Tradewise agree generous funding to assist English chess

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Michael Farthing

Re: Tradewise agree generous funding to assist English chess

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:12 am

Well, that's the leaked gloss... All the ECF has said is that Bob will manage the relationship as part of Dominic's team. Traditionally directors have picked their own teams so why should this be a problem or even a matter of speculation? Council decided it did not want Bob on the Board (perhaps simply because it wanted Alex and thought it prudent not to have both). That should in no way prevent people from contributing in other ways if they can be of value. I can't claim to be a Bob Kane fan, but ostracism??

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:22 am

Michael Farthing wrote: Traditionally directors have picked their own teams
With many posts having been downgraded from director on creation of the ECF, I would have said the tradition is more one of the Board appointing officers on behalf of Council. It would be another small reform if officers were provisionally appointed before the AGM and then rubber stamped by the AGM.

It appears Phil Ehr started a debate with the rest of the Board on this as to whether the whole Board had to approve officers or whether Directors could have their own pet appointments.

It's in the minutes of Board meeting 91, which implies both systems in operation.
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... -final.pdf

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:40 am

Just so there is no confusion, in previous years I believe individual directors nominated members of their team and the board either approved or rejected them. Last year Phil Ehr decided that Managers required board level appointment but all other appointments would go through him only. It may have been an attempt to save the board time by not requiring them to rubber stamp appointments.

Ultimately appointed ECF officials are accountable to the director concerned and elected ECF officials are accountable to council. I don't think it would be helpful for council to make every appointment. In terms of `pet` appointments the ECF is a volunteer led association and a relatively close knit one so directors and officials are going to rely on people they know to help out.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:50 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:I don't think it would be helpful for council to make every appointment.

Not every appointment I agree, particularly with the size of the team supporting the Junior Director. There are several positions which would naturally be Board level and AGM elected if the ECF were prepared to have a larger Board. This would include Grading, British Championship and possibly even Strategic Planning.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:09 pm

I think my original post on this has been taken a little literally. I was not concerned with the mechanics of appointment and who signed it off - my point was that a director would commonly bring forward names for his own team and in a relatively harmonious Board fellow directors would tend to accept his suggestions.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:18 pm

Mike Truran wrote:Mick, this is a UK based broker operation which is a trading partner of Tradewise Insurance Company Limited in Gibraltar. The insurer itself (which is the company providing the sponsorship) is based in Gibraltar and is regulated by the Financial Services Commission in Gibraltar. You can see the details here:

http://www.fsc.gi/fsclists/Details.aspx?EntityID=6740
I have contacted Tradewise via the ECF website for a car insurance quote, and the lady who rang and emailed me is from Unicom

The quote looks good, less than half my renewal quote from Churchill, and marginally cheaper than AON
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:39 pm

Unicom are an insurance broker, and one of Tradewise Insurance Company Limited's largest agents. They share the same offices as Tradewise in Enfield.

Sounds like they've done a good job for you, Mick!

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:18 pm

Yes :D
Any postings on here represent my personal views