Whatever happened to the ECF Forum?

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Mike Gunn

Re: Whatever happened to the ECF Forum?

Post by Mike Gunn » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:30 am

On the other hand it seems reasonable to me if the CE asks board members to conform to an agreed board policy.

There is actually a problem with expecting ECF board members or officials to use this (excellent in many regards) forum as its main vehicle of communication with ECF members. It is very easy to become embroiled in lengthy (and repetitive) arguments with other posters. Of course the board should be answerable to members but this should be done in a place which the ECF can control. (As I said in the other place) there is a case for continuing with the two fora, as at present.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:19 am

All this squabbling about what Directors are allowed or not allowed to do is pointless nonsense. Regardless about what people have said about not being permitted to do this or that, it has always been the prerogative of each Director as to whether or not they post here.

Anyone elected to the Board should be capable of acting as the mature intelligent adult that they are and stop blaming others for their own inability or unwillingness to express their own views.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:43 am

Michael Flatt wrote: Anyone elected to the Board should be capable of acting as the mature intelligent adult that they are and stop blaming others for their own inability or unwillingness to express their own views.
Even when confronted by a CEO with a penchant for arbitrarily suspending directors who fail to bend to his will?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:51 am

I think part of the problem is that there is no culture of consultation or communication within the ECF. It is therefore unable to communicate with a clear sense of the purpose in communicating on each occasion. In providing information to members there should be a clear difference between information to keep people informed and information on which views are sought to progress policy initiatives. These will need a distinct handling, including whether they are pinned on the website so that they are not lost as the site rolls out more data/ moves to another day etc. And whilst you cannot prevent the wider world commenting on announcements, it is perfectly reasonable to have formal consultation in which responses are collected, considered and then a more rounded response made, than engage in argument on fora. It is about managing the process and that includes managing expectations.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:36 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Michael Flatt wrote: Anyone elected to the Board should be capable of acting as the mature intelligent adult that they are and stop blaming others for their own inability or unwillingness to express their own views.
Even when confronted by a CEO with a penchant for arbitrarily suspending directors who fail to bend to his will?
Yes, of course. If one can't stand up for oneself, what reason can there be for remaining on the Board?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:47 pm

Michael Flatt wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:
Yes, of course. If one can't stand up for oneself, what reason can there be for remaining on the Board?
To continue to try and do the job you were elected to do.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:28 pm

Mike Gunn wrote:On the other hand it seems reasonable to me if the CE asks board members to conform to an agreed board policy.

There is actually a problem with expecting ECF board members or officials to use this (excellent in many regards) forum as its main vehicle of communication with ECF members. It is very easy to become embroiled in lengthy (and repetitive) arguments with other posters. Of course the board should be answerable to members but this should be done in a place which the ECF can control. (As I said in the other place) there is a case for continuing with the two fora, as at present.
There is not much point in continuing with a forum scarcely anybody uses and one which in its death agonies was breaking all its own rules on a regular basis.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:56 pm

There are some new posts in the other place mainly trying to decide if it is dead or not.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Bill Porter

Post by Bill Porter » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:46 pm

I notice robot/spammer Williams has been a member of the other place since 15th December.
I expect he/she/it will disappear soon after this post.
Perhaps the question should be: What value is a forum only moderated by proxy?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:41 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:There are some new posts in the other place mainly trying to decide if it is dead or not.
Chris Fegan in the other place wrote:This Forum is NOT redundant as this thread clearly shows
Keep 'em coming, Chris. While you can.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com