ECF arbiting at Aberystwyth - FIDE perspective

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
PeterFarr

Re: ECF arbiting at Aberystwyth - FIDE perspective

Post by PeterFarr » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:49 am

Yes.

I prefer the approach taken in some sports, even at a fully professional level, that 'the referee is right even when he's wrong'. In other words a decision is accepted as being taken in good faith, and everyone moves on. I don't object to clarifying afterwards whether a decision was flawed, so that it doesn't get repeated at a future date.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:08 am

LOL, Peter, in this scenario, the referee (aka arbiter) made a decision. An hour or so later, someone who may or may not legitimately have had higher authority stepped in and overruled the referee. That someone now appears to accept what most people, including (importantly!) the complainant, have maintained all along - that the referee's decision was correct.

Put in a football context, and I admit no analogy is perfect, the referee disallows a goal and a cup-tie ends goalless. The supervising league authority later decides, although it is not transparently clear it has this power, that the referee was wrong and decides the goal stands, so 1-0. Then television coverage is produced, proving the referee was right all along.

Rad Kadengal

Post by Rad Kadengal » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:04 am

ECF still want to decide the result of the tournament: their bull ate a document last night!
Last edited by Rad Kadengal on Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:05 am

Roger Lancaster wrote:LOL, Peter, in this scenario, the referee (aka arbiter) made a decision. An hour or so later, someone who may or may not legitimately have had higher authority stepped in and overruled the referee. That someone now appears to accept what most people, including (importantly!) the complainant, have maintained all along - that the referee's decision was correct.

Put in a football context, and I admit no analogy is perfect, the referee disallows a goal and a cup-tie ends goalless. The supervising league authority later decides, although it is not transparently clear it has this power, that the referee was wrong and decides the goal stands, so 1-0. Then television coverage is produced, proving the referee was right all along.
Well I agree with you to that extent, and I do think it's at least a reasonable analogy.

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:22 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Ray Sayers wrote:I have to say, I would be a whole lot less baffled by the whole business if the following rule (which seems to apply to every game and sport I can think of - although I am sure someone in this forum will come up with Venezuelan Pig Throwing or such as an exception) was followed:

If one side is awarded a win, the other side loses!
But would you go further and say that if one sides loses, the other side wins?
Yes indeed! When someone puts their hand up and says 'you have lost this game/sport/team event' the other side has logically won.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:36 am

Ray Sayers wrote:
Yes indeed! When someone puts their hand up and says 'you have lost this game/sport/team event' the other side has logically won.
I agree with you, but ours is a minority viewpoint nowadays.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.