Direct Member representation

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Michael Farthing

Direct Member representation

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:32 am

Anybody got any news on this?
Has anybody been nominated?

Rob Thompson

Re: Direct Member representation

Post by Rob Thompson » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:02 pm

If you mean the council representatives, they don't need to be nominated. Anyone who wants to stand, can (though it's probably a little late for the AGM), and if there are thus more candidates than positions available an election takes place. I believe the last time this happened was after the membership scheme came in, and more than 2 of the representatives under the old system became Gold members.

As it stands now, I believe that there are no representatives for Silver or Bronze members, but every other membership category is represented. I'm one of the Gold representatives, and the others can all be found on the ECF website.
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:10 pm

Rob Thompson wrote: As it stands now, I believe that there are no representatives for Silver or Bronze members
I thought this had been on a "to do" list for reform, but it's difficult to see how you could persuade anyone to become a Bronze representative, given that they are required to resign as soon as they play in a tournament. Similarly with Silver and FIDE rated events although you could get round that by appointing non-ENG players.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:29 pm

Rob Thompson wrote:If you mean the council representatives, they don't need to be nominated. Anyone who wants to stand, can (though it's probably a little late for the AGM), and if there are thus more candidates than positions available an election takes place. I believe the last time this happened was after the membership scheme came in, and more than 2 of the representatives under the old system became Gold members.

As it stands now, I believe that there are no representatives for Silver or Bronze members, but every other membership category is represented. I'm one of the Gold representatives, and the others can all be found on the ECF website.
Nominations have been requested for the year commencing 11 October 2014 [Edit: ie from immediately after the AGM] and these specifically did require the nomination of a member in the relevant category as well as the assent of the candidate (the request was buried quite deeply amid request for nominations for Board positions) The deadline for those nominations has now passed (by a week). As far as I can tell no statement has been as to what nominations have been received.

Rob Thompson

Post by Rob Thompson » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:14 pm

I wasn't aware that nominations were required, but there were almost certainly none - I don't think the representatives have changed since the membership scheme change.

I think it is still on a "to do" list, but it clearly hasn't yet been done. Roger's point re. bronze members is relevant - i can only see someone taking this post if they are friends with someone else on council and can be convinced to take the role.
True glory lies in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read.