Proposed British Chess Championship Qualifying Regulations

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Proposed British Chess Championship Qualifying Regulations

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:41 am

Nick Burrows wrote: A compiled list of qualifiers that didn't win a tournament to qualify would be interesting.
You can work it out for yourself. Just compare the list of qualifiers from tournaments at the ECF site with the tournament cross tables at the ECF grading site. It's most of them, as tournament winners are frequently the Arkells and Hebdens, who are pre-qualified. With FMs above 2200 and juniors above 180 also pre-qualified, that's a lot of tournament regulars with no additional need to qualify, so the qualification places can go to the pile up of players with 3.5/5 .

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:31 am

"The winner of any open deserves to qualify imo. The 4th, 5th and 6th place finisher does not."

Guernsey was won by a Swede, followed by a Frenchman, so surely it is reasonable for English players finishing equal third to qualify?

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:55 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:"The winner of any open deserves to qualify imo. The 4th, 5th and 6th place finisher does not."

Guernsey was won by a Swede, followed by a Frenchman, so surely it is reasonable for English players finishing equal third to qualify?
I always was under the impression there was a minimum % score to be eligible for the qualifying place

One thing I noticed is that multiple people on the same score seemed to all qualify, I was under the assumption in the past there was a tie-break and the other players went on the reserve list in the case that player didn't take up his place

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:34 am

Alan Walton wrote:
Kevin Thurlow wrote:"The winner of any open deserves to qualify imo. The 4th, 5th and 6th place finisher does not."

I always was under the impression there was a minimum % score to be eligible for the qualifying place

One thing I noticed is that multiple people on the same score seemed to all qualify, I was under the assumption in the past there was a tie-break and the other players went on the reserve list in the case that player didn't take up his place
The system changed some time ago but I'm not sure when. Ties for the qualification spots for 2017 are covered by Regulation 12 http://www.britishchesschampionships.co ... ions-2017/

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:38 am

Alan Walton wrote:

The rules on this have been weakened over the years. At one time, there was only one place per tournament, which was split by Sum of Progressive Scores and the other players went onto a reserve list. Come Isle of Man 2005 and all the reserves were invited to play. The current rule which has been in place for some years, is that if the qualifiers score 60% or more, there isn't a tie-break. This can and does mean multiple qualifiers with 3.5/5 from tournaments like Scarborough and with 4.5/7 as has happened at Guernsey. The qualification total can include half point byes.

The proposed rules will remove all qualification from a single tournament unless it's nine rounds or more.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:16 pm

"I always was under the impression there was a minimum % score to be eligible for the qualifying place"

There is now - 70 %, I believe. The three English players who were third at Guernsey scored 5/7 (which is more than 70 %), so qualify. The Russian/Spanish GM who also scored 5, does not!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:31 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote: There is now - 70 %, I believe. The three English players who were third at Guernsey scored 5/7 (which is more than 70 %), so qualify. The Russian/Spanish GM who also scored 5, does not!
The 2017 regulations are at
http://www.britishchesschampionships.co ... ions-2017/

There's no mention of 70%, the closest is
Ties

12 – In the event of there being a tie for any of the above specified qualifying places, all the players in the tie shall qualify as long as they have scored in excess of 60%. If the qualifying place is tied on 60% or less then the tie shall be broken by Sum of Progressive Scores (SPS) and only player(s) on the top SPS shall qualify.
Otherwise it just says
The highest placed eligible competitor(s) not already qualified,
There is one other restriction.
British Isles FIDE standardplay-rated Open Swiss tournaments with at least 5 rounds or FIDE rapidplay-rated Open Swiss tournaments with at least 9 rounds, depending on the following number of players:

(i) One place if 20 players or more; or
(ii) Two places if 50 players or more.
So a FIDE rated Open doesn't have a place when there are less than 20 entrants.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:08 am

Alex I wasnot forgetting women or woen's titles.

Christopher. For each title there is a minimum average rating of the opponents. For the GM norm this is 2360. That then requires a score of 7/9. If the Ra was 2359 and the player scores 9/9, he would NOT get a GM norm, even though his TPR would be 3109.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:39 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Christopher. For each title there is a minimum average rating of the opponents. For the GM norm this is 2360. That then requires a score of 7/9. If the Ra was 2359 and the player scores 9/9, he would NOT get a GM norm, even though his TPR would be 3109.
For GM norms it's actually 2380. Source http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html? ... ew=article

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:49 pm

You're right. It used to be 2381 and, before that, 2400 - but not really.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:31 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Stewart Reuben wrote:
For GM norms it's actually 2380. Source http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html? ... ew=article
2379.5 I think :)

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:08 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote: Guernsey was won by a Swede, followed by a Frenchman, so surely it is reasonable for English players finishing equal third to qualify?
So maybe the highest finishing English player.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:42 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Stewart Reuben wrote:
2379.5 I think :)
In practice yes, I missed it in the regs but here it is:
1.47b Rounding of the Rating Average is made to the nearest whole number. The fraction 0.5 is rounded upward.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:53 am

KevinTthurlow >Guernsey was won by a Swede, followed by a Frenchman, so surely it is reasonable for English players finishing equal third to qualify?<

That Is totally unreasonable. If there is a rule of that type, it should state: 'The highest ranked player eligible to play in the British Championship qualifies.' The player may be ENG, SCO, WLS, IRE, GUE, JER or be resident in the British Isles or resident in one of those areas, for the required period, or be born there, but now be registered for another federation.
Moreover i think it would be ludicrous in that situation for all players finishig equal third to qualify.

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:06 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Stewart Reuben wrote:I don't believe long-retired players should qualify on their old titles.
Why is that?
I don't think you need worry about that. Long retired players are that for a reason, and I as one wouldn't want to risk not performing to at least a reasonable level. Too embarrassing.

In addition long retired players may well be more financially secure than their unretired peers so less likely to balk at the extravagant fees you'll probably need to charge if you chop the tail.