OMOV A serious discussion

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Martin Regan

Re: OMOV A serious discussion

Post by Martin Regan » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:09 pm

Rdc:
We've just had a Governance Review and it doesn't appear this important if pedantic procedural point has been addressed. Given that it has to be an issue faced by all CLGs, what has been their solution?
I'm not sure that its a procedural point, more a matter of law.

I would imagine that other GLCs have solved the problem by making sure that only those entitled to vote can vote. The ECF may have done the same.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:21 pm

Martin Regan wrote: I would imagine that other GLCs have solved the problem by making sure that only those entitled to vote can vote. The ECF may have done the same.
If the assertion is that only those who have signed a form are allowed to vote in CLGs, that's something of an impediment to the operation of CLGs if they want OMOV style governance. If true, isn't it worth a moan in the ECF's submission to the SRA/DCMS as to why people don't take up sport?

Gerry_Jepps

Post by Gerry_Jepps » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:37 pm

It seems to me that the present structure of the ECF bears a superficial resemblance to the British parliamentary system. Constituencies (i.e. County Associations, Leagues etc.) elect MPs (Council delegates) that in turn elects a Government (Board of Directors). On closer inspection the resemblance is to the parliamentary system as it was prior to the reform Act of 1832, complete with Rotten Boroughs. Most Council delegates are elected at meetings of perhaps a dozen or so Club representatives who are probably more interested in discussing the intricacies of the latest amendment to local League rules than ECF affairs. Individual players have no real connection with the ECF beyond paying their membership fee and receiving a grade.

The present system with only a nominal no. of members reps is just window dressing. The phrase 'taxation without representation' comes to mind.

A change that would give the membership a significantly closer connection with the ECF would be to widen the franchise for electing Council delegates. Why not enable on-line voting for Council delegates based on geographical/club/League affiliation? With candidates drawn from the wider membership base, not simply those few who turn up at County/League AGMs.