Recognition of Phil Ehr.

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Martin Regan

Recognition of Phil Ehr.

Post by Martin Regan » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:54 pm

It has just struck me that apart from myself - for reasons I understand and am unconcerned about - Phil Ehr remains the only former volunteer chief executive not to be made a Honorary Life Vice President of the federation.

I am sure Mr Ehr has not even noticed but that is hardly the point. He committed a large amount of his time to the ECF in various guises and then took on the challenging role of CEO - and the flood of applications for that role now underscores just how difficult that role is. He may well play a part in the federation in the future.

I am not saying he did a good job, I am not saying he did a bad job. Only that it is a longstanding tradition of the ECF that volunteer CEOs (as long as they don't walk out) are thanked by the federation in this small way when they leave the post. Not to do so in one case, to me, seems like small-minded spite.

When I became CEO one of the very first action I took was to recommend the honour to two members of a board I had essentially ejected. It is a small measure but it shows that despite the endless squabbles we all have what we believe are the federation's interests at heart.

I hope the incoming CEO address the matter. It may even help to heal a few wounds on either side.

Roger de Coverly

Re: Recognition of Phil Ehr.

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:15 pm

Martin Regan wrote:I Only that it is a longstanding tradition of the ECF that volunteer CEOs (as long as they don't walk out) are thanked by the federation in this small way when they leave the post. Not to do so in one case, to me, seems like small-minded spite.
Can you really talk about a long standing tradition of an organisation that's only ten years old? Even if you include the BCF, that only had a CEO named as such from the year 2001, Susan Richards (later McFarland) being the first appointee. She's not a VP either.

http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/0102/bcf.htm

Martin Regan

Post by Martin Regan » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:30 pm

Rdc:
Can you really talk about a long standing tradition of an organisation that's only ten years old? Even if you include the BCF, that only had a CEO named as such from the year 2001, Susan Richards (later McFarland) being the first appointee. She's not a VP either.
Of course I was referring to the BCF as well. It is rather a trademark of yours to miss the wood and and examine the branch of the tree. I think Susan fell into my category from what I remember.

The broader point (THE WOOD) is that an organisation which could not survive without volunteers should, and has traditionally, honoured those who have done the most high-profile volunteering -be they president, chairman or CEO - despite their popularity or otherwise.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:38 pm

Andrew Farthing wasn't honoured until the 2014 AGM so the fact that Phil Ehr isn't yet an Honorary Vice President isn't a snub at this stage.

EDIT And obviously Phil Ehr entered the last AGM seeking re-election and only in the closing minutes of the meeting did everyone know he'd been unsuccessful. If there was a convention that every CEO automatically became an Honorary Vice President upon leaving office then it would be different.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:58 pm

Surely a decision to choose to be without a CEO rather than continue with the only available person and then to bestow honours on that person can only be seen as hypocritical and thereby minimise the value of similar honours given to others?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:36 pm

Phil ceased to be CEO at the AGM in October 2015. Honorary Life Vice Presidents are appointed by Council. The next Council meeting is not until April 2016, so the opportunity has not arisen. Moreover such appointments are usually made at an AGM.
His not being appointed an Honorary Life Vice President is, at present, a non-issue.
I did not receive that honour until a year after standing down as Chairman of the BCF. That was understandable. How could it be on the agenda in 1999, unless I had put it there myself?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:04 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:Phil ceased to be CEO at the AGM in October 2015. Honorary Life Vice Presidents are appointed by Council. The next Council meeting is not until April 2016, so the opportunity has not arisen. Moreover such appointments are usually made at an AGM.
I am a little surprised that this appears not to have been known to the original poster.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Martin Regan

Post by Martin Regan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:09 pm

JH:
I am a little surprised that this appears not to have been known to the original poster.
You shouldn't be. Generally it is sorted by the board within a few months and then presented to the council at the first opportunity. But it is a done deal. In this case it has not been discussed and there is no intention to discuss it.

Stuart, as usual, is being disingenious - there were reasons why it took so long to recommend him. A decision I am told, though I could be wrong, that was only made as the agenda was drawn up. There were many who disagreed.