ECF Arbiter Regulations

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Michael Flatt

ECF Arbiter Regulations

Post by Michael Flatt » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:06 pm

I was surprised to learn today that the Chief Arbiter no longer has the authority to propose candidates to the ECF Board for the ECF Arbiter Title and that the Board no longer makes such appointments.
ECF Arbiter Regulations[1] wrote: Level 2 norms can only be acquired once the candidate has reached Level 1. The title will be awarded by a majority vote of Panel consisting of the Director of Home Chess, Manager of Arbiters (Home) and Chief Arbiter.
It seems that my own record of Arbiting in FIDE rated events[2] is not in itself sufficient to put myself forward for the ECF Level 2 title.

References
1. ECF Arbiter Regulations: http://www.englishchess.org.uk/arbiters/ecf-arbiters/
2. FIDE Arbiter Record: https://ratings.fide.com/arbiter_hist.p ... ent=444588

Arbiter records
Arbiter Event FRL
Dep. Chief Colin Crouch Celebration Masters May16
Dep. Chief English Senior 60 Plus Championship May16
Dep. Chief CCCCC Intermediate May16
Arbiter CCCCC Weekend May16
Dep. Chief 3rd Watford Rapid-Play Open Oct15
Dep. Chief 3rd Watford Rapidplay Under 120 August 15 Oct15
Dep. Chief 31st Hampstead Weekend Congress: Under 2200 Sep15
Dep. Chief Hampstead Under 1900 Congress Aug15 Sep15
Dep. Chief Watford Rapid-Play Open Aug15
Dep. Chief Watford Rapid-Play Under 2012 ECF Under 175 Aug15
Dep. Chief Watford Rapid-Play Under 1787 ECF Under 145 Aug15
Dep. Chief Watford Rapidplay Under 120 June 15 Aug15
Arbiter 2nd Watford Rapid-Play Open Aug15
Arbiter 2nd Watford Rapid-Play Under 2012 (ECF Under 175) Aug15
Arbiter 2nd Watford Rapidplay Under 120 July 15 Aug15

Nick Grey

Re: ECF Arbiter Regulations

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:37 pm

is that because you are only shown on the list already as a level 1 trainee arbiter?

I can't believe that Adam Raoof is also shown as such bearing on mind decades of experience. Which shows in my opinion that like fide, ECF are trying to make money out of you for all the voluntary work you have put in.

Looks like you have got to get level 1 arbiter first before you can get level 2 arbiter.

How much do the courses cost & have you passed? Next course 21-22 January!

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:39 pm

Nick Grey wrote:is that because you are only shown on the list already as a level 1 trainee arbiter?

I can't believe that Adam Raoof is also shown as such bearing on mind decades of experience. Which shows in my opinion that like fide, ECF are trying to make money out of you for all the voluntary work you have put in.

Looks like you have got to get level 1 arbiter first before you can get level 2 arbiter.

How much do the courses cost & have you passed? Next course 21-22 January!
I passed the ECF Arbiter exam many years ago. The course and exam took place over two weekends. The fee wasn't a lot (£10 or £20, I can't remember exactly). It went towards the cost of the venue and the lecturer's expenses.

The ECF did not award a certificate nor keep any central records. I had to rely on the lecturer's own records before I could be listed on the website when level 1 Arbiters first became recognised.

The designation of ECF Arbiter Level 1 only indicates the exam pass; the ECF don't regard that in itself sufficient to be recognised as a 'proper' Arbiter. One used to have to get the patronage of an ECF Senior Arbiter (level 3) to confirm your abilities as a practicing Arbiter. The difficulty was that our county (and adjacent counties) have no level 3 Arbiters and, therefore, the bulk of my Arbiting experience didn't count towards the level 2 title.

It is only in the last year or so when I have officiated in FIDE rated tournaments that my experience has been documented. In one tournament I was awarded a FIDE Arbiter's norm but that doesn't seem to carry weight with the ECF.

In the main I run local tournaments but due to the shortage of recognised ECF Arbiters I am increasingly being asked to assist in other events further afield. I don't charge any fees as Arbiter, but accept expenses if they are offered.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:29 pm

I would get in touch with the panel & e-mail as per ECF website.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:55 pm

Nick Grey wrote:I would get in touch with the panel & e-mail as per ECF website.
Strangely enough, I did do that, but the ECF Official I contacted showed total disinterest.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:11 am

Last year, I reviewed the list of ECF Arbiters and recorded how many there were in each category.
Here, I repeat the exercise:

ECF Arbiter list on 24 Dec 2016. (16 Dec 2015* in brackets)
Level 0 - untitled: 7 (8*)
Level 1 - Trainee Arbiter: 33 (21*)
Level 2 - Arbiter: 52 (51*)
Level 3 - Senior Arbiter: 13 (13*)

It is interesting to note that the only significant change over the last year is the increase in those having passed the exam and registered at level 1.

