Dominic Lawson: Presidential Candidate

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Lewis Martin

Re: Dominic Lawson: Presidential Candidate

Post by Lewis Martin » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:10 am

So far I have glossed over the fact that Dominic Lawson is a climate change denier, since it is unrelated to the ECF Presidential elections, but does the ECF really want to have someone who wants to draw a pretty picture when it really isn't?

While looking at another vocation of mine, Dominic Lawson's name has come up at least twice with regards to simply being wrong about Climate Change. (I've said enough about shoddy journalism with regards to chess here, and to say I take a dim view of the deniers is an understatement)

Apart from the erroneous reporting of the numbers, he simply doesn't have a clue what he is writing about, and just blathers on based on "convenient reporting" i.e. only writing what he wants to back up his view (which is obviously wrong, and neglecting the rest of the story is the downfall of journalism). Mixing up carbon dioxide and carbon is just one laughable point.

I am trying to find the article in question online to reference to, since I was reading a book which referred to it! The article in question is June 8th 2007.

To summarise, I do hope the ECF appoint someone who understands what he is talking about.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:10 pm

"So far I have glossed over the fact that Dominic Lawson is a climate change denier"

Let's see the evidence then.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:18 pm

Lewis Martin wrote:To summarise, I do hope the ECF appoint someone who understands what he is talking about.
The ECF Board have nominated Dominic Lawson to stand as President. The ECF constituency will choose either to elect him or None of the Above. I doubt very much whether None of the Above would be an effective President (or Chairman).

IM Jack Rudd offered himself as the nominations were closing and failed to enlist any support.

Why were there no other nominations?

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:24 pm

Lewis Martin wrote:So far I have glossed over the fact that Dominic Lawson is a climate change denier.
Well at the beginning of the century those individuals failing to confirm to the socially required set of beliefs were given three white feathers. What should we give Dominic Lawson?

[I can't agree with Kevin's suggestion that evidence be provided, however. Evidence was not needed for the feathers. Rumour is quite sufficient]

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:57 pm

"[I can't agree with Kevin's suggestion that evidence be provided, however. Evidence was not needed for the feathers. Rumour is quite sufficient]"

And that is something which is definitely true - I must give up this idealistic and scientific approach.

I should clarify that I don't regard views on climate change, or badger killing, etc. as having any relevance to the post of President.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:14 pm

I would just like to say that only the politically unaware would think to deny that Dominic Lawson, like his father (quite the worst Chancellor of the Exchequer in my lifetime, quite a pit to plumb to reach such depths), is a notorious climate change denier.

That such a figure should be thought fit for a public figurehead role for the ECF would cause me seriously to think of forgoing membership until such time as he left that office.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:38 pm

“If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination. Once begun upon this downward path, you never know where you are to stop. Many a man has dated his ruin from some murder or other that perhaps he thought little of at the time.”
― Thomas de Quincey

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:58 pm

I can't think why a number of insiders would think to propose Dominic Lawson for President of the ECF, on the basis that he is a strong chess player with a public profile. If George Galloway were a strong chess player, I doubt those same insiders would think to propose him.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:36 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:I can't think why a number of insiders would think to propose Dominic Lawson for President of the ECF, on the basis that he is a strong chess player with a public profile. If George Galloway were a strong chess player, I doubt those same insiders would think to propose him.
The nature of the public profile would influence me.

I suspect they considered more aspects than his playing strength and the fact that he has a public profile.

I would imagine his knowledge of the chess world, his passion for chess and desire to see it grow in England are probable other factors that would make him a good candidate.

I agree that his views on climate change, cheese rolling, and how the word "scone" should be pronounced carry less weight.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:34 pm

John Upham wrote:I agree that his views on climate change, cheese rolling, and how the word "scone" should be pronounced carry less weight.
I don't agree. Climate change is the most pressing of all political concerns, and someone writing nonsense about it, does strongly affect my desire to belong to an organisation of which that person is a figurehead. Dominic Lawson is anathematic, because of his views on climate change.

I am happy for a Conservative to be the figurehead, and, indeed, those aware of what I have been doing during the last few years will know that I have been happy to have a senior Conservative MP publicly support one of my projects.

Dominic Lawson, is, however, not someone I would wish in any way to be associated with, and it disappoints me, but does not surprise me, that ECF insiders have such a tin ear to the opinion of many its members that they would propose him.

If you wish to propose a Conservative with an established public profile to be ECF President, then propose Jesse Norman. I would have no objection in that case, nor would, I suspect almost all of those currently opposed to Lawson.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:24 pm

I would rather have climate deniers in the ECF than thought policemen.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:06 pm

Just to clarify something that I have now been asked privately, the senior Conservative MP that has helped significantly with one of my projects is not Jesse Norman, but another. I wouldn't want to embarrass the other MP, though, by having his name associated with this particular public brawl.

The reason I suggested JN is that, as is well-known, he is a notably strong chess player, equally as strong as Dominic Lawson, and is also very senior in Conservative political circles. And to reiterate, for the hard of understanding, I would have no problems whatever should JN be ECF President, nor would I have problems with many other public figures from within Conservative circles. But Dominic Lawson, for me, falls outside of the boundaries of respectability.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:19 pm

I think Dominic Lawson is a very good person to be President of the ECF. I would say the same thing if Rachel Reeves had been nominated and I'm sure the vast majority of chess players would think likewise. It is not question of them being right wing or left wing; It is a question of them being politically influential. If you want to restore government funding then you have to foster links in high places. Time to give the ECF Directors some praise for getting Dominic Lawson to stand, not for some of the ridiculous comments we've seen here.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:31 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:It is not question of them being right wing or left wing
We're in agreement there, but no further.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:52 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:I would rather have climate deniers in the ECF than thought policemen.
Excellent!

Another entry in the Encyclopaedia of Termitery