Finance Council meeting

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Ian Thompson

Re: Finance Council meeting

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:11 pm

John Saunders wrote:Whether the ECF was wise to set up its own forum is another matter and doesn't concern me unduly. On the whole I'm not convinced that two playgrounds, with one reserved for children who play nicely, are significantly better than one.
The problem with the one reserved for children who play nicely is that it has staff who set a very bad example.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:38 am

I'd go farther and further (shh, don't ask) - the ECF didn't want a playground but a playpen.

Then they realised they were dealing not with children but with dangerous men so they set up an Alcatraz - a series of solitary confinement cells. And, in order not to have to answer the cries of the inmates in solitary, the warden and his team retreated to the cold-shoulder storeroom, leaving just a few guards on the watchtowers and an old trustee - a reformed former forumite, nicknamed 'Papillon' - wandering the corridors preaching sedition just so the place had the air of being a real correction facility about it. His watchwords - do/less/but/do/it/better/communicate! (Of course, nobody was really supposed to take any notice of him, or what he said.)

Unfortunately the guards were a bit tardy taking up their posts and were prone to sleep on the job so a number of felons were able to enter the facility under assumed names with veiled threats to wreak havoc - it took some time but they were all dealt with in the end, hopefully. Somewhat later a suspiciously innocent man, you know the kind, was punished severely by being ejected and exiled back, forthwith, to whence he came - know in some quarters as Termite City or Devils' Island - from the gleamingly spotless facility for having the audacity to enter under his own name and use a bit of 'sarcasm' - exactly the kind of 'toxic' stuff the facility was designed not to tolerate in any way shape or form and, eventually, to eradicate completely from English Chess.

Signed: "sour & ill-adjusted" (aka, bitter & twisted), gold member in search of long-lost mojo... as if such a thing exists... which I doubt very much it does...or ever did... but it might... somewhere... the stuff dreams are made of... _ _ _ ...
Last edited by John McKenna on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:41 am

Mick Norris wrote:I notice from the revised voting register that it was 317 votes in total available, but my point remains - I haven't done any analysis to see if there are repeat offenders as far as not bothering, I fully appreciate there can be good reasons why someone can miss a meeting and not be able to appoint a proxy
I can see a Voting register which shows the 2014 Finance Meeting as well, and there are 3 "other" organisations, 3 counties, 6 leagues and 9 congresses who missed in 2014 and 2015, don't appear to have appointed a proxy, or sent apologies

It did appear that there was more interest in the 2014 meeting, at least in terms of attendance or appointing proxies

I can't see voting registers that tell me the same info about the 2014 and 2013 AGMs
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue May 05, 2015 8:38 pm

The meeting report by the SCCU webmaster is now available.
http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/bcf.htm

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue May 05, 2015 10:59 pm

No sign therein of Ben E's brave attempt to raise discussion of a taboo subject for the ECF, not as far as I could see.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Sat May 30, 2015 11:04 am

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... ersion.pdf

The ECF's minutes from the meeting.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun May 31, 2015 7:33 am

benedgell wrote: The ECF's minutes from the meeting.
A slightly different flavour from the other reports. If anything, there's more reporting of dissent in the official version.

I expect I have raised this point before and it may have been raised at the Council meeting if not timed out.

Is it the intent of the ECF Directors and thus a policy objective of the ECF that without fail, no person should play a graded game of chess in England without being a member of the ECF?

I'm not sure I entirely followed the debate as recorded in the Minutes about delisting of players from the International list. They seemed to read as if a well-known organiser and previous ECF Director spoke out against the policy, whereas when a Director, he caused it to be implemented.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun May 31, 2015 8:47 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
I'm not sure I entirely followed the debate as recorded in the Minutes about delisting of players from the International list. They seemed to read as if a well-known organiser and previous ECF Director spoke out against the policy, whereas when a Director, he caused it to be implemented.
It was implemented when the IRO reported to the Home Director (Adam Raoof). At the time it was a trivial matter to have players restored and no fees were involved.