Board minutes

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Mike Truran

Re: Board minutes

Post by Mike Truran » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:00 pm

Indeed. Not quite the fertile ground the conspiracy theorists were no doubt hoping for.

Unless of course we doctored the minutes. :twisted:

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:24 pm

Mike, quite shocked that you have published two sets of minutes without getting permission from Council. Do you think it's an operational matter?

Keep up the excellent work.

Simon

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:25 pm

Simon Brown wrote:Mike, quite shocked that you have published two sets of minutes without getting permission from Council. Do you think it's an operational matter?

Keep up the excellent work.

Simon
He is missing in action on the one of course should something be read into this :lol:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:02 pm

Is he? Please tell.

My post was tongue-in-cheek with full support for Mike and colleagues, mocking those who believe Council's opinion should be sought on every tiny matter.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:25 pm

No doubt Carl, when he "wrote "the one", was referring to the disappearance of "the other place". To be fair, "the one" is a little less clear than "the other place".

Except in The Matrix of course. I doubt that Keanu would have liked to be referred to as "the other place".

PS Or when Carl referred to "the one", did he mean "one of the sets of minutes"? It's all getting very confusing.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:49 pm

Mike Truran wrote:No doubt Carl, when he "wrote "the one", was referring to the disappearance of "the other place". To be fair, "the one" is a little less clear than "the other place".

Except in The Matrix of course. I doubt that Keanu would have liked to be referred to as "the other place".

PS Or when Carl referred to "the one", did he mean "one of the sets of minutes"? It's all getting very confusing.
Minutes and well posted from a beer garden.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:46 am

I've just come across the minutes of the ECF board held in May[1].

There seems to be have been quite a lot discussed with a number of new initiatives in the offing.

The Chief Executive and Home Director seem keen to involve themselves with the work of the Governance Committee in making proposals for reforms of the voting system(item 7). There are no details of the options being considered.

The Future of the British Championships(item 11) were also discussed and the board agreed to the revised (i.e. reduced) schedule for 2017 and proposed to seek comments from players.

[1] ECF Board Minutes for May 2016: http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... y-2016.pdf

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:13 pm

Michael Flatt wrote: The Future of the British Championships(item 11) were also discussed and the board agreed to the revised (i.e. reduced) schedule for 2017 and proposed to seek comments from players.
The ECF make a unilateral change and then seek comments. What if the comments are to restore an eleven round Championship with play on one round a day?

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:52 pm

I expect Richard Fris would rather be called Richard Fries.

The minutes are a little obscure at times, one example is - "In future, the minute taker will factor in time immediately after Council meetings to ensure they are completed expeditiously." This only makes sense if you imagine brackets before "immediately" and after "meetings", assuming it means that the minutes will be done quickly - if it means something else, use other punctuation. Doubtless, people will accuse me of being picky, but I think you do need clear minutes, to avoid "misunderstandings". (I work as a scientist and have helped draft national and international (even EU!) standards and legislation and the aim is to make the meaning clear.)

It is good that the minutes are published of course, after many years of secrecy, but a quick proof read is always a good idea.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:55 pm

<cough> bracket within a bracket </cough>
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:04 pm

Should be a square bracket if you are going to do that, I always thought?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:17 pm

"Should be a square bracket if you are going to do that, I always thought?"

IUPAC think so - shows the danger of not proof-reading what you've written!

It wasn't deliberate.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:35 pm

Clarity must be the essential aim.
IUPAC disqualifies the last post!

[This is a request for clarification of the esoteric language FTAOD (to get my own back)]

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:53 pm

Perhaps my last post was a bit convoluted. It was meant to ask, "What does IUPAC stand for, please?"

And then added a self-invented acronym as a gentle puzzle.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:02 pm

Is that the sort of thing that has caused the 2016 ECF YearBook not to appear so far? The material was available from the office in February. I did offer to proofread it, but there was no response.