Whatever happened to the ECF logo?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Michael Flatt

Whatever happened to the ECF logo?

Post by Michael Flatt » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:52 pm

Am I the only person to have noticed the total absence of the ECF logo from the website?

Having only a plain text header the website is beginning to look rather anonymous.

Roger de Coverly

Re: Whatever happened to the ECF logo?

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:26 pm

Michael Flatt wrote:Am I the only person to have noticed the total absence of the ECF logo from the website?
Their forum still has the red ECF logo. Although like this forum, it is powered by phpBB, it's a slightly different implementation as the defaults for new posts and searching are different.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:26 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: Their forum still has the red ECF logo. Although like this forum, it is powered by phpBB, it's a slightly different implementation as the defaults for new posts and searching are different.
I get the impression that the ECF Forum is no longer maintained. Currently, very few post there and it is rarely worth visiting.

I'd have thought that the logo was a key element of the ECF brand, but if there is no longer any marketing or advertising expertise within the ECF I can understand why its importance is being overlooked. It is noticeable that each of the advertisers on the ECF website have a logo which make them readily identifiable without having to read any text.

The ECF website also seems to be making progressively more use of pastel (i.e neutral) colours.

In contrast the FIDE website makes good use of its distinctive logo and a wider palette of colours.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:39 am

He besought Andrea del Sarto, who was his good friend, that he should paint a portrait of him flattering himself that he would thereby gain two advantages... one that he would see the mixing of the colours, the other, that the painting would remain in his hands and, having seen how it was done, serve him as a pattern... But Andrea perceived Baccio's intent and was angry (for he would have willingly shown him had he asked) ... he placed every sort of colour on his palette... and mingled them together with the brush... with great dexerity... counterfeiting the vivid colours of Baccio's face. Because he had also to sit still for the portrait Baccio was unable to see or learn what he desired... Thus, at the same time as punishing the deceitfulness of his friend, Andrea displayed his greater ability and experience in art. (Baccio Bandinelli, 1488-1560, Vasari's Lives of the Artists).

Did someone get a copy for Christmas?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:43 am

Michael Flatt wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote: Their forum still has the red ECF logo. Although like this forum, it is powered by phpBB, it's a slightly different implementation as the defaults for new posts and searching are different.
I get the impression that the ECF Forum is no longer maintained. Currently, very few post there and it is rarely worth visiting.

I'd have thought that the logo was a key element of the ECF brand, but if there is no longer any marketing or advertising expertise within the ECF I can understand why its importance is being overlooked. It is noticeable that each of the advertisers on the ECF website have a logo which make them readily identifiable without having to read any text.

The ECF website also seems to be making progressively more use of pastel (i.e neutral) colours.

In contrast the FIDE website makes good use of its distinctive logo and a wider palette of colours.
It's the main ECF site rather than the forum isn't it?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:08 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote: It's the main ECF site rather than the forum isn't it?
That's right. I guess it's symptomatic of having no Chief Executive to oversee these things.