Ignoring the NCCU

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

Ignoring the NCCU

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:30 am

The ECF website reports on what it describes as "ECF Northern Championships". These were
The ECF Junior Directorate, in collaboration with Yorkshire and Manchester Junior Chess Associations, have organised the first Junior Championship in the North of England.
I would suspect that Junior Championships have taken place previously, organised either by, or in conjunction with the NCCU.

It would be one of the first events to acknowledge that Manchester is actually in the North, despite the forty year fight by Lancashire and to an extent by the NCCU to insist otherwise.

Paul Dargan

Re: Ignoring the NCCU

Post by Paul Dargan » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:18 am

There is indeed an NCCU under 18 Chamionship - though it has for many years been given to he highest placed U.18 player in one of the big opens (wherever the NCCU Champion and paid place at the British is also being awarded). There are some quite well-known names on the cup (Dave Norwood and Tim Wall) together with some rank amateurs who got lucky like myself - though in my defence, I think I beat Arkell and drew with Crouch in that year's Redcar open.

Paul