Post of Chief Executive: October 2015

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Michael Farthing

Post of Chief Executive: October 2015

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:31 am

There will be an opportunity for the ECF membership to choose a new Chief Executive next October.
We need one.

I would like to ask Ben Edgell to consider standing.
I would like to ask other people to try and persuade him to do so.

Matthew Carr

Re: Post of Chief Executive: October 2015

Post by Matthew Carr » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:46 pm

Hi

Interesting topic, I therefore have two questions to your point.

1/ Youve said who you want, could you please say why?

and

2/ What has the current Chief Executive done to make you feel that a new one is needed?

I am interested in knowing all the facts before making a decision.

I look forward to hearing from you :)

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:00 pm

The current chief executive has failed to provide timely secretarial administration resulting in frustration in the board that they have no proper record of meetings. The chief executive has also been exceedingly poor in the maintenance of good communication with the membership of the ECF. The period of his tenure has been marked by a particularly high level of discord within the board for which he must bear a substantial responsibility. He has also demonstrated, in my view, an attitude of determination to push his own agenda for the organisation in despite of other widely held views, this extending to an unprecedented attempt to direct the membership as to the candidates for office that they should elect. It is also my personal view, though this in itself would not be sufficient for me to seek his removal, that the board has concentrated on the wrong issues at the expense of areas where progress could be better made.

I have suggested Ben because he has demonstrated an ability and personal integrity to take account of different opinions (frequently splitting his card vote in accordance with the different views of organisations he represents) and is also exceptional in the way he reports back on the meetings he attends. More than anything at this particular time it is these qualities that are needed at board level. There may of course be others that can fulfill that requirement, but in thinking on these things over the last few months it was his name that presented itself to me. Incidentally, I do not know him personally and have had no communication with him.

Beyond all of this, I always feel that a contested election is better than a non-contested one.

[I expect to see you this coming weekend, though probably you will be far too busy for us to discuss all this - but I'll give you a good smile]

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:58 am

Hi Michael,

Thank you for writing this. October is a long time away, and a lot can happen between now and then, but I have no desire at this time to apply for the post of Chief Executive come the next AGM, I'm afraid.

Matthew Carr

Post by Matthew Carr » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:07 pm

Michael Farthing wrote: [I expect to see you this coming weekend, though probably you will be far too busy for us to discuss all this - but I'll give you a good smile]
I take it then your going to the Frodsham congress?

If so then if we do get a chance we can have a quick chat about it, if I get a spare moment. :)

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:19 pm

Zummerzet? Dorset? Shume mishtake, shurely :wink: :evil:

(ps. appearing the same day this thread started. Coincidence? Or ECF plot?) :twisted:

Gerry_Jepps

Post by Gerry_Jepps » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:02 pm

To be absolutely clear, Professor Robertson's link is to a story about an entirely different Ben Edgell.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:58 pm

:roll:

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:00 pm

benedgell wrote:Hi Michael,

Thank you for writing this. October is a long time away, and a lot can happen between now and then, but I have no desire at this time to apply for the post of Chief Executive come the next AGM, I'm afraid.
I suspected this would be the case. That's why I'm commissioning Persuaders :)