ECF Strategy Meeting

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
benedgell

ECF Strategy Meeting

Post by benedgell » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:12 pm

I've been told the ECF is having a strategy meeting at the end of this month which is planned to last 3 days, with the expense of booking a venue, overnight stays etc. Is 3 days of meetings really necessary? Surely the meeting could take place, say, at the 4ncl weekend and save a great deal of money?

IM Jack Rudd

Re: ECF Strategy Meeting

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:44 pm

The meeting will presumably involve Alex Holowczak and Dave Thomas, both of whom are on the control team for the 4NCL, so holding it then would double-book their time.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:43 pm

I used the 4ncl as an example, but I'm sure you could substitute another chess event for it. The point is is the cost of a 3 day meeting with venue hire, accommodation expenses etc really justifiable?

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:55 pm

I assume this is actually an ECF Board Strategy meeting?
Let us be careful in not taking the ECF Board to be the same as the ECF, much as the Chief Executive might like them to be synonomous

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:15 pm

Michael Farthing wrote: Let us be careful in not taking the ECF Board to be the same as the ECF, much as the Chief Executive might like them to be synonomous
That's actually a very good point. If support of the wider body of English chess was desired, sampling say up to a dozen voting representatives off Council would enable a wider spread of views to be voiced.

(edit) If all else fails, perhaps the Board could use the meetings to agree a set of minutes and decisions for most of the last year. If there are contested votes, what is the objection to revealing this? (/edit)