Draft ECF Strategy Document

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Michael Flatt

Draft ECF Strategy Document

Post by Michael Flatt » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:31 pm

Today, the ECF website has published an all new draft ECF Strategy Document.

Is it simply a statement written by the Board for their own use or does it have a wider purpose?

It doesn't identify an author nor the membership of the Strategy Think Tank.

It will be interesting to learn what formal consultation will be undertaken with Council and individual ECF members.

[1] draft ECF Strategy Document: http://www.englishchess.org.uk/english- ... -strategy/

Roger Lancaster

Re: Draft ECF Strategy Document

Post by Roger Lancaster » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:21 pm

Thanks for drawing attention to this, Michael, as it has already slipped down the pecking order on the ECF website. On a quick read-through it's something of a 'motherhood and apple pie' document and the tricky bits will be, first, how to undertaken consultation with a membership which can be factious (naturally I don't have you in mind :) ) and, second, how to implement any agreed strategy.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:38 pm

For the last two years Council has demanded that the Board produce an integrated (five year) Strategic Plan that presents a clear vision and an annual Business/Operational Plan that is consistent with achieving the aims set out in the Strategic Plan. I would expect Council to comment and approve the Strategic Plan, but the annual Business Plan which should set out the deliverables in that year and how they'll be achieved is a operational matter for the Board, not Council, and in that respect would only be noted.

However, these documents are thin on content. There is little that is measurable and it’s difficult to spot any relationship between the Strategic Plan and the Business Plan, especially how the Board intend to reconcile income against activity, although that is work in progress. I’d say a lot more work needs to be done.

Kipling’s poem is pertinent:

I keep six honest serving-men
  They taught me all I knew;
Their names are What and Why and When
  And How and Where and Who.

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:15 pm

I think it's a good paper actually. Fair comment to say that it's motherhood and apple pie to a degree, but there are also some sensible things in there that maybe differentiate from previous regimes, e.g.;

- developing women's chess
- transition from junior to adult
- encourage 3rd parties to develop chess activity ( as opposed to trying to do it all through the ECF - a welcome note of realism I feel).

After the failure of more ambitious regimes over the past few years, focus some more modest but achievable aspirations seems a good idea.

If anything I wonder if a focus on just a couple of key priorities at once might be better.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:26 pm

However, these documents are thin on content
It's a business plan, indicating the intended direction of travel. The underlying detail will be in the various directors' operational plans.
how to undertake consultation with a membership which can be fractious
The document should shortly be sent to Council members together with as many leagues and congresses as we have details for, asking for their comments and input.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:37 pm

Mike Truran wrote:
how to undertake consultation with a membership which can be fractious
Roger actually wrote "factious" and I think he meant that.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:52 pm

Having noted and corrected the first typo, I rather assumed it was a second one. My bad. :oops:

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:59 pm

I confess that I looked it up to be sure, but once I found

"divided, split, sectarian, schismatic, dissenting, contentious, discordant, conflicting, argumentative, disagreeing, disputatious, quarrelling, quarrelsome, clashing, warring, at variance, at loggerheads, at odds, disharmonious, tumultuous, turbulent, dissident, rebellious, insurrectionary, seditious, mutinous"

it seemed to fit the bill.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:06 pm

As opposed to "easily upset or annoyed, and often complaining".

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:27 am

NickFaulks wrote:I confess that I looked it up to be sure, but once I found

"divided, split, sectarian, schismatic, dissenting, contentious, discordant, conflicting, argumentative, disagreeing, disputatious, quarrelling, quarrelsome, clashing, warring, at variance, at loggerheads, at odds, disharmonious, tumultuous, turbulent, dissident, rebellious, insurrectionary, seditious, mutinous"

it seemed to fit the bill.
Surely this was Jeremy Corbyn's Labour Party Leadership launch speech?

Possibly Angela Eagle can now stand against Mike for CEO? It might encourage 180,000 new ECF members at £25 per head.
Last edited by Neil Graham on Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:28 am

As opposed to "silly, foolish, and maybe a little bit smug" which is what I thought it was first time, admittedly with a small font on my laptop.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:19 am

I didn't see any discussion in the Strategy Document on the role of the recently created charity, The Chess Trust[1] nor its relationship with the ECF. What influence, if any, can the ECF Board exercise over the way the Trustees assign priorities and funding?

Is it envisaged that the Charity will take over the role of the Friends of Chess?

How are the Trustees appointed to the Chess Trust and how often do they come up for reappointment?

Where can one find its governing document?

[1] Chess Trust: http://www.englishchess.org.uk/the-chess-trust-2/
[2] Charity Commission - Chess Trust: http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/Sh ... ryNumber=0

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:03 am

Sorry, anyone spotting my one typo was entitled to wonder about a second but "factious" was intended. Mea culpa!

As to Michael's first question this morning, unless charity law has relaxed recently, the answer is that no-one (other than, of course, the appropriate regulators) should be able to dictate what charity trustees can or cannot do. And, after all, the trustees are ultimately responsible for the charity's actions - who would want to be a trustee if they were to be held responsible for actions over which they had limited control? Having said that, I should stress I'm not a lawyer.

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:46 am

Roger Lancaster wrote:Sorry, anyone spotting my one typo was entitled to wonder about a second but "factious" was intended. Mea culpa!
Maybe an alternative description of parts of the ECF membership would be facetious

John Hickman

Post by John Hickman » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:54 am

Could someone point me to the Draft ECF Tactics Document?