ECF enewsletter

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Adam Raoof

Re: ECF enewsletter

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:22 pm

Mark Jordan wrote:
Adam Raoof wrote:Not appeared in this members inbox yet...
I don't know why it isn't, Adam. I assume we have your current email address. Perhaps it's being blocked by your security. There are quite a lot of links which tends to raise the suspicion of firewalls or it may just not like ECF emails for some reason. I'll try emailing it to you myself from my email. If that doesn't work there should be a link on the website tomorrow and you can access it that way.

We're hoping we'll have less of these problems than we did for the first one but we'll have to cross our fingers and see!
What software are you using to send this newsletter out?
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Mark Jordan

Post by Mark Jordan » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:53 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
Mark Jordan wrote:
I don't know why it isn't, Adam. I assume we have your current email address. Perhaps it's being blocked by your security. There are quite a lot of links which tends to raise the suspicion of firewalls or it may just not like ECF emails for some reason. I'll try emailing it to you myself from my email. If that doesn't work there should be a link on the website tomorrow and you can access it that way.

We're hoping we'll have less of these problems than we did for the first one but we'll have to cross our fingers and see!
What software are you using to send this newsletter out?
I don't send them out myself, they go out on the email which the ECF office uses to send out round-robin communications. I know there are alternatives but apparently there are reasons why that is used as opposed to anything else. I do not make the decision on that though if I report continued problems it may inspire a change. The fact that some of the emails did not get through last time and at least 1 didn't arrive this time may oblige ECF to review it's use. I think this is the first time that subscribers were definitely expecting something so it's maybe served as an efficiency check on the system.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:49 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:Is it not a PDF then?
It looked like one huge html(I presume) formatted e-mail to me. Which is somewhat asking for mail servers to refuse it and for it to display rather oddly if people are blocking HTML e-mails/external images.

I'm sure I'm not alone in doing the latter on several of my machines, although not what I caught it on.

Quite good looking content though :)

Martin Regan

Post by Martin Regan » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:03 pm

I thought the latest one, in my mailbox today, was excellent and a very enjoyable read. Well done to MJ.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:33 pm

Nor mine. Again.

Mark Jordan

Post by Mark Jordan » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:42 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:

Nor mine. Again.
Send me your email address to [email protected] and I'll try with my own email. Alternatively there should be a link up on the website tomorrow which'll enable you to get to it in any case.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:53 pm

Mark Jordan wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote:

Nor mine. Again.
Send me your email address to [email protected] and I'll try with my own email. Alternatively there should be a link up on the website tomorrow which'll enable you to get to it in any case.

Thanks. As it happens I’d already emailed the office to look into this before I saw your reply. If the members are being emailed something I’d like to get the emails too.

Mark Jordan

Post by Mark Jordan » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:12 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Mark Jordan wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote:

Nor mine. Again.

Thanks. As it happens I’d already emailed the office to look into this before I saw your reply. If the members are being emailed something I’d like to get the emails too.
I'd like you to get 'em too!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:18 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote: Is it not a PDF then?
It's got logos and pictures, but Windows Live Mail displays it directly without even moaning about whether it's a trusted source. There again I may have flagged ECF material as "not spam".

Julie Denning

Post by Julie Denning » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:29 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: There again I may have flagged ECF material as "not spam".
There's hope for us yet!

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:33 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote:

Got a reply from the office. I’m definitely on the mailing list and I’m definitely not getting the emails. I expect that the email is being blocked by my ISP so I probably won’t be getting the emails any time soon.

I’m not massively bothered by this per se, although I’m not sure it’s entirely tremendous that the ECF are sending material out in a format that doesn’t get through to members.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:51 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote: I expect that the email is being blocked by my ISP so I probably won’t be getting the emails any time soon.
If you are using Windows Livemail, it may be worth checking your "Options" tab. There's a option to block all email from senders outside of a "Safe Senders" list.

[email protected] is the address used.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:56 am

Mark - no message from [email protected] was delivered to [email protected] or flagged as spam. Is it possible that you can check that this is the email you have for me? I have given you an additional address to send the newsletter to, just in case!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:51 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote: I expect that the email is being blocked by my ISP so I probably won’t be getting the emails any time soon.
If you are using Windows Livemail ....
I’m not, but thanks.

Jonathan

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:52 am

How many of the people posting here got the bulletin dated 25 January 2016?

I got that - it was titled "ECF Publicity Manager Bulletin".
But I have not got the most recent one.

Mark, how many bulletins have you sent out?
Is it possible the sending process silently failed at some point?

(For the record, since August 2015 [not sure about before that], I have received six emails from the ECF's emarketing email address, with the following titles:

Fred Olson Member Discounts / FIDE Security
FREE issue of New in Chess magazine for ECF members
Modest Proposals from the ECF
Jovanka Houska wins Silver!
Compliments of the Season from the ECF
ECF Publicity Manager Bulletin

Some clearly from marketing, some from publicity.
Was that all of them? Were there meant to be more?)