ECF Elections 2015

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Mick Norris

Re: ECF Elections 2015

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:51 pm

Presumably the Controller-Arbiter Nexus will have someone in mind

Maybe Alex H?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Steve Rooney

Post by Steve Rooney » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:57 pm

John Reyes wrote: Can anyone Fill Phil Ehr shoes? Who would wanted to be the chief Ex now? you need someone like an Sir Alex Fergurson type of person, and is there one in the ECF???

I do 100% Agreed with Mick Norris as it is easy to vote someone out, but you need someone who can do the job. I can't name one person unless you bring back Martin Regan maybe?
John, I think all those suggestions are preposterous. Just let those elected to the board get on with it. I predict that the directors will carry on with their work with renewed vigour, free from the disharmony that has been so evident in the past couple of years. If they feel the need for someone to take on a co-ordinating role as chief exec, then they can instigate a search for the right person.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:07 pm

Steve Rooney wrote:I predict that the directors will carry on with their work with renewed vigour, free from the disharmony that has been so evident in the past couple of years. If they feel the need for someone to take on a co-ordinating role as chief exec, then they can instigate a search for the right person.
I'm rather inclined to agree, it not being clear that the absence of a CEO prevents normal activities taking place. They managed a year without a CEO formally being in place a couple of years ago. Did having an insider as President help? But he was warned off taking any initiatives by a handful of powerful Council voters.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:11 pm

John Reyes wrote: Can anyone Fill Phil Ehr shoes?
Surely the decisions just taken by Council, for better or worse, make it clear that they consider those size 15s should be hung up.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:12 pm

John, reading these threads you would be forgiven for thinking it was indeed some form of rocket science...but its not.
We`re talking here about the encouragement of chess at all levels in this country... in simple terms, that's the mission.
Plenty of people could fill the roles on offer...but they should read the job spec s carefully before applying..
It would be interesting to check what other similar types of organisations do, and how they approach things, i.e. say Bridge...
I bet they don't have any of this nonsense of `non of these candidates` in there voting procedures..
The posts should be advertised asap, or a short list drawn up to head hunt preferred candidates..
BRING BACK THE BCF

IanCalvert

Post by IanCalvert » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:26 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
John Reyes wrote: Can anyone Fill Phil Ehr shoes?
Surely the decisions just taken by Council, for better or worse, make it clear that they consider those size 15s should be hung up.
Is John Philpott , de facto acting CEO, now? I guess he would have to write the minutes of Board meetings before the event which would not be his style... but maybe when West Ham are playing??

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:41 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:Where was the President?
His report apologises for his absence.
http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... report.pdf

That's was published long before Phil Ehr's screed along with his expected absence being made known in the voting register.
Other results have obscured the interesting fact that yesterday Dominic Lawson became the first incumbent President to win re-election since CJ de Mooi in 2011. I suspect we will have to go back quite a bit before that to find the last time a Presidential election was less contentious.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:44 pm

IanCalvert wrote: Is John Philpott , de facto acting CEO, now?

He isn't a member of the Board, so I wouldn't have thought so. They've been there before with a year's gap between Andrew Farthing stepping down and Phil Ehr being elected.

Martin Regan

Post by Martin Regan » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:46 pm

AZ:
I suspect we will have to go back quite a bit before that to find the last time a Presidential election was less contentious.
But will he, having been firmly in the Ehr camp, remain.

As for CEO my understanding is that the "old reactionary" brigade already have someone lined up.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:56 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote: I suspect we will have to go back quite a bit before that to find the last time a Presidential election was less contentious.
I don't think there was any challenger to Gerry Walsh until Martin Regan's team attempted in 2006. 2007 was unopposed and there were no contested elections. There was no significant opposition at the 2008 AGM despite the departure of the Regan team earlier in the year. In 2009 he decided to stand down and we got CJ by a wide margin. By 2006 he had already broken what appeared a post 1945 convention, that the President or Chairman served for no longer than three or four years.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:46 pm

Martin Regan wrote: But will he, having been firmly in the Ehr camp, remain.
Not firmly enough to turn up at the meeting, where he might well have made a difference.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Martin Regan

Post by Martin Regan » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:13 pm

Not firmly enough to turn up at the meeting, where he might well have made a difference.
I'm not sure any of those in the Ehr camp expected quite the massacre that occured.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:39 pm

Martin Regan wrote: I'm not sure any of those in the Ehr camp expected quite the massacre that occured.
I thought Nick Faulks observations of interest, as someone present as a visitor rather than as a voting representative. I'm not sure how it compared with a typical FIDE meeting, but he rather implied the assembled representatives were treated with excess contempt, rather than voters to be convinced or manipulated. Was it to his disadvantage that no alternative candidate was put up to run so he couldn't attack them in addition to his fellow directors?

There are usually at least two personal reports on these meetings made public as well as those in private from representatives reporting back. It will be interesting to see if they observe that opposition hardened over the meeting.

As to who should take over, I don't know. I would hope that whoever does is prepared to let his or her fellow directors function without threats of realigning their responsibilities hanging over them.

Martin Regan

Post by Martin Regan » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:46 pm

I'm not sure how it compared with a typical FIDE meeting, but he rather implied the assembled representatives were treated with excess contempt, rather than voters to be convinced or manipulated.
or indeed, given FIDE, bribed.

Though yes I did find his report interesting.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:22 pm

Martin Regan wrote: or indeed, given FIDE, bribed.
And men didn't land on the moon.