Spam Mail

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Michael Farthing

Spam Mail

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:50 pm

I have just received a spam Email which there is good evidence to suppose has made use of the ECF database of members. Am I right in thinking that others have received this Email and can anyone in the ECF explain how this came to happen? Perhaps someone with an account on the ECF forum might like to ask there.

Michael Farthing

Re: Spam Mail

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:40 pm

Whoops! I have indeed received a spam 24 page document -that I had in any case already (mostly) read - but on closer examination I see it has probably only been sent to Emails gleaned from the ECF site, rather than as I thought at first, the entire ECF miling list. Apologies for the scare mongering.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:52 pm

I'm not quite sure why it was necessary to attach the 24 page document but the email itself was a very magnanimous email from somebody who I didn't agree with on a lot of things but has dedicated himself to English chess for the past five years. I'll happily say here that I hope this individual can come back to work for the ECF in some capacity which is more than can be said for two other former board meeting attendees whose surnames immediately follow his.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:56 pm

I moved this one.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:41 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:I moved this one.
It's probably ECF matters.

This thread appears to refer.

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/Forum/vi ... =462#p3635

Only a selected few appear to have received it. Unless it's confidential, are they prepared to summarise the content? If it's already appeared as an officer's report, we already know what it says.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:06 pm

Excellent :roll:
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:14 pm

I was tempted to paste the full text here but decided against it as the author is more than capable of making it public should he wish. The reason for my temptation is the rumour mongering on here which is already getting out of hand.

The email is a thank you to volunteers for their work over the past few years and ends with a request to support each other and the board to help the Federation move forward. There is nothing remotely sinister about it.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:21 pm

Here is the message in full:
Dear Fellow English Chess Federation Volunteers,

By now I trust you are aware that the Council acted to establish new leadership on the Board. I am no longer the Chief Executive. Thank you for allowing me to serve alongside you. We achieved more than recent events concede.

The English chess community enriched our family life. Jennifer and Claire benefited immensely from school chess, our local club, some excellent coaches, loads of tournaments and our national chess league. I’m convinced they are thriving now partly because of these experiences. Sue and I are grateful. Although not active at the moment, our daughters have the chess bug for life. I’m confident we will cross paths with many of you in the near future. Please do not hesitate to let me know if I can do anything for you.

Meanwhile, I encourage you to continue your dedication to the Federation. My report to Council was meant as an honest and forthright appraisal, organised around principles that I respectfully challenge you to regard seriously. I’ll leave it to others to judge the wisdom of my approach as Chief Executive. The important thing now is to encourage and support one another as the Board gathers to lead the Federation in the best interest of English chess.

Best wishes,
Phil Ehr
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:23 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:The email is a thank you to volunteers for their work over the past few years and ends with a request to support each other and the board to help the Federation move forward. There is nothing remotely sinister about it.
That's good and contrasts with the attitude of a previous CEO who wasn't even thrown out of office.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:56 am

Dear Fellow English Chess Federation Volunteers,

By now I trust you are aware that the Council acted to establish new leadership on the Board. I am no longer the Chief Executive. Thank you for allowing me to serve alongside you. We achieved more than recent events concede.

The English chess community enriched our family life. Jennifer and Claire benefited immensely from school chess, our local club, some excellent coaches, loads of tournaments and our national chess league. I’m convinced they are thriving now partly because of these experiences. Sue and I are grateful. Although not active at the moment, our daughters have the chess bug for life. I’m confident we will cross paths with many of you in the near future. Please do not hesitate to let me know if I can do anything for you.

Meanwhile, I encourage you to continue your dedication to the Federation. My report to Council was meant as an honest and forthright appraisal, organised around principles that I respectfully challenge you to regard seriously. I’ll leave it to others to judge the wisdom of my approach as Chief Executive. The important thing now is to encourage and support one another as the Board gathers to lead the Federation in the best interest of English chess.

Best wishes,
Phil Ehr
A commendable reaction to what must have been a very difficult day. Hopefully others can accept the decisions of Council and offer their best wishes to the new board.

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:33 pm

That all seems fine..
Returning to the actual topic.. ie, spam mail.
Can I issue a general warning to all members of the chess community, and others.

Yesterday I received an email purporting to be from a fellow chess organiser whom I have known for some years..
It contained a list of names on the circulation, some of whom I recognised, others I did not..
I got suspicious and decided not to open a `link` therein..
On close examination of the list, I noticed that the actual addresses of the recipients looked unfamiliar..
I contacted one of the others named, using an email address that I know to be legitimate, and found that he had not actually received this email...
So, my message is simple... be careful when opening emails, and particularly check email addresses... and don't open links on sites contained in such emails if you have doubts about the sender..
In this particular case, I suspect it was someone piggybacking off other lists, and using it as a spamming exercise... a irritation at best.
BRING BACK THE BCF

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:31 pm

Some excellent shopping deals at the other place but will they ever get the setup right?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard