ECF AGM aftermath

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

Re: ECF AGM aftermath

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:40 pm

Martin Regan wrote: Your point being - other than showing you spend far too much time searching for evidence to buttress your bright and cheerful points?
Whilst as parent, you can moan about the facilities at a major Junior event, it is not behaviour you can indulge in as CEO without running the risk of a major falling out with what, in headcount terms at least, is one of the countries' more important events.

Uncomplimentary remarks about county match venues are hostile to rather fewer people, but the organisations insulted do have a vote or two.

I'd guess the die was already cast, but remarks made to or about GMs thinking of leaving ENG would do nothing for their retention.

Is declaring that those making mild criticism of the playing conditions at events you run are unwelcome at your events, behaviour to be expected of a CEO?

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:47 pm

Is Roger worth answering?

Nah.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:52 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:Under the current rules of course Mike now cannot post here.
I am very glad to hear that news, because Mr Truran was extremely rude to me recently after I had taken a lot of trouble to provide (as I saw it) useful and well-informed information in another thread a few days ago.

Let's hope he stays in the job so that he can no longer troll here.

Otherwise (since Carl, for reasons now apparent, refused to act over the post I reported) I was about to announce my own resignation from posting at this forum.

Still I suppose you people know the new CEO and if he does a good job and English chess benefits then it will be A GOOD THING as "1066 and all that" used to say.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:01 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:

Is declaring that those making mild criticism of the playing conditions at events you run are unwelcome at your events, behaviour to be expected of a CEO?
If memory serves the issue was more to do with a complaint about the failure of a congress to publish results, made by a non competitor.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:10 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:Under the current rules of course Mike now cannot post here.
I am very glad to hear that news, because Mr Truran was extremely rude to me recently after I had taken a lot of trouble to provide (as I saw it) useful and well-informed information in another thread a few days ago.

Otherwise (since Carl, for reasons now apparent, refused to act over the post I reported) I was about to announce my own resignation from posting at this forum.

Still I suppose you people know the new CEO and if he does a good job and English chess benefits then it will be A GOOD THING as "1066 and all that" used to say.
That isn't what I said in my PM was it Tim?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:23 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:Whilst as parent, you can moan about the facilities at a major Junior event, it is not behaviour you can indulge in as CEO without running the risk of a major falling out with what, in headcount terms at least, is one of the countries' more important events.
I don't think he was complaining so much as a parent as he was trash-talking a competitor who was a long way ahead. All's fair in business and all that.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:33 pm

Tim Harding wrote:Mr Truran was extremely rude to me recently after I had taken a lot of trouble to provide (as I saw it) useful and well-informed information in another thread a few days ago.
Rather than allow perceived rudeness to turn a wobbly dobber into an ace it is better to coolly hammer a winning backhand down the line (regardless of rating differential :-) ).
Tim Harding wrote:Otherwise (since Carl, for reasons now apparent, refused to act over the post I reported) I was about to announce my own resignation from posting at this forum.
That would have been a cruel overreaction. I'm sure I'm not alone in much appreciating the interesting gems of information you share here. In any case I don't believe somebody with your deep-seated need to communicate could have maintained a boycott for long.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:51 pm

I agree with Brian; Tim's contribution here is always very interesting and would be missed.

But also I hope we don't get a long bout of unearthing for critical analysis every last post ever made by the new CEO. Let's give someone a fair chance this time.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:00 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote: If memory serves the issue was more to do with a complaint about the failure of a congress to publish results, made by a non competitor.
Well that as well. I thought it was rather my objection to the claim that a Congress offered "excellent" playing conditions when it insisted that players sat on benches (seats without backs) for up to twelve hours a day. If it was only marginally acceptable for matches hosted by Lancashire that were four hours and a bit in length, why should it be accepted for a whole day?

e2e4 has risen from the dead. Apparently I'm not welcome there either for querying why it failed to announce prize winners for several months because it was embarrassed to make public that it had cut the prize fund.

Alan Kennedy

Post by Alan Kennedy » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:10 am

I was delighted to see that Mike Truran OBE had been appointed Chief Executive. I have the highest respect for him. We were on the committee together at both Winey chess club (for seven years) and also as part of the Oxfordshire chess association. I am therefore probably as well qualified as most to comment on this appointment.

I learned a lot from Mike and he was a pleasure to work with him. It is a measure of the man that although he frequents the higher echeleons of English chess he could be found undertaken the thankless task of collecting subscriptions from slow paying chess club members or teaching the most humble junior the basics of an opening. he was totally committed to the well being of chess in the town, the county and the country. We had a lot of fun building Witney chess club (and also a lot of success winning ECF club of the year and seeing several juniors rise to the highest ranks of chess in the country). He was kind and very supportive of both me and my family and I count it an honour to have known him. Of course like all board's and committees we had the occasional disagreement and exchanged "words" but that pales into insignificance compared with enjoyable times we had, I wish him every success. Perhaps Roger D'C would like to do the same?

Carl - will Mike be posting on here. I certainly hope so and see no reason why not with the possible exception of a desire to avoid troll like behaviour from some.

Martin Regan

Post by Martin Regan » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:13 am

Tim H wrote:

I know who you are. But really who are you?

perhaps your useful informatiion was seen by others as nonsense.

With your vast ego, lack of self awareness. have some humility.

" Extremely rude".

Grow up.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:19 am

Alan Kennedy wrote: Perhaps Roger de C would like to do the same?
Unless he recants on the notion that it should be compulsory to be an ECF member to play in a graded game of chess , then NO.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:25 am

Martin Regan wrote: I know who you are. But really who are you?
Tim Harding was an Oxford University player from getting on for fifty years ago, author of works of theory for Batsford and other publishers, Correspondence IM (GM?), writer for chesscafe.com, chess historian etc. So an impressive chess CV.

It all qualifies as "well known" and outranks "captain of Cheshire and North Wales for a couple of years" in the Hastings swing doors or Olympia lift stakes.

Martin Regan

Post by Martin Regan » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:57 am

Rdc:
It all qualifies as "well known" and outranks "captain of Cheshire and North Wales for a couple of years" in the Hastings swing doors or Olympia lift stakes.
You think I don't know that. silly man.

Just as I know you are a stronger chess player than I could ever be?

but that dosn't absolve you from being a fool.

And fools you both are.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:03 am

Martin Regan wrote: And fools you both are.
The opinions about chess or even the ECF from non chess players are of little value.