Terms of use?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John McKenna

Re: Terms of use?

Post by John McKenna » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:32 am

Never smile at a crocodile.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:20 pm

I more or less gave up on the other place, when I challenged someone to provide evidence for his accusations or apologise for making them. No response. When I was last there a few days ago, I reported a post which I considered made inaccurate comments about Carl (so far no response). I did notice there was another poster clearly with a false name! (which is what started the argument in the first place...)

If there are "Terms of Use", surely they should apply to everyone, so for example, telling lies about someone should be discouraged?

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:39 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:I am still waiting for the early on Bill Phillips apology and now the Bob Kane evidence but I wasn't expecting Phil Ehr to be an idiot too.
Like others I’ve had mixed results trying to log on to the forum in recent days. Phil Ehr’s intervention - whatever else might be said about it - does at least seem to be an attempt to row back a little on the ECF’s part. E.g. talk now of "suspension" rather than ban and, " I hope we soon get to a place where the member will be able to return to the Forum ...."

Carl, where you given to understand that your being prevented from using the forum was temporary? Also, had you received any warning about your apparent breaches of the terms of use of the forum prior to receive the message stating that you were banned/suspended/whatever?

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:50 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote: Phil Ehr’s intervention - whatever else might be said about it - does at least seem to be an attempt to row back a little on the ECF’s part. E.g. talk now of "suspension" rather than ban and, " I hope we soon get to a place where the member will be able to return to the Forum ...."
"I like the walrus best" said Alice: "because he was a little sorry for the poor oysters"

"He ate more than the Carpenter, though" said Tweedledee. "You see he held his handkerchief in front, so that the Carpenter couldn't count how many he took"

"That was mean!" said Alice indignantly. "Then I like the Carpenter best - if he didn't eat so many as the Walrus"

"But he ate as many as he could get" said Tweedledum.

After a pause Alice began "Well! They were both very unpleasant characters"

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:28 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:I am still waiting for the early on Bill Phillips apology and now the Bob Kane evidence but I wasn't expecting Phil Ehr to be an idiot too.
Like others I’ve had mixed results trying to log on to the forum in recent days. Phil Ehr’s intervention - whatever else might be said about it - does at least seem to be an attempt to row back a little on the ECF’s part. E.g. talk now of "suspension" rather than ban and, " I hope we soon get to a place where the member will be able to return to the Forum ...."

Carl, where you given to understand that your being prevented from using the forum was temporary? Also, had you received any warning about your apparent breaches of the terms of use of the forum prior to receive the message stating that you were banned/suspended/whatever?
Of course not I was banned within a couple of minutes nobody knew and the rest is just politics.

I do not think it helps to proceed further.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:30 am

According to AH at the official Forum, the Code of Conduct "noted" by the voting membership at the recent ECF Finance Meeting forbids him and presumably other directors from posting on this forum. Were those at the meeting who approved the Code aware of this? I would suspect not.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:31 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:According to AH at the official Forum, the Code of Conduct "noted" by the voting membership at the recent ECF Finance Meeting forbids him and presumably other directors from posting on this forum. Were those at the meeting who approved the Code aware of this? I would suspect not.
I am disappointed but not surprised.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:42 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:According to AH at the official Forum, the Code of Conduct "noted" by the voting membership at the recent ECF Finance Meeting forbids him and presumably other directors from posting on this forum. Were those at the meeting who approved the Code aware of this? I would suspect not.
I don't think that's correct. The document which was noted is here and its text on the point in question is unchanged from the previous version.
REGULATION NO. 4 STANDARDS OF CONDUCT FOR ECF OFFICIALS wrote:3.4 ECF officials shall preferentially communicate on the ECF website/Forum (e.g. news of ECF events should be published on an ECF site before other sites).

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:56 am

When I was on the board we were told by the CE not to post on here. When I challenged this he changed to asking us not to post on here.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:05 am

Angus French wrote: I don't think that's correct. The document which was noted is here and its text on the point in question is unchanged from the previous version.
I'm not going to cross quote the text, but you might wish to read AH's comments about why he feels unable to respond about the format of the Counties Championship on this forum.

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/Forum/vi ... 0&start=20

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:29 am

Discussion is going on elsewhere about whether or not Alex can be sacked as a director. It has been pointed out that the Code of Conduct does not prohibit posting here. It also expresses prevents Alex from being dismissed, except by Council.

"Behaviour which is contrary to the principles set out in paragraph 1 or to the FIDE Code of Ethics may be subject to disciplinary action by the ECF. This may include such measures as a written warning, a temporary suspension and, in the case of officials appointed by the Board, removal from post. Officials appointed by Council may only be removed by means of a motion passed by Council"

Of course, it might be that the Board could propose a motion to Council to sack a director and, of course, Council might pass such a motion. So clearly Alex needs to be shaking in his boots at present....

Mr Christopher Fegan clearly hasn't read that bit of the Code.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:52 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:Mr Christopher Fegan clearly hasn't read that bit of the Code.
He seems to bringing the ECF into disrepute - maybe someone should complain about him?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:59 pm

Chris Fegan on Mr. Hibbard wrote:I understand that he is not an ECF Member, does not have an ECF Grade and is therefore not an active chess player.

What is his interest and motivation in running a Social Media Forum about chess?
A far better strategy Chris would be to shut up as you make yourself look more foolish every time you post :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:04 pm

Robert Kane appears to be able to sling some mud in the hope it sticks and then run away and hide.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:36 pm

I'm not that interested, but I was going to saunter over to the other place to express a view on this rather shoddy episode ... "resource limit reached" though, so I guess it'll be another couple of months before I pop back there ...

Paul