ECF Arbiter Regulations

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
IM Jack Rudd

Re: ECF Arbiter Regulations

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:29 pm

Michael Flatt wrote:
IM Jack Rudd wrote:It's quite clear that that regulation is specifically written so as to make it really easy to satisfy it.
What is the justification for such a regulation and why does the ECF think it necessary for local leagues to follow the model of the Birmingham League?
It doesn't; it uses the Birmingham League as an example of a model that would satisfy it. It uses the Birmingham League as an example because the regulation was written by Alex Holowczak, who plays in the Birmingham League and knows its rules.

Lara Barnes

Post by Lara Barnes » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:05 pm

Michael,
I hope the ECF official that you said 'was not interested' wasn't me - I have been chasing this matter up since you emailed me about it in 2013, 2015 and last week! (obviously without a lot of success as we still don't have the reports!) I have emailed all the qualified arbiters that you have worked with (to my knowledge: Neville B, David S, Stewart R, Adrian E, Tim T, Tony C) asking for a report or recommendation - which I asked you to provide on several occasions over the years! I currently have one such report and the promise of another one at the CAA AGM on the 2nd January. I am hoping that we get you your appointment asap and would appreciate your cooperation in sourcing reports from any of the above arbiters.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:17 pm

Michael Flatt wrote: Does this edict also extend to other chess events, such as congresses, which may not include ECF level 2 Arbiters among its organisers?
And what about internal club competitions?

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:30 pm

"And what about internal club competitions?"

A very good point - luckily my club has three arbiters!

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:14 pm

The ECF would be playing with fire if it ever attempted to deny grading to a league that otherwise insisted on membership and coughed up for Game Fee or its penalty charge successor.
What is the justification for such a regulation
There is no such regulation, nor is it the case that grading would be denied to a league, as the August Board minutes make clear:

The proposed regulations had been subject to wide consultation, and are proposed to come into force from 1st September 2016. Discussion centred on the requirement to have an appeal panel within each league, with at least one Level 2 or above qualified arbiter. It was agreed 5 to 1 not to make this a mandatory requirement. When registering an event, leagues would be asked whether they had such an arbiter. Alternatively, the ECF could provide an arbiter, when needed, free of charge,but in any event the league would not be excluded from grading.

Alan Kennedy

Post by Alan Kennedy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:53 pm

Mike Truran wrote: There is no such regulation, nor is it the case that grading would be denied to a league, as the August Board minutes make clear:

The proposed regulations had been subject to wide consultation, and are proposed to come into force from 1st September 2016. Discussion centred on the requirement to have an appeal panel within each league, with at least one Level 2 or above qualified arbiter. It was agreed 5 to 1 not to make this a mandatory requirement. When registering an event, leagues would be asked whether they had such an arbiter. Alternatively, the ECF could provide an arbiter, when needed, free of charge,but in any event the league would not be excluded from grading.
Mike there you go again....speaking common sense when some of us were looking for a good punch up. Before you became CEO I stopped watching Eastenders and instead relied on the English chess and the ECforum for scandle goossip and controversy but alas no longer. Do you have any suggestions where I should turn - please not Eastenders again?

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:22 pm

Alan is doing his best to provoke me into criticising the ECF.

I'd rather see a stronger line on ensuring competitions meet minimum standards, but I think we all understand the politics now.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:32 pm

Something we have discussed on a few occasions (for example at the same August Board meeting). The general consensus so far has been that as we have no particular mandate over non-ECF events and no particular sanctions that we could apply anyway, there would be little purpose in attempting it.

Alan Kennedy

Post by Alan Kennedy » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:24 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:Alan is doing his best to provoke me into criticising the ECF.
Oh dear that was not my intention - merely to encourage our CEO.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:27 pm

deleted
Last edited by Michael Flatt on Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:50 pm

Today, the list of accredited ECF Arbiters has been updated on the ECF website [1].