The net gain in the list of Level 2 Arbiters arises from:
Cyril Johnson (deceased)
Alan Atkinson (added)
John Swain (added)

*Edit
I've gone back and checked my figures from last year and corrected the above table.
Last edited by Michael Flatt on Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:55 am

Do the ECF arbiter titles have any significance other than prestige?

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:17 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:Do the ECF arbiter titles have any significance other than prestige?
The Arbiter is the official who ensures that a competition is run according to the Laws of Chess. The ECF Arbiter title is awarded in recognition of an individual's knowledge of the Laws of Chess (level 1) and documented experience in applying them (level 2).

ECF Arbiter Level 1 is the minimum standard that would allow registration with FIDE as a licensed National Arbiter.

geoffgammon

Post by geoffgammon » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:26 pm

Michael, I am the newly appointed Manager of Arbiters (Home). I have had email communication regarding your situation, but not from you in person. I am concerned that you consider the ECF Official that you contacted 'showed total disinterest'.
Please email me, the address is on the Arbiter List, so that I can assist you.
He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is obviously as confused as I am!

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:52 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:Do the ECF arbiter titles have any significance other than prestige?
Being an ECF arbiter is now a prerequisite to applying for the FIDE Arbiter title through the ECF (see here).

There was (is?) a plan that events would only be eligible for grading if played under the supervision of an ECF Arbiter. I can't find that now, but think it was due to take effect in 2021.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:41 pm

Ian Thompson wrote: There was (is?) a plan that events would only be eligible for grading if played under the supervision of an ECF Arbiter.
I think that when challenged to think through the consequences of such an edict, the requirement was diluted to be little more than having a nominal arbiter as part of League management. Th ECF would lend you one in extremis.

Alan Atkinson

Post by Alan Atkinson » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:09 pm

"I think that when challenged to think through the consequences of such an edict, the requirement was diluted to be little more than having a nominal arbiter as part of League management. Th ECF would lend you one in extremis."

So is this still the case? Sorry if I have missed something obvious.
It was proposed, but I thought that it had been dumped at some point this year or last.
Also, I notice that Micheal Flatt has been tracking us all: I realised that unless I scooped up all the info from ages back, I would need to start again, so I have striven to deal with all this during 2016.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:49 pm

Alan Atkinson wrote: It was proposed, but I thought that it had been dumped at some point this year or last.
This was the thread, which peters out into a discussion of theoretical endings.

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... &start=135

The ECF document still contains this wording.
From 1st September, 2021, for an event to be graded, at least one Listed Level 2 Arbiter or higher must be:
(a) Responsible for making decisions at an individual Congress, whether present or otherwise
(b) Responsible for making decisions in an evening league normally conducted in arbiterless conditions; for example, serving on a Committee of any organisation that handles disputes or appeals
A practical example of how this may work in practice:
• The Birmingham League has a Rules Committee that rules on any Laws of Chess related disputes. The Rules Committee would need one Level 2 Arbiter on it. This may be someone who plays in the league, but it need not be – there is no reason why the Arbiter can’t be someone who is not a player in it.
• Other Leagues might send their dispute to the League Secretary, and ask him to make a ruling. In examples local to me that I am aware of, the Secretary then contacts a local arbiter, and invites him to make the ruling in the case in question. The Secretary then communicates the decision. For the purpose of meeting this regulation, the person consulted by the Secretary would be the Arbiter.
The ECF would be playing with fire if it ever attempted to deny grading to a league that otherwise insisted on membership and coughed up for Game Fee or its penalty charge successor.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:00 pm

It's quite clear that that regulation is specifically written so as to make it really easy to satisfy it.

Michael Flatt

Post by Michael Flatt » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:21 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:It's quite clear that that regulation is specifically written so as to make it really easy to satisfy it.
What is the justification for such a regulation and why does the ECF think it necessary for local leagues to follow the model of the Birmingham League?

Does this edict also extend to other chess events, such as congresses, which may not include ECF level 2 Arbiters among its organisers?

FIDE only demand that events submitting games for rating have at least one FIDE licensed Arbiter, which currently equates to ECF Arbiter level 1.