Tradewise agree generous funding to assist English chess

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
John Upham

Tradewise agree generous funding to assist English chess

Post by John Upham » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:31 pm

The English Chess Federation and the Tradewise Insurance Company are pleased to announce that Tradewise have agreed generous funding to assist English chess.
Building on its sponsorship of the Tradewise Gibraltar Chess Festival - acclaimed as the world’s leading open chess tournament pioneering women’s participation - Tradewise will now be sponsoring the English Chess Federation, in order to enable ---
1) The Hastings International Chess Congress, the world’s oldest tournament, to continue as a fixture in English chess heritage;
2) The ECF Grand Prix to incorporate new prizes for club players, and incentives for female participation;
3) Assistance for promising players to earn international title norms in England
Tradewise Chairman James Humphreys stated, “This is a great step forwards in the modernising of chess sponsorship. All with a motor vehicle must purchase insurance, and with every policy purchased via Tradewise 64, the greater the benefit for the world of chess. I sincerely believe this initiative is one that will be noticed, and applaud the ECF for making this happen”
ECF President Dominic Lawson remarked, “I am delighted my initial discussions with James Humphreys, during the recent Tradewise Open in Gibraltar, have ultimately led to this agreement, which will safeguard the Hastings tournament - a fixture on the international chess scene since 1895”
Tradewise will become the English Chess Federation’s official insurance provider.
For ECF members only – Tradewise aims to match or better your current insurance premium, with as much as 10% of your premium paid back into chess. Tradewise is the only motor car insurance company that provides UK-wide cover for your laptop or tablet.
Please contact Bob Kane for details - [email protected].
Visit the Tradewise website here - https://www.tradewise64.com/

- Dominic Lawson, ECF President
:D
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

David Gilbert

Re: Tradewise agree generous funding to assist English chess

Post by David Gilbert » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:41 pm

As Annette Hanshaw might have said..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aXpty_1xo4

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:52 pm

I predict an outpouring of cynicism and negativity will follow...

Those will be the type of posts which critics of this place will enjoy.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:05 pm

With the obvious rider that time will tell, as with all sponsorship agreements, this is obviously very good news: at the outset, it is hard to see why anyone would want to be cynical about a firm which has done so much, and over quite some time, for chess already.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:08 pm

John Upham wrote:I predict an outpouring of cynicism and negativity will follow....
Motor Insurance can be important. Due diligence is necessary. On the face of it, it represents a new venture by Tradewise to go into the UK retail market dealing directly with consumers, so you might wonder what standards of service and claim handling they are able to offer. It's for experienced drivers only by the way, age 25 and two year's experience being needed. You might also hope their website author knows the difference between ex-patriot and expatriate.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:18 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
John Upham wrote:I predict an outpouring of cynicism and negativity will follow....
You might also hope their website author knows the difference between ex-patriot and expatriate.
and presumably an ex-parrot?

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:21 pm

ECF President Dominic Lawson remarked, “I am delighted my initial discussions with James Humphreys, during the recent Tradewise Open in Gibraltar, have ultimately led to this agreement, which will safeguard the Hastings tournament - a fixture on the international chess scene since 1895”
- Dominic Lawson, ECF President
Ray Keene actually had the initial discussions before the ECF moved in. Steve Giddins ‏has already tweeted that it is "disgusting that Ray Keene's pivotal contribution to securing this deal has been airbrushed out of history".

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:46 pm

Well obviously it is scandalous not to acknowledge the original author as I am sure Steve would agree.

Out of interest, do we know how much this works out at?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:55 pm

JustinHorton wrote: Out of interest, do we know how much this works out at?
(1) is whatever it would need to keep Hastings running as a plausible International tournament and that could be as much as they wanted to spend. If they really wanted to go to town, they might reinstate the all play all.

(2) and (3) are equally variable and may depend on how many chess players switch their car insurance to Tradewise.

It's increasing the ECF's powers of patronage, since with one hand they are demanding more money from club players to finance the ECF's reserves and International teams, whilst with the other they are handing it back in ways as yet unspecified.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:58 pm

JustinHorton wrote:Well obviously it is scandalous not to acknowledge the original author as I am sure Steve would agree.
:lol:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:59 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:(1) is whatever it would need to keep Hastings running as a plausible International tournament and that could be as much as they wanted to spend. If they really wanted to go to town, they might reinstate the all play all.
Presumably within certain limits though, i.e. I don't suppose if the ECF say "we need half a million quid to have Hastings headlined by a match between Roger de Coverly and Justin Horton" they're going to say "no problem".
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:05 pm

John Upham wrote:I predict an outpouring of cynicism and negativity will follow...

Those will be the type of posts which critics of this place will enjoy.
Indeed

It looks very much like Andrew Paulson's idea that rather than trying to get individual events sponsored, you package up the whole of English Chess and offer it to a sponsor - his idea being you could have 1 big sponsor who would have their name on the British Championship, England teams - open/women/junior/senior, all ECF events (county, club etc)

I guess we all might have come up with a marginally different list (e.g. I wouldn't have picked Hastings, but I can see why it has been chosen), but it sounds like good news

Maybe the ECF Library might find a home in the process?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:12 pm

JustinHorton wrote: Presumably within certain limits though,
I should think the Hastings committee know what they can achieve with various levels of sponsorship and Tradewise would know what they spend on Gibraltar and what they get for it. The Hastings context is that this year for 2015-16 the Council halved the grant and next year cut it entirely. Presumably the minimum would be to replicate the Council funding, but if they wanted more prestigious players, the amounts available for prizes, travel and accommodation grants would have to be increased. The highest rated player in 2014-15 was Rodshtein at 2676, none of the open England Olympiad team appearing.
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:18 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:I should think the Hastings committee know what they can achieve with various levels of sponsorship and Tradewise would know what they spend on Gibraltar and what they get for it. The Hastings context is that this year for 2015-16 the Council halved the grant and next year cut it entirely. Presumably the minimum would be to replicate the Council funding, but if they wanted more prestigious players, the amounts available either for prizes, travel and accommodation grants would have to be increased.
Quite so, which is kind of why I'm wondering what the limits might be. I'm guessing for instance it's less than this. Of course it may be that there's no specific stated limit.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:34 pm

JustinHorton wrote: Of course it may be that there's no specific stated limit.
The amounts from the local authority are documented.

http://www.hastingschess.com/hastings-c ... nding-cut/

So £ 20,000 for 2014-15, £ 10,000 for 2015-16 and £ nil after that.