ECF AGM aftermath

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Michael Flatt

Re: ECF AGM aftermath

Post by Michael Flatt » Tue May 17, 2016 8:44 pm

Mike Truran wrote:Peter

Thanks for your kind words, and best wishes to Sarah in her new role. As regards the Sage of Bourne End's typically sour and negative comment, probably the less said the better - save to observe that the phrase "Never apologise, never explain" springs irresistibly to mind.
Communication is a difficult business. Perhaps, some note on the ECF website indicating that the post has yet to be created might have avoided the need for the question to have been raised.

Mr Stern seems to have given an acceptable response which clarified the situation perfectly and that should have been the end of the matter.

There is no need for the Chief Executive to make unwarranted personal insults. I thought that the ECF had a Policy document covering such matters - I suggest that you read and act upon it.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Tue May 17, 2016 9:05 pm

Perhaps, some note on the ECF website indicating that the post has yet to be created might have avoided the need for the question to have been raised.
I would have thought that the description "director designate" was entirely clear to all but the most obtuse (or mischievous) of readers.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Tue May 17, 2016 9:15 pm

Mike Truran wrote:
Perhaps, some note on the ECF website indicating that the post has yet to be created might have avoided the need for the question to have been raised.
I would have thought that the description "director designate" was entirely clear to all but the most obtuse (or mischievous) of readers.
That would be normal if the post existed and that the nominated post-holder was to take up the post at some future date.
Some explanation, however, is required as to how a designate can be appointed to a post that doesn't exist.

Mr Stern answered the question and provided the missing information.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue May 17, 2016 9:17 pm

Mike Truran wrote: I would have thought that the description "director designate" was entirely clear
Without the additional information that it would be proposed that the number of directors be increased, the inference is that this post has replaced that of Chairman with the "designate" bit implying that the formal appointment perhaps waited on a board meeting rather than the AGM.

Unofficial reports of the Council Finance meeting suggest that although the question of having a new director for women's chess had been raised, those present at the meeting thought they were just voting to reinstate the post of Chairman by deleting the post of Commercial Director.

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Tue May 17, 2016 9:34 pm

While acknowledging Roger's more comprehensive grasp of events, I think the main point is that the Board has been decisive and creative, preferring to act now and justify their decision at the next opportunity.

It seems that they have attracted a well qualified candidate, and they deserve applause for that. It's good news that talented people are prepared to volunteer for challenging and non- financially rewarding roles.

The thing about counting the number of directors has always seemed too inflexible to me. The right answer is the one that works.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue May 17, 2016 11:41 pm

I wish Sarah Longson well in her new role and hope she never has cause to regret volunteering for the ECF. It will be interesting to find out what her immediate priorities are in the role.

Those who have raised constitutional minutiae do have a point but the fact that a volunteer (and a new face as far as the ECF is concerned) has come forward for such a high profile role is far more important.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed May 18, 2016 12:04 pm

"I would have thought that the description "director designate" was entirely clear to all but the most obtuse (or mischievous) of readers."

No - it's jargon