Board minutes

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Stewart Reuben

Re: Board minutes

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:32 am

Roger, i this case, given the choice between conspiracy or cock-up, I am pretty sure it is the latter. The same applies to the absurdly late appearance of the YearBook.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:26 am

...... or we may not have felt the need to have a Board meeting between the 106th meeting and the 107th meeting on 30 August.

How typical of the Sage of Bourne End to instinctively place a negative construction on matters.

Bob Kane

Post by Bob Kane » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:20 pm

Mike,
It seems that you take every opportunity to bully Roger on whatever thread he contributes to.
This forum would be dull without his questioning posts and research.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:31 pm

Welcome back, Bob.

One-eyed as usual.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:33 pm

Bob Kane wrote:Mike,
It seems that you take every opportunity to bully Roger on whatever thread he contributes to.
It would be even duller if Mike didn't have the occasional little nip at Roger's ankles ;-)
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:46 pm

Bob Kane wrote:Mike,
I don't think that Roger can be bullied.
Last edited by Jonathan Rogers on Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:00 pm

It's that time of year again so where is toxic?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:42 pm

As long as we have no waste on elections by voting for none of the above that is fine by me.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:18 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:It's that time of year again so where is toxic?
Ah!! I was wondering why Bob had suddenly reappeared.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:43 pm

The annual elections are the only time you see any contributions from some of the directors and potential directors. With three year terms, perhaps they will drop back to contributions every three years.

It's a question perhaps for voting Council members to the the extent that they lurk on this forum. Is it valuable that forum posters attempt to cut through the sundry words of election addresses and other reports to find out what's being proposed in the open and what's being proposed but concealed?

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:47 pm

Is it valuable that forum posters attempt to cut through the sundry words of election addresses and other reports to find out what's being proposed in the open and what's being proposed but concealed?
Gosh. Maybe we should call in Bernstein and Woodward. Perhaps Deep Throat rather than the Sage of Bourne End would be a more appropriate moniker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMdrJoTzf4w

:roll:

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:54 pm

Last October there was plenty of talk about `meltdown` and even those of us who'd fought for the outcome we saw at the AGM had to agree the situation was less than ideal. Almost a year later it seems to have been a pretty successful year for the ECF and English chess in general. The main contributing factor has been Malcolm Pein's ability to find funding and investment but the talk last October was that the make up of the board would act as a deterrent to sponsors. This has NOT happened.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:56 pm

Mike Truran wrote: Gosh.
Where then did last year's meeting read about the intention of the Home Director to truncate the British Championship to nine rounds? I don't think it had any opportunity to endorse or oppose the decision. Perhaps it was implicit in the election, eventually, of the International Director who has advocated such a change for several years.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:03 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
The annual elections are the only time you see any contributions from some of the directors and potential directors. With three year terms, perhaps they will drop back to contributions every three years.
I don't think any member of the board has kept a low profile this year and certainly most of the key directors can be seen regularly at events and can be approached if necessary. It is true that not all of them choose to be cross examined on an unofficial forum but I wasn't aware that this was a requirement.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:13 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote: It is true that not all of them choose to be cross examined on an unofficial forum but I wasn't aware that this was a requirement.
I am making the observation that the only time some ECF Directors or potential Directors choose to share their views with this forum is when there is an imminent election.

With the demise of the Federation's official forum, where else would they communicate interactively with their admitted limited electorate?