Terms of use?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Mick Norris

Re: Terms of use?

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:40 am

Steve Rooney wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:I laughed at this one.

http://streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.c ... thing.html
An excellent summary of the farcical goings on. I strongly agree with the article's concern about the use of the word 'toxic'. The attack on this forum is not really an attack on Carl, it is on all of us who make up this community.

The current 'bunker mentality' of the ECF board's leadership and the actions of its 'enforcers' is what is bringing the ECF into disrepute. (I don't include all directors as I can see they are being muzzled, and Lawrence's recent interventions amongst others have exposed the dysfunctional nature of the current board.) I can't see this being resolved in the short term, but hopefully the next round of elections will lead to a more harmonious board which understands the limitations of what the ECF can and should be doing, and communicates openly while prioritising the move to a more democratic process in order to engage members fully.
Agreed

Loz is no longer on the ECF Board, for which I imagine he is very grateful

I think the current board has fewer problems without Andrew Paulson, but there are clearly still problems there

As for elections, it depends who stands doesn't it? If you see a problem (e.g. Phil is seen as a problem by some), then you have to find a better candidate willing to stand, and to deliver - any ideas?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:05 am

I would be grateful if someone could send me a copy of the Streatham and Brixton blog item as an email attachment. (I'm currently in China where the Chinese have blocked the S&B website). By some quirk of technology I can read emails to my gmail account on my iphone when in the hotel. My email address can be found on www.scca.co.uk under board/ officers. If you're kind enough to do that please say you have sent it here so I don't get deluged with dozens of copies of the thing. Thanks!

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:05 am

I really think it's a question of culture rather than individuals, albeit there's a couple of individuals on the Board to whom I take serious exception. The problem is that there's always this siege mentality whenever there's a problem and the official forum is just an expression of that.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:13 am

Mike Gunn wrote:If you're kind enough to do that please say you have sent it here so I don't get deluged with dozens of copies of the thing. Thanks!
Just emailed a cut&paste of the text.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:37 am

Brilliant, got it now - thanks Paolo.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:54 am

Ni Hao Mike,

You're a long way from home!

Paolo was quicker.

I started so I finished and sent 2 attachments, one Office Open XML the other RTF - hope you can read one.
The original blog post was Wed. 22nd April, I included the comments, by the way.

Best regards,
John

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:07 pm

John McKenna wrote: The original blog post was Wed. 22nd April, I included the comments, by the way.
There was a follow up today about Sue Dunham.

http://www.streathambrixtonchess.blogsp ... ng-ii.html

One of the complaints by the instigators of the ECF forum about the forum here was that it permitted made up names. Anyone who had been reading ecforum for any length of time was aware this wasn't the case. Did they confuse it with the atticus forum which preceded ecforum, overlapping for a while and which did permit anonymity?

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:30 pm

Thanks, John. Your email hasn't turned up yet (the little wheel is going round furiously, though). Justin has one thing bang to rights: so much of the discord in English chess is really all about X and Y hate Z (and it tends to be reciprocated).

I got the pocket chess set out on the bus today and was ignored. On the route back from work I see a large group of people playing (apparently) Mah Jong, sheltered under a motorway bridge and many people play cards outside cafes and on park benches but no sign of any chess. Must get back to marking the student work!

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:59 pm

Hi Mike,

When we were in Beijing we found much the same thing. We even had difficulty finding anyone who knew the Chinese word for chess.
Even those who played referred to our game as "international chess" or similar.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:25 pm

Alex, the last time I was here 2 out of 10 Chinese colleagues had heard of Hou Yifan, but knew nothing else about "international" chess in China.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:32 pm

Mike Gunn wrote: ... the Chinese have blocked the S&B website ....
Have they really? Blimey. We’ve annoyed many people over the years but never before has an actual government taken against us.

Perhaps they’re big Raymondo fans. He was part of the first "international chess" tournament in China back in the day, after all.