BRITISH CHAMPIONSHIP 2016 & 2017

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

Re: BRITISH CHAMPIONSHIP 2016 & 2017

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:25 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:I'd have a look at what the city might have to offer in 2017 before making such judgements.
There's a Congress at the end of this month. It has a move rate, I've never played, namely G/100 without increments. That's for a Congress structured along 1/2/2 lines as well. The early finish on Sunday does at least facilitate visitors from the south being able to catch the last through train.

http://www.hullchess.com/documents/2015 ... 20Form.pdf

PaulTalbot

Post by PaulTalbot » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:41 am

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Hull is the UK Capital of Culture for 2017. It also has a fine chess tradition as Hull Chess Club were the winners of the Yorkshire League first division every year from 1987-2000 inclusive, a record that will take some serious beating. Just because a city has a reputation for being a bit drab doesn't mean it is obliged to stay that way - it seems as if Hull City Council are trying to regenerate the city for the 21st century. I'd have a look at what the city might have to offer in 2017 before making such judgements.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thank you for that but I don't care what Hull is or what it intends to be, I'm not going to Hull for my holidays. I suggest the ECF look elsewhere or expect one of the lowest turnouts on record.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:02 am

PaulTalbot wrote: Thank you for that but I don't care what Hull is or what it intends to be, I'm not going to Hull for my holidays. I suggest the ECF look elsewhere or expect one of the lowest turnouts on record.
This year's British had an excellent turnout and Coventry/Warwick is just about as far from the seaside as it is possible to get! :roll:

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:18 am

I think that the main pulling power of the British Championships should be the quality of chess, but as the ECF has gone for the model of a tourist event then Hull wouldn't be my first choice (neither was Coventry); but the strongest British in recent times was Sheffield so it proves that if you have a good funding for the top players it drives entries and location isn't a much of a factor

Paul, If you are using the British as a holiday then you really should be looking at tournaments abroad much better value and experience, and fundamentally better run in the whole

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:40 am

Sheffield/Coventry probably a little bit easier to reach of course.

And if you can't stand Hull for some reason, you could go and stay in Beverley :) The general location is definitely fine for a holiday - you're nearly in the wolds, the NY moors are no real distance and there's a lot of nice coast nearby with it. York/Lincoln not far.

The chess tradition is incredible really. I can't imagine anyone getting near matching that many wins in a row again. Even if you can get the players, keeping them motivated over that period of time is very hard.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:02 pm

PaulTalbot wrote: Surely a major consideration should be that the venue is based in a holiday destination for the sake of family members who go along to support players. Bournemouth, Torquay, both brilliant, Hull No! No! No!
It's all in the eye of the beholder, I guess. One man's "brilliant holiday destination" is another man's tacky, overpriced seaside resort.

Of course there is plenty of nice countryside and coastline near Torquay and Bournemouth, but the same applies to Hull.

PaulTalbot

Post by PaulTalbot » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:07 pm

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<but the strongest British in recent times was Sheffield so it proves that if you have a good funding for the top players it drives entries and location isn't a much of a factor>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My lads play in the tournament and me and their mum use the time as a holiday, generally spending time visiting coffee shops, having cream teas, walking along the sea front and watching a little bit of the chess. That's why Torquay and Bournemouth are great. 'Up north' generally doesn't have the same weather and certainly doesn't have the same appeal.

We had a few days in Warwick, that's all (because we know it is a nice uni). I (on my own) attended Sheffield for a weekend. When you say it was a strong tourney I take it that you are referring to the number of top grandmasters who were paid to play there and not a large number of entries.

The ECF should recognise that it has some responsibilities to the families of contestants who wish to support their family members whilst at the same time enjoying a nice holiday, or else they risk losing these people to tournaments abroad as someone kindly suggested. The tournament is 2 weeks long. To the contestants the actual playing hall is important because that is where they spend their 2 weeks, but a supporting family member wouldn't spend 2 weeks holiday in a city centre.

We want south coast, sea front, sunshine, coffee shops and little country villages and country walks, NOT the north, wind, rain, city centre's and car fumes. Even the Yorkshire moors is generally cold wet and windy, beautiful but not a place to visit twice. So if it does go to Hull, I think I'll encourage the lads to look at some tourneys abroad.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:48 pm

To be fair I'm not sure I would go to Hull for a whole fortnight (I normally only visit the championship over the weekend which is a bit different).

It's well worth noting that Hull has not been confirmed as the venue for the event so this is just idle discussion. As I noted above Hull is the UK City of Culture for 2017 and I believe that the Hull & District Chess Association are planning some events to coincide and have expressed an interest in the championships forming a part of that - I'd also add this is not the Olympics and there is no bidding process as such. However a chess community willing to get behind the event and help promote it is worth something - in Warwick I understand that local dignitaries were approached and simply did not want to know.

