Trying to renew membership

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Jon Mahony

Re: Trying to renew membership

Post by Jon Mahony » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:08 am

Renewed mine without any problems yesterday :) It is a good idea not to leave it till the last minute, I let mine laps by a few days, a couple of years ago, and it was more of a hassle to fix.

Was going to pop for Gold this year but changed my mind and stuck with Silver - the only time I’ll ever need Gold it is for the 4NCL congresses, and then I can’t see myself playing enough FIDE rated players to get my own grade. It all seems very quiet on the western front with Sean and e2-e4 despite him posting on here around January time, saying he had venues booked for the coming year.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:40 am

Jon Mahony wrote:and then I can’t see myself playing enough FIDE rated players to get my own grade
Remember that you only need five nowadays
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:15 pm

Jon Mahony wrote:It all seems very quiet on the western front with Sean and e2-e4 despite him posting on here around January time, saying he had venues booked for the coming year.
Did any one ever find out out why Sean give up on those e2 e4 events? If i remember he was asked many times on here about why he had stoped them.
We have got to renew Peter membership to silver this year which is enough to play FIDE events? or do you have to be gold?
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:21 pm

Must be Gold for FIDE rated standard play.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:24 pm

Mike Truran wrote:Must be Gold for FIDE rated standard play.
Ok thanks for the information saves reading the ECF membership page! Has Peter is off to university this october he may wish to take part in the chess club at the university.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:48 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:
Jon Mahony wrote:It all seems very quiet on the western front with Sean and e2-e4 despite him posting on here around January time, saying he had venues booked for the coming year.
Did any one ever find out out why Sean give up on those e2 e4 events? If i remember he was asked many times on here about why he had stoped them
He seemed to stop after his dispute with the ECF, I wonder if the episode has just put him off Chess. Shame though, I never got to do one of those events, I'd be going to nearly every one now.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:54 pm

Oh well, you've got ours as the next best thing! :D

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:41 pm

Mike Truran wrote:Oh well, you've got ours as the next best thing! :D
Indeed Mike, you won't keep me away from many of those :)

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:18 pm

Jon Mahony wrote:
He seemed to stop after his dispute with the ECF, I wonder if the episode has just put him off Chess. Shame though, I never got to do one of those events, I'd be going to nearly every one now.
Sean never said on here as far as i an aware why he give up running the e2 e4 events but your reason is as good has others i have heard! Wonder why he was so shy about posting on here about why he called it a day.

Should be fun when Peter goes into the chess club at the University and the person running it says do you play chess :lol:

We will upgrade it to gold for him in case the University does enter FIDE events. I thought you could play FIDE events with sliver.

Right time to make a cup of tea and think about buying a boat after all this rain we geting.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:32 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:
Jon Mahony wrote:
Sean never said on here as far as i an aware why he give up running the e2 e4 events but your reason is as good has others i have heard! Wonder why he was so shy about posting on here about why he called it a day.
He said last December that he hadn't called it a day:
Sean Hewitt wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:Let it go there are no e2e4 events.
Thanks for letting us know. What would you suggest that we do with the contracts we've agreed for 2015?
I'm not aware of any further statements on the subject.
Peter D Williams wrote:Should be fun when Peter goes into the chess club at the University and the person running it says do you play chess :lol:
But probably not as amusing as it was about 15 years ago when Topalov turned up at a French League match to watch his girlfriend play. The next day, at lunch, prior to the second match of the weekend, one of the team asked him if he played chess, much to the amusement of everyone else.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:13 pm

Ian Thompson wrote: But probably not as amusing as it was about 15 years ago when Topalov turned up at a French League match to watch his girlfriend play. The next day, at lunch, prior to the second match of the weekend, one of the team asked him if he played chess, much to the amusement of everyone else.
Ive done something similar in the past. In my 2nd year of playing I went to Blackpool congress and before the start of round one I got chatting to a pleasant and slightly tipsy, brummie man. At one stage I asked him what section he was playing in, it turned out to be Keith Arkell :oops:

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:28 am

Jon Mahony wrote:
Peter D Williams wrote:
Did any one ever find out out why Sean give up on those e2 e4 events? If i remember he was asked many times on here about why he had stoped them
I have no personal information, but wasn’t it mentioned on here somewhere that Sean had two promotions in his day job in quick succession which left him with much less time to do the organising of e2e4 events? True or not, I’m struggling to believe a dispute with the ECF might be the reason he stopped running the events.

Definitely a shame though. e2e4 were great tournaments.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:18 am

Ian Thompson wrote:
He said last December that he hadn't called it a day:

I'm not aware of any further statements on the subject.

But probably not as amusing as it was about 15 years ago when Topalov turned up at a French League match to watch his girlfriend play. The next day, at lunch, prior to the second match of the weekend, one of the team asked him if he played chess, much to the amusement of everyone else.
He has given no Indication as far as i know when he may start up the e2 e4 events?

Has not given a reason on here as far as i know as to why he may have given up these events but has posted on here about other matters. So must be aware that people on here wanted to know.

It could be becuae of work or he had enough of them or the events did not make enough money to cover costs or who knows why. Take your pick! I doubt we ever find out why unless he tells us.

you would have thought the ECF would want to help him re start these events.

We are not in Topalov class so that must have been very funny.

Membership upgrade looks straight forward to me on the ECF web site

Still raining here.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:31 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote: have no personal information, but wasn’t it mentioned on here somewhere that Sean had two promotions in his day job in quick succession which left him with much less time to do the organising of e2e4 events? True or not, I’m struggling to believe a dispute with the ECF might be the reason he stopped running the events.
Definitely a shame though. e2e4 were great tournaments.
You’re probably right, life can just take over. I know from experience just running one congress a year takes a bucket load of time.

Yes, very big shame. I do keep having a sneaky peek at the e2-e4 website which seems long dead now, but as the best part of the year is over, I think we can give up hope on the 2015 venues.

I might have to look into starting the d2-d4 tournaments :wink:

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:41 pm

Jon Mahony wrote: You’re probably right, life can just take over. I know from experience just running one congress a year takes a bucket load of time.
He's named on their website as the contact point for the London Chess Classic Festival events.
http://www.londonchessclassic.com/festival_events.htm
Still got a question? All tournament related questions - Sean Hewitt (FIDE IO & Arbiter): [email protected]