International Director "recount"

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
MartinCarpenter

Re: International Director "recount"

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:51 pm

Gareth T Ellis wrote:It's so secret that our names are on the ballot paper :oops:
Ah, so secret except for the counters then :) I did wonder. That's OK if you trust them of course - and much better than nothing.

Should surely make checking that each ballot has been counted each time fairly easy? Just impose some very dull checklist sort of thing.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:48 pm

This is of course no different (well, actually it is significantly different) from national elections where each ballot paper can be traced back to the individual voter. Not many people know that....

...but I'm quite prepared to defend it.

Martin Regan

Post by Martin Regan » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:54 pm

but I'm quite prepared to defend it.
at the obvious risk of going off topic...defend

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:47 am

It is done to enable formal investigation in the event of a claim of misconduct or other irregularity after the election. A variety of low level frauds sometimes take place: for examp, impersonating other voters that you know are not going to vote otherwise - the extreme case being the custom of 'voting the dead' - those who have recently died but are still on the register. On occasion this activity has been a deliberate and organised activity by some candidates. The ballot paper holds a number that can be traced back to records kept separately of ballot papers issued. Thus, in the count, the ballot paper shows only this number which candidiates, scrutineers and counters cannot associate with elector. Ballot boxes are only opened in the count and the ballot papers are secured at the end of the count. It is thus only under extreme circumstances that a pairing of ballot paper with the registers would ever occur. I have once known a voter to refuse to cast a vote on discovering that this is done - but I am sure she didn't understand the safegruards or the reasoning, but sadly she was so horrified that she was not prepared to hear an explanation. I would not defend the open placing of names on ballot papers.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:33 pm

The Argentina Football Association seems to have trouble adding up votes too

38+38=75
Any postings on here represent my personal views

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:41 pm

What prompted you to say a thing like that at a time like this, Mick?