ECF elections 2016

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Chris Fegan

Re: ECF elections 2016

Post by Chris Fegan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:04 pm

[quote="John Reyes"]I
also Chris Fagan Question to Mike Truran in which he managed to be un professional just show that some of the members are out of touch with the Direct Members!!

The fact that Mike Truran came all the way across the room at the end of the meeting specifically to shake my hand and to thank me for my contributions during the meeting shows just how much out of touch you are with reality allied to your obvious inability to spell people names correctly.

Jonathan Bryant

Re: ECF elections 2016 Boards report

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:40 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:If you didn't follow detailed changes to ECF managers, you would not have been aware that he was no longer behind the ecfchess handle.
Maybe not - but if you followed ECF on twitter you’d have been immediately aware that there’d been a change in 'ownership' as overnight tweets became somewhat irregular and, frankly, almost entirely content free.

Anyhoo, my point was more questioning the claim of "by mutual consent" regarding Phil moving on which is something different to the point that you raise. Frankly, I’m having trouble believing it. When you’re doing something successfully you don’t suddenly stop doing it. Usually, at least.

I saw nothing at the time, and nothing subsequently, to indicate to me that the decision was mutual. Quite the reverse.

If the ECF cares not to give me a vote in how my membership money is spent, the very least the organisation can do is adopt a policy of straight talking in its communications. The claim made above is hard to square with subsequent developments and seems misleading at best.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:27 pm

I guess it depends on the definition of "mutual consent", but Phil was very relaxed about handing over to Mark, and very happy to step back in again when we realised that not having him involved wasn't working as well as when he was involved (as Mark said in his earlier post).

We made a mistake, and have hopefully put it right.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:31 pm

Chris Fegan wrote:
John Reyes wrote:I
also Chris Fagan Question to Mike Truran in which he managed to be un professional just show that some of the members are out of touch with the Direct Members!!

The fact that Mike Truran came all the way across the room at the end of the meeting specifically to shake my hand and to thank me for my contributions during the meeting shows just how much out of touch you are with reality allied to your obvious inability to spell people names correctly.
FWIW, John is dyslexic, which affects his written communication - for all I know, there may be a good reason why you failed to use the Quote facility correctly
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:35 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Chris Fegan wrote:

FWIW, John is dyslexic, which affects his written communication - for all I know, there may be a good reason why you failed to use the Quote facility correctly
That does not excuse his abuse nor the general abuse that people throw around here like confetti

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:46 pm

I might have missed the information in one of the earlier posts, what has been the decision about the membership fees increase proposal?
Last edited by Paolo Casaschi on Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:57 pm

Illustrative membership fee increases in two out of the five plan years were included in the five year financial projections which Council endorsed as an appropriate future direction of travel to be put to next April's Finance Council meeting. Membership fee proposals are made not at AGMs but at Finance Council meetings.

David Eustace's paper on the ECF website (C25.13) gives more information.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:16 pm

Chris Fegan wrote: That does not excuse his abuse nor the general abuse that people throw around here like confetti
Which part of John's comment did you consider constitited "abuse"?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:23 pm

Chris Fegan wrote:the general abuse that people throw around here like confetti
I am a regular reader of this forum and I do not consider any abuse on here is significantly different in percentage terms to the abuse that happened on the ill starred ECF Forum. At least here there is moderation. I still await an apology for the detrimental misquoting of a post I made by a then Director of the ECF ... and there was much worse (eg the apparent threat of doing violence!!).

The ECF forum was a disaster - stop flogging a dead horse. Let it be turned into glue in peace.

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:35 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:
Chris Fegan wrote:the general abuse that people throw around here like confetti
I am a regular reader of this forum and I do not consider any abuse on here is significantly different in percentage terms to the abuse that happened on the ill starred ECF Forum. At least here there is moderation. I still await an apology for the detrimental misquoting of a post I made by a then Director of the ECF ... and there was much worse (eg the apparent threat of doing violence!!).

The ECF forum was a disaster - stop flogging a dead horse. Let it be turned into glue in peace.
Alex
I would never flog a horse alive or dead and turning a dead animal into glue is horrific
Chris

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:09 pm

Mike Truran wrote: We made a mistake, and have hopefully put it right.
Now this is the kind of straight talking that I like to see. And, for the public record, I think you have.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:17 pm

Chris Fegan wrote:

Well Chris, as you may know I'm a bit dyslexia in my grammar, but hey if you happy to take the mick over my inability of spelling, that thanks
just two questions the same man who shock your hand told me why was the point to bring up the SCCU motion ahead of the Finance one, and that how many meeting have I been to

also out of touch? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm just a normal chess player who loves the game and is just the common man, not involve with member of the board and any Nexus Faction etc and thanks Mick for that!! lucky you know me better then some other people
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Chris Fegan

Post by Chris Fegan » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:37 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Chris Fegan wrote:

Well Chris, as you may know I'm a bit dyslexia in my grammar, but hey if you happy to take the mick over my inability of spelling, that thanks
just two questions the same man who shock your hand told me why was the point to bring up the SCCU motion ahead of the Finance one, and that how many meeting have I been to

also out of touch? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm just a normal chess player who loves the game and is just the common man, not involve with member of the board and any Nexus Faction etc and thanks Mick for that!! lucky you know me better then some other people
John
I was totally unaware of your dyslexia (why would I know?)
when I wrote my original response.
However, if I have caused any offence in that regard, even unintentionally then I apologise.

Matt Fletcher

Post by Matt Fletcher » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:09 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Mike Truran wrote: We made a mistake, and have hopefully put it right.
Now this is the kind of straight talking that I like to see. And, for the public record, I think you have.
Seconded, on both counts. Thanks.

John Higgs

Post by John Higgs » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:18 pm

With the healthy focus on ECF twitter output don't forget there are two junior twitter handles:

@ECFJuniors2016
@ECFschools

Both interesting, regular, informative and good humoured.
"I'm not the one who got it wrong. I'm the only one who got it right". Carrie Mathison.