ECF Press Office

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Michael Flatt

ECF Press Office

Post by Michael Flatt » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:53 am

With the ECF's venture into the modern world via an improved website, discussion forum, facebook, twitter has is never struck the Board that they have no Press Officer nor Public Relations person to field enquiries regarding the activities of the ECF?

In unlikely event that one of their number posts an enigmatic statement on the ECF website that draws attention from the outside world who would a newspaper news hound or TV channel reporter address their enquiries?

What if something truely serious happened, who would respond and present the Official ECF statement?

Brian Towers

Re: ECF Press Office

Post by Brian Towers » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:43 pm

Michael Flatt wrote:In unlikely event that one of their number posts an enigmatic statement on the ECF website that draws attention from the outside world who would a newspaper news hound or TV channel reporter address their enquiries?
Having seen so many news reports where one journalist interviews another journalist either "on the ground" or safely tucked away in their office or hotel I think the answer is very clear. It would be one of Leonard Barden, Malcolm Pein, Dominic Lawson or Raymond Keene :-). Have I missed any prominent chess playing journalists there?
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:48 pm

There hasn't been an ECF Publicity Officer since I stepped down a few years ago. Its still listed as a vacancy on the ECF Website, but I'm not really sure how much effort has been given to finding someone to fill the role.

In the first instance any media enquiries would go to the office, and then I suspect it would be passed on to Phil Ehr if there were any need for an immediate comment.

Aside from answering enquiries from media, there's huge scope for the ECF to gain (good) publicity in a variety of areas. Unfortunately my feeling is that its never been much of a priority for the ECF.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:01 pm

Given the current information vacuum I would hope that it might rise up their list of priorities.

There is clearly a problem when Directors and Officers claim to speak on behalf of the ECF and yet send out contradictory messages and even admit not to have spoken to anyone else before shooting from the hip.

The two I would most understand making Public statement are the CEO, Phil Ehr, and the Company Secretary, John Philpott.

It would help if any written statements included the name or authority of the poster. Mostly, Phil does put his name to anything he posts. The official notices to call meetings, etc carry John's name. A lot of the other stuff is posted anonymously.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:11 pm

Good News - The ECF now have a Publicity Manager, Mark Jordan.

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/new-ecf- ... y-manager/

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:43 pm

Good luck to Mark

Nice to see something about Keith on the ECF website today, maybe things are looking up already
Any postings on here represent my personal views

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:00 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Good luck to Mark

Nice to see something about Keith on the ECF website today, maybe things are looking up already
It's taken some time but it's finally appeared :D

Too late to report Mickey's progress sadly :cry: