Terms of use?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Mike Truran

Re: Terms of use?

Post by Mike Truran » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:58 pm

Paul

I think it's back up again (to be fair, not always entirely reliably) if you're minded to give it a go. I did report it to the ECF Board around an hour and a half ago, but haven't heard back from anyone. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Mike

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:01 pm

Looks like 100% uptime here as the month comes to an end.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:07 pm

To be fair the £1000 they have allocated is not enough.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:53 pm

I wonder if Carl could perhaps offer his services as a moderator over there? It's in danger of becoming a bit 'toxic'. I'm beginning to think that the ECF see an official forum with no posts as an ideal solution, because it hasn't improved with all the recent activity :shock:

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:51 pm

Chris Fegan on Mr. Hibbard wrote:I understand that he is not an ECF Member, does not have an ECF Grade and is therefore not an active chess player.

What is his interest and motivation in running a Social Media Forum about chess?
Absolutely fantastic
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:00 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Chris Fegan on Mr. Hibbard wrote:I understand that he is not an ECF Member, does not have an ECF Grade and is therefore not an active chess player.

What is his interest and motivation in running a Social Media Forum about chess?
Absolutely fantastic
But Justin, doesn't that describe you also? Are you a part of the conspiracy?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:33 pm

"Conspiracy? Hell, we couldn't agree on lunch."
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:48 pm

Cheers
Carl Hibbard

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:56 pm

JustinHorton>Conspiracy?<

I think PeterFarr, above, may have meant - are you (Justin) perceived by the ECF establishment to be "part of the ('Social Media Forum about chess') conspiracy" due to your leading role in the S & B blog, which is probably only slightly less unedifying than Carl's forum in the establishment's eyes.

JustinHorton>Hell, we couldn't agree on lunch.<

"He read out the menu as if it were a three-act play with two intervals."

Boswell's Life of Pinter (BBC Radio 4 Comedy) http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02jxx2s

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:40 pm

John,

Thanks, love the Pinter pause. Good reminder not to be pretentious online!

I'm pretty sure that if the ECF thinks this place is the Wild West, then the S&B blog is Dodge City.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:02 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:I laughed at this one.
You could add
Bob has secrets, he knows who Sue is, but isn't telling

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:32 pm

You're welcome, Peter...

The ECF's Texas Rangers and Pinkerton men would love to tame the Wild West and clean up Dodge City while making common cause with the F(IDE)-men to bring us all their version of world reconciliation and eternal peace. Would you believe it?

PS This Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice. Where does Sue fit in? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064100/plotsummary

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:52 pm

John McKenna wrote:Where does Sue fit in?

The extremely well informed Sue Dunham, who was a frequent poster in the early days of the ECF's own forum.

As with this forum, the ECF official forum used real names, making posters identifiable from the grading list or possibly as "chess parents".

Back in the earlier days of this forum, there was also a Doctor Cula, a Doctor A Cula to be precise, who eventually outed himself.

Steve Rooney

Post by Steve Rooney » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:42 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:I laughed at this one.

http://streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.c ... thing.html
An excellent summary of the farcical goings on. I strongly agree with the article's concern about the use of the word 'toxic'. The attack on this forum is not really an attack on Carl, it is on all of us who make up this community.

The current 'bunker mentality' of the ECF board's leadership and the actions of its 'enforcers' is what is bringing the ECF into disrepute. (I don't include all directors as I can see they are being muzzled, and Lawrence's recent interventions amongst others have exposed the dysfunctional nature of the current board.) I can't see this being resolved in the short term, but hopefully the next round of elections will lead to a more harmonious board which understands the limitations of what the ECF can and should be doing, and communicates openly while prioritising the move to a more democratic process in order to engage members fully.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:53 am

This whole situation is ridiculous, the board are acting like a bunch of schoolkids.

It is getting to the point where I no longer wish to be associated with the ECF in any way, let alone pay them an annual fee to help maintain their autocratic and domineering policies.

It would mean no more graded chess but I can still play online and perhaps the occasional friendly game across the board.