There are some significant changes:
(a) The number of classes of ECF Arbiter has increased as a result of the new Arbiter Regulations which came into force on 1st September 2016.
(b) The total number of names listed has been reduced to 64 from 98 (ignoring those previously listed as Level 0).
(c) Although the title ECF Senior Arbiter ceases to be used, it has essentially been replaced by the new title of Arbiter Assessor.
(d) Those who have not passed the ECF/FIDE exam but licensed by FIDE as National Arbiters no longer appear in the ECF list.

Number of Arbiters, 10 Jan 2017. (24 Dec 2016 in brackets)
Level 1 - Trainee Arbiter: 6 (33)
Level 2 - Arbiter: 33 (52)
Level 3 - FIDE Arbiter - FA 9
Level 4 - International Arbiter - IA 16
Arbiter Assessor (ECF Senior Arbiter) 13 (13)
Arbiter Lecturer 7

The new list is not entirely accurate and would benefit from some extra checking. I am aware of at least one individual who does not appear in the list and another who is listed at a lower level than in the previous list. At least the inconsistencies of listing an IA as a trainee has disappeared.

I would suggest that the downloadable document would benefit from some simple additions/editing:
(a) A date of issue,
(b) The authority under which the list is issued,
(c) The use of names to distinguish the different classes instead of levels 1-4, which in themselves are meaningless,
(d) An explanation of the abbreviations A/L
(e) Identification of the Chief arbiter by name.
(f) As an ECF list it should be unnecessary to identify an arbiter's home federation as ENG/WLS/IRL/SCO/MGL
(g) The recognition of arbiters appointed by the BCF, some of whom are inexplicably excluded from the ECF list.

References
[1] ECF Arbiters: http://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-conte ... r-List.pdf

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:02 pm

Michael Flatt wrote:
Number of Arbiters, 10 Jan 2017. (24 Dec 2016 in brackets)
Level 1 - Trainee Arbiter: 6 (33)
Level 2 - Arbiter: 33 (52)
Level 3 - FIDE Arbiter - FA 9
Level 4 - International Arbiter - IA 16
Arbiter Assessor (ECF Senior Arbiter) 13 (13)
Arbiter Lecturer 7

... I am aware of at least one individual who does not appear in the list ...
Both numbers of arbiters, and missing names, are likely to be affected by the requirement that the arbiter has provided the ECF with:
A contact email address
A contact phone number

and given the ECF permission to publish them.

If they haven't, they won't be on the list, but that doesn't mean they are not an arbiter.

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:47 pm

I think the senior ECF arbiter title should be abolished and replaced by some sort or long service award when they arbit their hundredth event. The problem is most were awarded the title for life and are never retested. As a result they sometimes post incorrect views on this forum and give inconsistent opinions when lecturing on courses - see back in 2011:-

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... rbiter#top
Alex Holowczak wrote:I don't think there is such a thing as "CAA guidance". My course was delivered by Messrs Welch and Jones, with Dave Thomas dipping in and out while helping Neville run a tournament next door. The impression I get is that if Alex McFarlane was giving the course, he might have given different guidance. I think a lot may depend on who is running your course. It seems there is a difference of opinion in certain specific situations between various arbiters in the CAA.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:58 pm

E Michael White wrote:As a result they sometimes post incorrect views on this forum and give inconsistent opinions when lecturing on courses - see back in 2011:-
That references was what I regard as the complete nonsense of awarding a draw to the K in KR v K. It shouldn't be a requirement that you have to play to a higher standard just because an arbiter is watching. KR v K can be a draw, but only by the 50/75 move rule or by 3/5 repetition of position. From at least the DGT 2010 onwards, the clocks are counting the number of times they are pressed, regardless of whether they are programmed to take any notice.

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:14 pm

That was one situation that AH was referencing. His last sentence, that I quoted, suggested back then he knew of at least some of the other areas of senior arbiter inconsistency. I'm not convinced we get value for lunches out of the senior arbiter title.