I take some of Paul Talbot's points but his original post suggested his main objection was being laughed at for saying he was going to Hull for a holiday. Dare I say that a fair few of us probably raise eyebrows when we say we intend to use our free time playing chess? IF Hull is announced for 2017 (and that is an IF) I hope that people will look at what the city has to offer as the 2017 City of Culture before making prejudiced judgements.

On a wider point there is a case for a Northern Championship sometime soon as 2017 will be five years distant from the previous one (North Shields 2012). If `up North` is not suitable for chess events is it any wonder there is a disconnect between the ECF and chess players in the North (who of course are expected to be members of the national body))
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:57 pm

PaulTalbot wrote:<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<but the strongest British in recent times was Sheffield so it proves that if you have a good funding for the top players it drives entries and location isn't a much of a factor>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My lads play in the tournament and me and their mum use the time as a holiday, generally spending time visiting coffee shops, having cream teas, walking along the sea front and watching a little bit of the chess. That's why Torquay and Bournemouth are great. 'Up north' generally doesn't have the same weather and certainly doesn't have the same appeal.

We had a few days in Warwick, that's all (because we know it is a nice uni). I (on my own) attended Sheffield for a weekend. When you say it was a strong tourney I take it that you are referring to the number of top grandmasters who were paid to play there and not a large number of entries.

The ECF should recognise that it has some responsibilities to the families of contestants who wish to support their family members whilst at the same time enjoying a nice holiday, or else they risk losing these people to tournaments abroad as someone kindly suggested. The tournament is 2 weeks long. To the contestants the actual playing hall is important because that is where they spend their 2 weeks, but a supporting family member wouldn't spend 2 weeks holiday in a city centre.

We want south coast, sea front, sunshine, coffee shops and little country villages and country walks, NOT the north, wind, rain, city centre's and car fumes. Even the Yorkshire moors is generally cold wet and windy, beautiful but not a place to visit twice. So if it does go to Hull, I think I'll encourage the lads to look at some tourneys abroad.
So by the sound of it you have very specific ideas on where the British should be held, always down South and never up-North, very inclusive.

I agree city centres aren't ideal but sometimes it is all the ECF can get with their budget constraints, but I think any seaside resort in the country is adequate, British summer weather isn't exact reliable wherever you go in the country.

If you want guaranteed good weather then abroad is your better alternative, though this isn't always the case

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:59 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote: On a wider point there is a case for a Northern Championship sometime soon as 2017 will be five years distant from the previous one (North Shields 2012).
That case is weakened by the observation that the NCCU had three Championships in five years, namely Liverpool 2008, Sheffield 2011 and North Shields.

I was reflecting that in terms of distance or time from where I live, the University of Warwick in 2015 was probably the closest since the University of Warwick in 1970. Also the SCCU area has only had Hove in 1997 and Canterbury in 2010 in the past twenty years. In fairness, most of the coastline is in WECU or EACU areas.

PaulTalbot

Post by PaulTalbot » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:05 pm

Just so that people know; I am from 'up north', Wigan actually, which is why I can speak without prejudice about the north and tell you for sure that the weather is usually much better in the south.

PaulTalbot

Post by PaulTalbot » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:08 pm

Canterbury was good because it was a lovely city to visit. We stayed in Whitstable (on the coast) and just travelled the 20 miles into Canterbury for the tourney.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:12 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:In fairness, most of the coastline is in WECU or EACU areas.
You what? A look at a map suggests that EACU has less coastline than any other region except MCCU.

(It also suggests that if you go by amount of coastline, the obvious region to hold the tournament in is Scotland.)

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:14 pm

Just to clarify - I meant the North generally as opposed to the specific geographical chess regions and I appreciate that North Shields 2012 was the second Northern Championship in succession and for a time the event was at Scarborough in alternate years.

Paul Talbot's latest posts crossed with mine. Before this turns into a geographical slanging match the one thing I would ask him (and anybody else) is not to reject Hull out of hand. There is an annual congress (as Roger noted - it's not one I've actually been to) and also a simultaneous display every November against a high profile guest so plenty of opportunities to check out the city.

I'm starting to sound like the Hull tourist board when I've only ever been there to play chess!
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:19 pm

Hull actually seems to do quite well climate wise from Wikipedia. Like the rest of the NE in general really - 'all' the rain falls on the Pennines/Manchester :) (or Wigan come to that!).

If you do want a fairly authentic sea side resort could always do it north a little in Bridlington.

West coast of Scotland would definitely introduce proper amounts of rain to the equation :)