ECF elections 2016

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
LawrenceCooper

Re: ECF elections 2016

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:26 am

Julie Denning wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:
Julie Denning wrote: All election addresses thus submitted will be published simultaneously on the ECF website. (I'm not sure when this will be this year.)
Is there any reason why it could not have been yesterday?
Nick,

Not that I'm aware of. I suspect John P might be waiting till the agenda is finalised (which I think it about is) then publishing them along with any other papers that are ready.
It might also be workload, I suspect that the office is busy with membership, paying Olympiad fees and many other things.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:31 am

LawrenceCooper wrote: It might also be workload
I realise they are busy, but I imagine they are well enough organised to copy/paste four documents in a matter of minutes, and they've had them for two weeks.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:51 am

NickFaulks wrote:but I imagine they are well enough organised to copy/paste four documents in a matter of minutes

It's more than 4, as all directors are expected to write something about plans and visions given they are up against that silent but deadly opponent "none of the above". I also suspect the intention is to release a considerable pile of AGM papers at the same time, of which non-Exec statements would be a relatively small part.

Peter Hornsby

Post by Peter Hornsby » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:04 am

Hi Michael,

One should note that I would have had the opportunity to stand with or without Phil Ehr's nomination because the other support that I received. Quite recently a good friend of mine who is taking the position of Durham University Chess Soc. President this year met Phil at a tournament and got into conversation about the 'Northern Universities Chess Championships' (see http://2020chess.com/history.html for more details) which I had been involved with. Upon hearing about this through my friend I then arranged to meet Phil to see what advice he could offer in relation to that as I had done with other people in the Chess world prior to him, which I found useful and was grateful for.

In the process of attracting nominations across the spectrum Phil kindly agreed to support me along with the others, which I of course was happy to welcome! I decided to run for NED on my own initiative with my own agenda, and as previously stated as Julie agrees it is more appropriate for my vision to be established via the election addresses rather than on this forum.That said, this vision is certainly an independent one reflecting my own values, and I look forward to sharing it with you all at the AGM!

Peter
Founder and Director of 2020 Chess
www.2020chess.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:07 am

JustinHorton wrote:Just out of interest, is the donation, around which Phil describes a sizeable controversy, referred to anywhere in any minutes I can look at?
I'm struggling to place it in context, as donations should show up in the ECF Accounts. Support for titled players at the British Championships perhaps? The funds used by a former President at the Sheffield British of 2011 were a mixture of ECF money through explicit sponsorship, personal donations and fund raising. I don't believe Phil is going back that far.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:13 am

Peter Hornsby wrote:Hi Michael,

One should note that I would have had the opportunity to stand with or without Phil Ehr's nomination because the other support that I received. Quite recently a good friend of mine who is taking the position of Durham University Chess Soc. President this year met Phil at a tournament and got into conversation about the 'Northern Universities Chess Championships' (see http://2020chess.com/history.html for more details) which I had been involved with. Upon hearing about this through my friend I then arranged to meet Phil to see what advice he could offer in relation to that as I had done with other people in the Chess world prior to him, which I found useful and was grateful for.

In the process of attracting nominations across the spectrum Phil kindly agreed to support me along with the others, which I of course was happy to welcome! I decided to run for NED on my own initiative with my own agenda, and as previously stated as Julie agrees it is more appropriate for my vision to be established via the election addresses rather than on this forum.That said, this vision is certainly an independent one reflecting my own values, and I look forward to sharing it with you all at the AGM!

Peter
Peter

That's noted, but if organisations are going to discuss in advance, then what you say at the AGM is likely to be irrelevant e.g. MCF Council meets on Monday (26 September) and I have asked for it to be put on the agenda for us to discuss

I hope, therefore, that the ECF publish the election addresses this week, after which we can ask you any questions that arise
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:56 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
JustinHorton wrote:Just out of interest, is the donation, around which Phil describes a sizeable controversy, referred to anywhere in any minutes I can look at?
I'm struggling to place it in context, as donations should show up in the ECF Accounts. Support for titled players at the British Championships perhaps? The funds used by a former President at the Sheffield British of 2011 were a mixture of ECF money through explicit sponsorship, personal donations and fund raising. I don't believe Phil is going back that far.
I doubt that information was supposed to be shared with the great unwashed?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:01 am

Well who knows, Carl, but I'm not sure irregular sums of money should be entering and exiting ECF accounts without any reference being made to them in the minutes or accounts, even if they weren't then the subject of apparently quite bitter argument.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:38 am

JustinHorton wrote: I'm not sure irregular sums of money should be entering and exiting ECF accounts without any reference being made to them in the minutes or accounts, even if they weren't then the subject of apparently quite bitter argument.
I can think of three possible areas. The first being support for events by augmenting either the prize fund or appearance fees or expense support for titled players. These are usually briefly noted in minutes. The second is support for international teams. This is such a large budget item that again it usually gets noted. The third would be support in some manner for Junior chess.

Phil's comments are somewhat cryptic as to the nature of the potential problem with accepting this donation or sponsorship.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:52 pm

Relative calm descends on the forum (for a few hours at least).

No doubt all hell will break loose once papers start getting published tomorrow (God willing) ...... :wink:

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:48 pm

Mike Truran wrote:Relative calm descends on the forum (for a few hours at least).

No doubt all hell will break loose once papers start getting published tomorrow (God willing) ...... :wink:
So, most of the AGM papers have been published and are available here. Kudos to the Board, John Philpott, the ECF Office and, I'm sure, many others for getting them out in good time.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:52 pm

Thanks Angus! More to follow before COP as I understand it.

Off to bed now - early start tomorrow for various (non-chess related) business meetings.

Mike

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:09 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: Phil's comments are somewhat cryptic as to the nature of the potential problem with accepting this donation or sponsorship.
There is (or perhaps was) an unredacted name in the latest set of Board minutes.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:32 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote: Phil's comments are somewhat cryptic as to the nature of the potential problem with accepting this donation or sponsorship.
There is (or perhaps was) an unredacted name in the latest set of Board minutes.
Can you say more?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:58 pm

NickFaulks wrote: Can you say more?
The consolidated report by the Directors to the AGM refers to support, presumably financial, for a well known figure in the English chess scene. The latest minutes confirm unpublished speculation as to the recipient. It's also possible that what might be described as the report by the ex-CEO refers to the same issue, but in less than complimentary terms.

I don't agree with the ECF accepting donations designed to be anonymous from Kasparov to take CAS action against FIDE, but I don't see anything that the ECF can be censored with in this case.