Board minutes

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: Board minutes

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:13 pm

There is a weekend league up here (Cumbria)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:32 pm

That makes sense. There are also weekend leagues in Devon and Yorkshire - all counties with very large land areas.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:42 pm

Angus French (quoting ECF papers) wrote: Unfortunately both proposals would require accessing a count of the games played by each non-member, and it is this aspect of the present system which causes the perceived cost to the Federation.
With an all singing all dancing League Management System, that should be a piece of cake. Isn't the real problem not knowing who is a member and who isn't? It is and always was far simpler to just bill on the total number of games submitted for grading. If individual membership is supposed to be cheaper than that system, as claimed by a previous CEO, what is taking up all the office time during August and September leaving little resource for other projects including AGM papers?
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:47 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:That makes sense. There are also weekend leagues in Devon and Yorkshire - all counties with very large land areas.
And as somebody who lives a bit of a way from the nearest club (Barrow) weekend games are more convenient anyway.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:44 pm

The Yorkshire league isn't quite as big a land area as it might be :) A big majority of the teams are in the Leeds/Bradford/Sheffield conurbation. Nothing north of Harrogate/York and only Hull that I can think of who are West of York.

It would have been as geographically logical to include greater Manchester as Hull in many ways, but well....

The Yorkshire bridge league has Thirsk, Ilkley, Scarborough, Ripon and Wensleydale in it. Serious travelling potential there.

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:04 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:....and only Hull that I can think of who are West of York.
I really must revise my geographical orientation.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:23 pm

Well Brian, it is not surprising that we all have difficulties when saddled with a language that believes 'orientation' means 'lining up with North'.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:23 pm

Oh dear. I Must have had my mental map upside down or something :)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:42 am

"I cannot play any games in any leagues for any clubs unless I am a member of Table Tennis England."

What are the fees? I know the scoring system has changed, but in the old days, playing 3 singles in a match guaranteed playing at least 126 points, and probably rather more! Contrast that with charging someone £12 for playing one game, if they're really inept that could be £1 a move.

I don't have a problem with a membership scheme, but if you're a player short in a match, choosing between just defaulting and paying £12 for one game is an issue. There should be dispensation for people who hardly play, as defaults are not desirable.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:04 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote: What are the fees?
The table tennis system was quoted as a desirable model during discussions of the desirability of universal membership schemes. It's more flexible than you might think, with a concept of temporary membership being available, That's where it is possible to become a temporary member for the duration of a single event. The ECF membership enthusiasts always seemed committed to the inflexible idea of annual membership, rather than have temporary membership for a limited period.

Those who advocated that the ECF should have a membership scheme were always in denial that it meant you would charge a full annual rate for someone playing a single game.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:58 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:What are the fees?
Associate Membership: Free
Player Membership (local & 1* tournaments): £12
Player Licence (British League, 2* and above): £34 (senior), £17 (Junior under 18).

Incidentally, the website of Table Tennis England is very user friendly - well structured, uncluttered and excellent content.

[1] Table Tennis England: https://tabletennisengland.co.uk/play/membership/

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:26 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:I know the scoring system has changed, but in the old days, playing 3 singles in a match guaranteed playing at least 126 points, and probably rather more! Contrast that with charging someone £12 for playing one game, if they're really inept that could be £1 a move.
The norm in most UK leagues is for each singles games to consist of a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 5 ends. Each end will consist of a minimum of 11 points with a winning margin of least 2 points being required.

Some will refer to an end as a set.

Normally a match will consist of 10 games of which 9 are singles and one is doubles.

The above refers to scratch matches. Handicap matches will vary in their structure.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:44 am

Thanks for info.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:00 pm

Play football under FA rules & you will have to be registered by your club(s).