Tradewise agree generous funding to assist English chess

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Mick Norris

Re: Tradewise agree generous funding to assist English chess

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:57 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:Tradewise already has a presence in UK Motor Insurance although not usually marketed under its own name.
The ECF deal appears to be a first for that.

http://www.insure4aday.co.uk/tradewise-insurance

ECF members are directed to https://www.tradewise64.com/, but the rest of the world would probably find
http://www.tradewise.co.uk except they would get a redirect to http://www.tradewiseinsurance.com/ which doesn't exist.

So something of a rebuild going on behind the scenes.

Google "tradewise insurance"
You can see the details on the FCA register
here
and
unicom
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:21 pm

Mick, this is a UK based broker operation which is a trading partner of Tradewise Insurance Company Limited in Gibraltar. The insurer itself (which is the company providing the sponsorship) is based in Gibraltar and is regulated by the Financial Services Commission in Gibraltar. You can see the details here:

http://www.fsc.gi/fsclists/Details.aspx?EntityID=6740

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:27 pm

Mike Truran wrote:You can see the details here:
and on the FCA/PRA register
http://www.fsa.gov.uk/register/firmBasi ... ?sid=80778

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:22 pm

Perhaps an insurance company that understands that chess is hardly hazardous. For my recent trip to Kos, Direct Line told me my travel insurance wouldn't cover any aspect of competitive chess. "How about sitting by the pool in the afternoon analysing my game from the morning?" I asked. "Any aspect of competitive chess" replied the broker, clearly bothered by those pointy bishops. "Looking up the draw for the next round?" "Any aspect of competitive chess" retorted the voice as if I hadn't heard first time. Needless to say Direct Line didn't get my business.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:40 pm

You couldn't make it up.

Presumably they think those pesky migrants landing in Kos from across the water in Turkey are all armed, dangerous and expert chess players who might resort to physical violence if they lost a game of chess to you. :roll:

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:09 pm

Mike Truran wrote:You couldn't make it up.
I looked it up at source.

You can find it in http://www.directline.com/lib/pdf/dl-tr ... cument.pdf

It's not specifically chess related, but on page 12, it asks you to phone a help line if
the main purpose of your journey is to take part in a particular activity;
Is this a general condition imposed by travel insurers or a Direct Line speciality? Either way, perhaps it's something the ECF, or perhaps better the S&RA would like to take up with the insurance industry.

Did they perhaps just ask for an extra premium for taking part in a dangerous activity like an organised chess tournament, or did they want to exclude cover entirely?

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:35 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mike Truran wrote:You couldn't make it up.
I looked it up at source.

You can find it in http://www.directline.com/lib/pdf/dl-tr ... cument.pdf

It's not specifically chess related, but on page 12, it asks you to phone a help line if
the main purpose of your journey is to take part in a particular activity;
Is this a general condition imposed by travel insurers or a Direct Line speciality? Either way, perhaps it's something the ECF, or perhaps better the S&RA would like to take up with the insurance industry.

Did they perhaps just ask for an extra premium for taking part in a dangerous activity like an organised chess tournament, or did they want to exclude cover entirely?
All travel insurers will have competitive activity inclusions / exclusions of one sort or another, but it is hardly possible for these to cover every activity by name. What they tend not to like is professional physical competition. The Direct Line rep in this case seems to have been being pretty obtuse.

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:17 am

Jack

I just returned from a county u-180 semi final where we (Middlesex) beat Warichshire 10-6 and heard from a reliable source that after 5 years the ECF is reinstating trophies for the winners on finals day 4th July. Better late than never and finally a step in the right direction.

Who knows? you might even get your sandwiches too :D

Regards

Martin
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:39 am

Martin Crichton wrote:Jack

I just returned from a county u-180 semi final where we (Middlesex) beat Warichshire 10-6 and heard from a reliable source that after 5 years the ECF is reinstating trophies for the winners on finals day 4th July. Better late than never and finally a step in the right direction.

Who knows? you might even get your sandwiches too :D

Regards

Martin
Shouldn't this be in the Counties Championship section? There were trophies last year - we won some. It's a pity that we can't have sandwiches and trophies! :)

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:27 pm

Brilliant Tradewise and the ECF. Big prizes for the Open Grand Prix, and decent riches for the other sections. The women's haul is especially good news at all levels. And it all starts this weekend, with Colwyn Bay and Hampstead, then the Weald, 4NCL Birmingham and Leeds, with the British after that. Chess players might start looking at the Grand Prix tables again!

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:52 am

David Gilbert wrote:Brilliant Tradewise and the ECF. Big prizes for the Open Grand Prix, and decent riches for the other sections. The women's haul is especially good news at all levels. And it all starts this weekend, with Colwyn Bay and Hampstead, then the Weald, 4NCL Birmingham and Leeds, with the British after that. Chess players might start looking at the Grand Prix tables again!
A link to what David is talking about there. It does look good.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:58 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote: A link to what David is talking about there. It does look good.
There would be a need to check the small print for definitions of "most improved" player. Players not resident in England take part in English leagues and Congresses. Even those resident may be new to English chess, but not new to chess.

As far as the main prizes are concerned, is it a winner takes all? This harks back to the original Miles v Bennett race back in 1973/74.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:39 am

It does look good.

Wonder how the most improved player is defined - you'd have to exclude all these F grades or you'll get people going +50 all the time :)

The juniors seem to have to play 24 games minimum to qualify which obviously helps. Although even there, do they mean that the prize categories are people starting from 100+/140+ then improve or where they end the season? Could easily be different categories!

Mark Ashley

Post by Mark Ashley » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:36 pm

Now i can start winning games again ;-)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:44 am

Chris Rice wrote:
ECF President Dominic Lawson remarked, “I am delighted my initial discussions with James Humphreys, during the recent Tradewise Open in Gibraltar, have ultimately led to this agreement, which will safeguard the Hastings tournament - a fixture on the international chess scene since 1895”
- Dominic Lawson, ECF President
Ray Keene actually had the initial discussions before the ECF moved in. Steve Giddins ‏has already tweeted that it is "disgusting that Ray Keene's pivotal contribution to securing this deal has been airbrushed out of history".
Strange too that it now transpires that Bob Kane has to stay with the ECF or else the sponsorship bites the dust
Any postings on here represent my personal views