ECF elections 2016

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Mick Norris

ECF elections 2016

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:33 am

Now we have finished with the Tory leadership contest, and not quite yet moved on to the Labour one, I was wondering whether the nexus or the anti-nexus had plans in the 3 months run up to the ECF AGM

My impression is that most Council members are fairly happy with the ECF Board as is, but of course this time the elections are a bit more important, given that not everyone is being elected for just 1 year
Election Rota
“With the adoption of elections for 3 year periods for Directors and Chairmen and Members of Standing Committees, but with elections staggered in order to maintain a level of continuity on the Board and Standing Committees, the election rota set out below will be established commencing at the 2016 AGM.

Post Initial Term from 2016 AGM

President 2 years
Non-Executive Chairman 3 years
Chief Executive 2 years
Director of Finance 1 year
Non-Executive Director 1 1 year
Non-Executive Director 2 3 years
Director of Home Chess 1 year
Director of International Chess 3 years
Director of Junior Chess & Education 2 years
Director of Membership 1 year
Chairman of Governance Committee 2 years
Chairman of Finance Committee 3 years

“Members of Standing Committees shall be elected or re-elected on rotation, as determined by the Standing Committee concerned.
“Subsequent terms shall be 3 years for all posts.
“It is in the interest of Board renewal that no individual should serve continuously in the same post for more than 2 terms commencing from the 2016 elections. There is therefore a strong presumption that service in the same post will be limited to not more than 2 terms thereafter, subject to availability
I'm not sure whther the NED with the highest vote count gets to pick between a 1 and 3 year term :lol:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Re: ECF elections 2016

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:00 am

All the present members of the Board are expected to be standing in the elections: this will be for re-election to their present posts save that Julian Clissold, currently a Non-Executive Director, intends to stand for the position of Non-Executive Chairman. The FIDE Delegate and the Chairmen of the Finance and Governance Committees are also expected to be standing for re-election.
That sounds like good news, but does beg the question about who will stand for the NED position becoming vacant - do we have any clue?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:35 pm

I expect I'll stand again, and not turn up to the meeting again. Why break with tradition?

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:44 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:I expect I'll stand again, and not turn up to the meeting again. Why break with tradition?
Depending on who stands you may have to make more of an effort. We need serious players who treat the volunteer base with respect to stand.

The most interesting vacancy may well be the Chairman of Council, a role with no precedent that might command considerable influence.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:44 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:I expect I'll stand again, and not turn up to the meeting again. Why break with tradition?
I dare say that's likely to result in the electorate sticking with tradition as well.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:24 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:The most interesting vacancy may well be the Chairman of Council, a role with no precedent that might command considerable influence.
Not sure about the Chairman of Council having "considerable influence" but the creation of the post was approved at the last Council meeting with the role described thus:
Impending update to Regulation No. 2 wrote:“The Board and Council work cooperatively, but independently, in furtherance of the aims and objectives of the ECF and English chess. The Chairman of the Council will liaise with the Board primarily via the Secretary, although (s)he may be invited to attend Board meetings for specific items of discussion. The Chairman of the Council will agree the agenda of Council Meetings with the Secretary and approve draft minutes for publication on the ECF website. He or she must familiarise him / her self with all matters to be put before Council to ensure the efficient conduct of meetings and be conversant with the ECF’s Articles of Association, Bye Laws and Regulations. The ability to chair large meetings effectively is required. The Chairman of the Council ensures that the decisions and views of the membership are accurately and fully conveyed to the Board, and retaining the confidence of the membership in this regard is an essential aspect of the role.”

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:21 pm

Angus French wrote:
Impending update to Regulation No. 2 wrote:The Chairman of the Council ensures that the decisions and views of the membership are accurately and fully conveyed to the Board, and retaining the confidence of the membership in this regard is an essential aspect of the role.”
When the Regulation refers to "the membership", what do we suppose it means by this term? Does it mean the various organisations represented at the Council meetings, or does it mean those chess players of England who have become members without being Members?

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:25 pm

I'm assuming `membership` in the context of the quoted regulation is membership of council rather than direct membership.

The `considerable influence` depends on who successfully runs for the position and how they use the role. They may just see themselves as the `speaker` of council primarily responsible for keeping order at meetings but the role could be used as platform to give council a more obvious voice, on occasion at board level.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:58 pm

Just to say I understand a well-qualified candidate will be standing for Chairman of Council.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:20 am

Wonder who it will be???

I'm put my name forward for the silver membership rep as
Well as michael farthing!
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:05 pm

John Reyes wrote:
I'm put my name forward for the silver membership rep as
Well as michael farthing!
This seems an appropriate time to thank you and Michael for taking on the direct membership role for silver members and ensuring that our voices and views have been heard.

Carl Portman

Post by Carl Portman » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:47 pm

Well, I wish to continue to serve as a volunteer doing my chess in prisons work. I do not sit on the board, nor indeed do I know everyone but I just get on with the job of fostering chess in prisons. Lots has been done and I am always happy to do my bit until the day I simply run out of energy!!

IanCalvert

Re: ECF elections 2016, Voting Power

Post by IanCalvert » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:36 am

After a very unhappy, disqualification threat related incident , at the e2e4 congress in Crawley last weekend, I have begun to question the voting power of tournaments in ECF elections.

Can someone explain why , given we have moved to Platinum-Bronze membership from the old game fee system that tournaments continue to have the voting power, loosely number of votes they do?

For the avoidance of doubt, my view is that tournaments and possibly other components in the voting system should have less relative power compared to members, Platinum -Bronze , representatives. Generalisations may well be appropriate.

Roger de Coverly

Re: ECF elections 2016, Voting Power

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:26 am

IanCalvert wrote: Can someone explain why , given we have moved to Platinum-Bronze membership from the old game fee system that tournaments continue to have the voting power, loosely number of votes they do?.

It was because rather than seek a 75% majority for a constitutional change, the ECF found a way of hacking the Game Fee based constitution so that membership could be forced through on a 50% vote. Congresses should have stripped of their votes once some of their representatives started agitating for exemption from Game Fee. The e2e4 organiser was one of the loudest in this respect.