Board minutes

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Michael Farthing

Re: Board minutes

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:43 pm

Given that in the case that led to this being an issue, the option to do so was clearly stated on the entry form I've never understood what the problem was.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:48 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:I've never understood what the problem was.
It's a case of reputation, credit score if you like. If the ECF or any organiser advertises a prize fund, what degree of scepticism should it enjoy as to the likelihood of it being paid?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:26 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:They seemingly had a row about how strongly to oppose and condemn the Kirsan life presidency
Rather a lopsided row, to judge by

"PE proposed an amendment to publish another press release but leave the original one
online, but failed to find a second."

It was a great shame that the ECF's proposal regarding Academies, which might have found widespread support, was linked to a personal attack on the FIDE President ( who almost certainly knows little about the issue ). This meant that it was viewed as a piece of propaganda, rather than the serious idea that it was, and universally ignored.

"PE is to email colleagues in other national federations regarding FIDE academies to try to get
support for both this motion and for Kasparov."

I can guess how that went.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:31 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Michael Farthing wrote:I've never understood what the problem was.
It's a case of reputation, credit score if you like. If the ECF or any organiser advertises a prize fund, what degree of scepticism should it enjoy as to the likelihood of it being paid?
It's perfectly normal in many congresses that the subsidiary prizes are dependent on entry. Running a congress is always a financial risk and most of us understand organisers' problems and are ready to accept that subsidiary prizes are a reasonable economy if things don't go as hoped. It's all up front and if you don't like the conditions then don't enter, but it is not reasonable to complain after the event about a condition announced before the event.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:18 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:but it is not reasonable to complain after the event about a condition announced before the event.
It's entirely reasonable to complain when the organiser makes a feature in the FAQ about the Congress series of paying advertised prizes and had a track record of doing so, as far as anyone is aware. It's also reasonable to complain when a public announcement of the prizes awarded and thus by implication the default, doesn't take place until around three months after the event. It was only the forum postings and the aftermath that precipitated the publication of the abbreviated prize list.

The usual formula is to announce the prizes that the organiser is confident of paying, with the possibility of additional prizes conditional on entries. Repeated actions of cancelling previously advertised prizes is relatively rare, perhaps because organisers recognise the likely effect on player confidence in the event.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:33 pm

From the September minutes:

"The Women's chess and Seniors' chess. These papers are not to be placed before the AGM as there has not been significant progress on these subjects."

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:03 pm

benedgell (Sept ECF Minutes) wrote: "The Women's chess and Seniors' chess. These papers are not to be placed before the AGM as there has not been significant progress on these subjects."
Anyone with any clues as to what they had in mind? Maybe it was just a case that "something" had to be done and the papers not presented to the AGM might have attempted to define "something". It's an example though that had the minutes been available in a more timely manner, that someone, the representative for a Seniors Congress even, might have asked for elaboration.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:19 pm

I am obviously a complete bozo. I am still unable to find these minutes which have been promised for so long. Where are they?

Of course there had been no progress made on Senior chess, The manager was not consulted.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:26 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:Where are they?
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/about/minutes/

I think we are talking about 88,89 and 90 plus the "complete" version of 82.

Bill Porter

Post by Bill Porter » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:32 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Stewart Reuben wrote:Where are they?
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/about/minutes/

The link is easy to find on the English Chess website.
Just check 4" below your monitor, on the left. :twisted:

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:34 pm

Thank you.
I didn't think to scroll down. Foolish as I was, I assumed that since the Council ones started with the most recent first, then the Board minutes would be arranged in the same manner.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:17 pm

The other place does not appear to even know yet!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:39 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:http://www.englishchess.org.uk/about/minutes/

I actually started with 82 and read all of the minutes from there to date - I think this should come with a health warning of some sort, they aren't a great read taken in bulk :roll:

I perhaps understand why Angus didn't want to stand for NED again

Phil Ehr comes out particularly badly in them, the impression given previously by Sean Hewitt that Phil is the problem seems to be backed up

Interesting also that Harry Lamb is now an ECF Senior Arbiter (and that 1 director voted against this, I do wonder who)

Anyway, hopefully we will now see minutes (or just a summary) published relatively soon after the meetings
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:18 am

Mick Norris wrote: Anyway, hopefully we will now see minutes (or just a summary) published relatively soon after the meetings
The clock is already running on that one. By now, they should have had their traditional post AGM meeting at which the elected directors appoint the non-elected officers. Even if they are all confirmed in post, there should be at least a brief announcement to that effect.

It's not announced anywhere that would draw attention to it, but it appears this season's National Club is going to be held at the Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport, 11th-12th April 2015.

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/competit ... pionships/

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:23 pm

At least it caused me to find out the results of the National Club Championship. The crosstable for the Open is simply wrong. Hackney won 3 matches 4-0 and the other 3-1 against Watford.
What is the point of continuing the championship?It is like the so-called Grand Prix. Passed its by-by date.