ECF AGM aftermath

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Mick Norris

Re: ECF AGM aftermath

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:18 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mick Norris wrote: Does that mean we have 11 new members of the nexus?
Most of the participants would be familiar names as people you see behind the control desk at ECF graded events, or as voting attendees at ECF meetings.
I was only aware of three who passed that are active ECF arbiters; Dickinson, Elwin & Thorpe (albeit he's Welsh) but there may be others who perform the roles you mention that I'm not aware of and apologies to them if that's the case.
Ok, then 8 new members of the nexus then :lol:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:07 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Ok, then 8 new members of the nexus then :lol:
Surely you mean 8 members of the nexus who have now "come out"?
Clearly fear of the ducking stool is dying down.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:03 pm

Phil Ehr hasn't gone away yet. I applaud his continued interest in English chess, but his offer to attend the next county AGM is unusual to say the least.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:21 pm

J T Melsom wrote:Phil Ehr hasn't gone away yet. I applaud his continued interest in English chess, but his offer to attend the next county AGM is unusual to say the least.
Bucks? He's in London so that's next door isn't it (I'm hazy on geography south of the MCCU :lol: )?

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:25 pm

He was next door when he was in office - didn't come and see us then :)

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:52 pm

He was very visible at the Hertford Chess Congress last November talking to players and organisers. He still speaks with passion about English chess.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:02 pm

J T Melsom wrote:He was next door when he was in office - didn't come and see us then :)
Yet he came to Manchester :)

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:20 pm

Whatever people think about Phil's virtues and defects (and God knows we're all a mixture of both), his commitment to English chess is unquestionable. I for one believe that he still has a huge amount to offer.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:37 pm

Mike Truran wrote:Whatever people think about Phil's virtues and defects (and God knows we're all a mixture of both), his commitment to English chess is unquestionable. I for one believe that he still has a huge amount to offer.
He came across well in the live broadcast that I watched but cannot comment on the day to day.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:10 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:I was only aware of three who passed that are active ECF arbiters; Dickinson, Elwin & Thorpe (albeit he's Welsh) but there may be others who perform the roles you mention that I'm not aware of and apologies to them if that's the case.
Alan Atkinson and Tony Tatam are also regular arbiters (and Alan is a former BCF Director of Home Chess).

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:10 am

Mike Truran wrote:Whatever people think about Phil's virtues and defects (and God knows we're all a mixture of both), his commitment to English chess is unquestionable. I for one believe that he still has a huge amount to offer.
Phil always seemed to take the time to thank volunteers and I found it hard to reconcile this with the horror stories about what was going on behind the scenes; this contrasts with the public behavior of some of his immediate allies. It certainly says a lot about him that he remains keen to be involved after the events of last year; unless he views them as purely political.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:31 am

I've no idea about his merits and/but welcome any ongoing commitment to chess but asking our delegate/representative if he can attend our AGM without going into details is a tad odd. I don't want an apologia. We have other things to get on with... [ Speaking in a personal capacity ]

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:04 am

J T Melsom wrote:I've no idea about his merits and/but welcome any ongoing commitment to chess but asking our delegate/representative if he can attend our AGM without going into details is a tad odd.
So is he looking for support as

CEO
President
Chairman ( if such a post is reinstated)
Home Director
Junior Director
Commercial Director
non-Exec ?

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:42 am

J T Melsom wrote:I've no idea about his merits and/but welcome any ongoing commitment to chess but asking our delegate/representative if he can attend our AGM without going into details is a tad odd. I don't want an apologia. We have other things to get on with... [ Speaking in a personal capacity ]
You could always ask him why he wants to attend. Just a thought ...
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:01 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
J T Melsom wrote:I've no idea about his merits and/but welcome any ongoing commitment to chess but asking our delegate/representative if he can attend our AGM without going into details is a tad odd. I don't want an apologia. We have other things to get on with... [ Speaking in a personal capacity ]
You could always ask him why he wants to attend. Just a thought ...
:lol: