Defusing the Demographic Time Bomb

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Andy Stoker

Re: Defusing the Demographic Time Bomb

Post by Andy Stoker » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:26 pm

Why assume that clubs in "church halls" are unfriendly with no refreshments, whilst clubs in pubs are convivial? Use of the kitchen or at least a kettle would surely help? Don't people do that?

Although I once played OTB, I haven't been a member of a club since 1978 and play about 1 x quickplay (or whatever it's called - 30 mins or 10 mins for all the moves) every 2 years or so ... not an ECF member of course. The fees for 1 day of chess now seem prohibitive ... I'd thought about entering my local Quickplay (Stockport - always very well organised) - but the money has been one reason why I won't

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:40 pm

Andy Stoker wrote:Why assume that clubs in "church halls" are unfriendly with no refreshments, whilst clubs in pubs are convivial? Use of the kitchen or at least a kettle would surely help? Don't people do that?
I was just trying to give a general picture rather than specific examples. The scene in the pub could be transposed to a church hall with two available rooms and where the tips and encouragement took place over a brew. But a lot of club venues have a very dry feel, even if there is a kettle in use.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:46 pm

Andy Stoker wrote: The fees for 1 day of chess now seem prohibitive ... I'd thought about entering my local Quickplay (Stockport - always very well organised) - but the money has been one reason why I won't
It's £ 25 entry for Bronze and non-members, £ 18 otherwise.

For his Golders Green series of rapid-plays, Adam Raoof would want £ 32 or £ 25

Nottingham, like Stockport, on the 31st Jan would like £ 22 or £ 15

But it was one of the side effects of the ECF's membership scheme that one day tournaments became relatively more expensive for non-members and league only players.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:20 pm

My club seems to have improved over the years but some of the aspects of the post by Andrew Zigmond challenge me as to how far we have to go. New players can be left waiting a long time, and it can take quite firm intervention to get people to take a rest/change opponents so that when there is an odd number present people don't wait too long for a game. And when you factor in those who are happy just to read a chess book or simply spectate, you can have an even number present, but very limited amounts of chess taking place. As for catering, we did briefly use the kitchen facilities which we could have shared with the table tennis players who use part of the same complex, but this lasted about as long as we had a club member who preferred tea/coffee over alcohol and therefore saw personal benefit in providing this hospitality and doing the washing up etc. Its relatively uncommon in my experience for players in the league to buy a beer for their opponent even at the venues that have such a facility.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:37 pm

All clubs are going to be slightly different in nature and there are some excellent clubs out there. The club I was secretary of until last year is hardly the worst by many standards. Another part of the problem is that there isn't always much network and/ or structure (clubs are unrepresented as a group within the ECF). It can be pot luck for new players; I remember a letter in Chess (going back to the late 90s) where a recently retired gentleman wanting to take up chess was rudely told that he wouldn't really be welcome. From subsequent correspondence (and local knowledge on my part as I have a good idea who he spoke to) it turned out that there were other clubs locally who would have welcomed him.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Nigel_Davies

Post by Nigel_Davies » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:19 pm

There was a letter published in Chess magazine some decades ago which was a brilliant example of how to welcome new members. From what I can remember it involved inviting newcomers to have a game, not making unilateral captures, remembering the names of their kids (& dog) etc.

The late Dave Dixon started a club in Caegwrle in North Wales along these lines, starting out by placing an advert in the local paper which said something like 'fancy a game of chess?' He attracted a number of players who weren't very strong but that really didn't matter. I can't help think that if enough clubs do this kind of thing at a grass roots level, chess in the UK will be thriving at both club and tournament level. It just needs more people who are willing to make chess a primary hobby, and they don't need to be great players.

Mark Jordan

Post by Mark Jordan » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:10 am

Nigel_Davies wrote:There was a letter published in Chess magazine some decades ago which was a brilliant example of how to welcome new members. From what I can remember it involved inviting newcomers to have a game, not making unilateral captures, remembering the names of their kids (& dog) etc.

The late Dave Dixon started a club in Caegwrle in North Wales along these lines, starting out by placing an advert in the local paper which said something like 'fancy a game of chess?' He attracted a number of players who weren't very strong but that really didn't matter. I can't help think that if enough clubs do this kind of thing at a grass roots level, chess in the UK will be thriving at both club and tournament level. It just needs more people who are willing to make chess a primary hobby, and they don't need to be great players.
I agree entirely and, having a few ideas of my own, I'm in the process of writing an article on exactly this issue. In my capacity as Publicity Manager of ECF I am also working on a number of projects which I hope will contribute to improving the situation.