Website - No updated Pages

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Michael Farthing

Website - No updated Pages

Post by Michael Farthing » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:49 am

The ECF website for long had a section in the left hand column showing recently updated pages.

This was a very useful feature for following minor changes not being seen worthy of mention in the full newsfeed.

So, for example, in the run up to the AGM, observing whether the Council Papers page had recently altered was the easiest way for me to know if there had been any late-breaking papers published without having to check every day. But of course it could also make it easier for other more subtle things to come to light. For example, a disagreement at ECF official level leading to a dramatic resignation or firing might not be publically announced and the only evidence of the fracas would be a change in the Board and Officers page. Similarly, a maybe controversial appointment might only be evident by consulting this page. (And both of these things have happened in the last year).

About a week ago, however, the list of updated pages disappeared.
Is this an accident, or (putting on my hat as the Sage of Bolton-le-Sands) is this deliberate?

Mark Jordan

Re: Website - No updated Pages

Post by Mark Jordan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:56 am

I'm unaware as to why this has happened. I'll look into it and let you know.

Andrew Walker

Post by Andrew Walker » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:59 am

Actually this is deliberate, but not necessarily permanent. The website is moving to its new theme soon, and I have been working in the background when time allows disabling and repurposing plugins and widgets that we may not need. You will have to bear with me in this instance, but rather than a forum post, a direct email will always garner a swifter response, as I do not come here often ...

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:12 pm

Thanks Andrew. I posted publically because in this instance I think it is a matter that should be publically known. I hope the new site will have an alternative (perhaps more direct) means of indicating where the website has changed - it is a valuable feature (part of communication with the membership...).
In light of your comment, copied to you by Email.