Change of Policy or Slip up?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Carl Hibbard

Re: Change of Policy or Slip up?

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:18 pm

It could be for the new forum software the ECF were planning I suppose.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:28 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:It could be for the new forum software the ECF were planning I suppose.
Presumably it doesn't take very long to install such software. The ECF were talking about it months ago, but perhaps that was the operative word, they were too busy talking about whether they complied with arbitrary guidelines from the SRA to ever get on and do anything.

One of the Board meetings was talking about their forum having too many threads. I suspect they meant sections, but again isn't that just a matter of someone being given authority to restructure?

Bill Porter

Post by Bill Porter » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:41 pm

John Upham wrote: The Wayback Machine client advertises itself to http servers with a http user agent of ia_archiver

Obviously the WBM cannot authenticate itself and generate queries to retrieve data from a web site whose content is primarily stored in a database such as Oracle or MySQL.

It is most successful for flat, non-dynamic sites.
If it's treated as a guest or robot by the site, it can access anything a guest or robot can access. How the site is generated is not relevant.
If the content of a dynamic page changes frequently, any given version is unlikely to be archived.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:55 pm

Bill Porter wrote: If it's treated as a guest or robot by the site, it can access anything a guest or robot can access. How the site is generated is not relevant.
Obviously. If the bulk of the content requires authentication then the robot will have a short visit.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:48 pm

Gosh. Reading all this clever stuff I can imagine how the ape at the start of "2001: A Space Odyssey" must have felt. :oops: