seems to me that’s a perfectly appropriate and feasible course of action. If we get it everybody wins.

Unfortunately past experience suggests it won’t happen and should DL be elected we might all win, but even if we do it may - again - come at considerable cost.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:44 am

Below is a possible Presidential Candidate that should please most of ECF Council:

He (?) is unlikely to have his own agenda, views or personality or go "off piste".

He will be very capable of shaking hands, patting small children on the head and not claiming expenses.

It is unlikely that this candidate will have had or continue to have lunches with Ray Keene.

He does not have any knowledge of FIDE or ECU matters but is very adept at welcoming people to congresses.

He promises not to appear on the media to promote chess or himself.

He is not interested in sending more English players abroad or getting funding.

Someone who will enhance the ECF's brand throughout England and the rest of the world.
index.jpg
A potential ECF Presidential candidate
index.jpg (9.74 KiB) Viewed 2086 times
Last edited by John Upham on Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:52 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: I expected there would be opposition or at least doubts from those who recalled his close association with RDK. I didn't expect opposition from younger players based on what he has written as a journalist.
That is a bit of a generalisation since it is only Rob voicing concerns about this appointment.

Certainly something to be wary about with regards to his articles and sexism.

I don't really oppose him being elected, but it is hard to say since personally I don't know that much about him in terms of what he will bring to the ECF. At least he'll (hopefully!) be a bit more active than Steve Davis... :roll:

I can't remember what Steve Davis did tbh!

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:52 am

John Upham wrote:Below is a possible Presidential Candidate that should please most of ECF Council:

He (?) is unlikely to have his own agenda, views or personality or go "off piste".

He will be very capable of shaking hands, patting small children on the head and not claiming expenses.

Someone who will enhance the ECF's brand throughout England and the rest of the world.
index.jpg

Are you volunteering to wear the costume?

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:07 am

Is Zippy really Presidential material? From Wiki:

In 1979, the cast and crew of Rainbow made a special exclusive sketch for the Thames TV staff Christmas tape, sometimes referred to as the "Twangers" episode. This sketch featured plenty of deliberate sexual innuendo (beginning with Zippy peeling a banana, saying 'One skin, two skin, three skin, four...' before being interrupted), and was never shown at the time (as it was never intended to be screened to the general public.) It also included Geoffrey convincing the viewers to 'bounce' their balls, but if they did not have any balls, they could ask a friend if they could play with his. Jane also claimed that she was "blowing a lot with Rodger". Soon, Zippy asked them to stop, suggesting whether to play with a blowing tube and maracas, so they could start singing "The Plucking Song".

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:21 am

Chris Rice wrote:Is Zippy really Presidential material?
Is it really a cause for lament that questions are being raised about a proposed candidate for ECF President?

I find it difficult to come to the conclusion that the lesson of recent years is that there were too many questions raised about the suitability of candidates prior to elections for that particular post.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:25 am

Chris Rice wrote:Is Zippy really Presidential material? From Wiki:

In 1979, the cast and crew of Rainbow made a special exclusive sketch for the Thames TV staff Christmas tape, sometimes referred to as the "Twangers" episode. This sketch featured plenty of deliberate sexual innuendo (beginning with Zippy peeling a banana, saying 'One skin, two skin, three skin, four...' before being interrupted), and was never shown at the time (as it was never intended to be screened to the general public.) It also included Geoffrey convincing the viewers to 'bounce' their balls, but if they did not have any balls, they could ask a friend if they could play with his. Jane also claimed that she was "blowing a lot with Rodger". Soon, Zippy asked them to stop, suggesting whether to play with a blowing tube and maracas, so they could start singing "The Plucking Song".

I was hoping that this appalling and regretable episode had been fogotten. i've asked Google not to link to it any longer.

Is it possible to forgive this "moment of madness" and move on?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:59 pm

How would people feel about a well-known footballer being nominated for President?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:42 pm

A few choices at the NED position now.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:02 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote: Now, it is possible that RDK is able to make positive contributions to English chess
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:04 pm

Although actually it's not funny, of course.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:33 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:I've put my name forward for the post of President; I think I need one more nomination. If anyone with a Council vote wants to see me standing, contact John Philpott in the morning and nominate me.
Hope to hear some news about Jack's attempt to get on the ballot.
It would add some credibility to the process if there was at least one 'popular' candidate involved.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:44 pm

John McKenna wrote: Hope to hear some news about Jack's attempt to get on the ballot.
Nominations have closed with only the one name. It's on the ECF website.

Conspiracy theorists could suggest that the announcement of the preferred candidate so close to the end of the nomination process was a deliberate ruse to ensure no direct opposition to the Board's chosen candidate. But there again, the decision to allow his name to be put forward may have been very recent.