Circular to English International Arbiters and FIDE Arbiters

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:49 pm

Arbiter Appointments for the 2016 Olympiad

The 2016 Olympiad is to be held in Baku, Azerbaijan, from 17th to 30th September 2016.

The European Chess Union have made the following announcement:

"ECU opens a call of interest for the arbiters (at least 10) who will be appointed by the ECU President for the Chess Olympiad 2016 in Baku, Azerbaijan. Proposals can reach the ECU Secretariat till Monday 22th February 2016. Proposals can be sent through National Chess Federations, ECU Board members and ECU Arbiters Council."

In 2012 the ECU only accepted nominations from IAs, but in 2014 both IAs and FAs were considered. I am seeking clarification of the position for 2016, but for the present I am sending this circular to all FIDE licensed IAs and FAs affiliated to England.

On previous occasions Federations have only been permitted to make a single nomination. I am also seeking clarification whether this applies for 2016. However, there are 55 European Federations and potentially only 10 places available. Accordingly it seems to me unlikely that the ECU will put forward to FIDE more than one nomination from a Federation.

When nominating, the ECF is likely to give priority to arbiters who have not previously had the opportunity to officiate at an Olympiad.
If you are interested, please would you complete the application form which I have attached separately and return it to me by email no later than Saturday 20th February.

Members of the Association of Chess Professionals may like to note that I have been advised that they are also currently open to applications from their members for nomination as an arbiter both at the Olympiad and at some other major events.

David Sedgwick
ECF Manager of Arbiters (International)
11th February 2016
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.