Board minutes

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Board minutes

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:24 am

Mick Norris wrote:The last minutes are 23 October - how many meetings have there been since then?
I think they held a meeting in November, but not in December.

If the appointment of the new CEO was subject to a full Board meeting, the November minutes are now overdue. But perhaps they haven't held a formal January meeting yet.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:35 am

The additional drop down menu Minutes Archive appears to have been removed in the last few minutes and the menu configuration returned to normal. Should make it easier to find things.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:36 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:The last minutes are 23 October - how many meetings have there been since then?
I think they held a meeting in November, but not in December.

If the appointment of the new CEO was subject to a full Board meeting, the November minutes are now overdue. But perhaps they haven't held a formal January meeting yet.
Ok that makes sense - the Board met to appoint Mike on Friday, so maybe the November minutes will surface this week
Any postings on here represent my personal views

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:21 pm

Friday represented the first of two Board meetings that will be taking place in January (the second is planned for 28 January in Birmingham). The minutes of the November meeting have been approved: the Company Secretary, who had quite a few action points as a result of Friday, hopes to get round to uploading these to the website later today.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:56 pm

Perhaps John you would tell the Company Secretary when you next meet him that we fully sympathise with his heavy schedule and reaaaure him that he has our good wishes and should not feel bullied.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:10 pm

John Philpott wrote:Friday represented the first of two Board meetings that will be taking place in January (the second is planned for 28 January in Birmingham). The minutes of the November meeting have been approved: the Company Secretary, who had quite a few action points as a result of Friday, hopes to get round to uploading these to the website later today.
John, we know you are very busy, so thanks again for all your efforts

I hope the new CEO makes your job easier

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:27 pm

..and thye mintes are now there

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:35 pm

"13 Creation of post to support Women’s chess
MP stated that in his view, the promotion of women’s chess was the biggest issue facing the ECF.
As we currently do not have a Manager of Women’s Chess, the board agreed it was a very important
to identify the key person or people to take this forward. Consideration should also be given to the
creation of directorship."

I remember bringing this up at an ECF meeting a few years ago... :roll:

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:57 pm

Mmm. Lots of people have this idea that women's chess is a crucial area. Why?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:26 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:Mmm. Lots of people have this idea that women's chess is a crucial area. Why?
Because such a low percentage of them play compared to men.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:32 pm

benedgell wrote:"13 Creation of post to support Women’s chess
MP stated that in his view, the promotion of women’s chess was the biggest issue facing the ECF.
As we currently do not have a Manager of Women’s Chess, the board agreed it was a very important
to identify the key person or people to take this forward. Consideration should also be given to the

I seem to remember Plato bringing up something similar in the wider social context about 2,500 years ago.
Michael Farthing wrote:Mmm. Lots of people have this idea that women's chess is a crucial area. Why?
If the number of female members of the ECF became equal to, or greater than, the number of males it would be a bonanza. This has already happened in the university undergraduate sector, I believe. That alone could indicate that a drive to recruit significant numbers of females to compete directly otb might meet with some success now. Although the attitude of a certain not insignificant level of machismo remains an obstacle. At rock bottom it is a relatively untapped revenue stream, to boot.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:40 pm

benedgell wrote:"13 Creation of post to support Women’s chess

There probably wasn't time to discuss it :roll:

Any idea who might do the job?

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:51 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
I know that. But it doesn't answer the question.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:54 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:
I know that. But it doesn't answer the question.
It may not be the answer that you wanted but it's a perfectly valid one.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:55 pm

John McKenna wrote: If the number of female members of the ECF became equal to, or greater than, the number of males it would be a bonanza. This has already happened in the university undergraduate sector, I believe. That alone could indicate that a drive to recruit significant numbers of females to compete directly otb might meet with some success now.
But the policies seem to be to prevent that by creating different competitions for women only.