PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2017

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
Paul Bielby

PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2017

Post by Paul Bielby » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:05 pm

With a large amount of news appearing on the ECF website today, the invitation to submit nominations for the PLAYER of the YEAR Award has disappeared from the front page of the website.

If you have not yet made your nominations DON'T PANIC. You can find the invitation by typing 'PLAYER OF THE YEAR' into the search box near the top right hand corner.

PLEASE DO SO! I am grateful to the 50 or so members who have responded so far. But with only 50 or so of our 8000-10000? members troubling to vote so far it makes the turnout at the FINANCE COUNCIL MEETING look positively massive.

Paul Bielby, Chairman ECF Awards Committee

Chris Rice

Re: PLAYER OF THE YEAR 2017

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:10 pm

oh dear

Evidence has emerged of widespread attempts in certain quarters to manipulate the voting for the Player of the Year award. The ECF Awards Committee has therefore concluded, with great reluctance, that it has no choice but to abandon this year’s exercise. The Committee will be considering how the process can be improved next year to ensure that the Player of the Year award is made on genuine merit rather than as the result of unacceptable behaviour.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:15 pm

Why is it that for the last ten years or so, this process is seemingly frequently beset with serious problems?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:30 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Why is it that for the last ten years or so, this process is seemingly frequently beset with serious problems?
The voting process is the ECF's only OMOV, but doing it without imposing security measures leaves it vulnerable to being hijacked.

The nomination process has been controversial as well, this sometimes attacked by those with agendas or issues to raise

We entrust Council with elections for everything else where allowed by the directors, why not give them (Council) the task of determining player of the year?

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:43 pm

Suitable considerations invited. First come first served! :-)

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:20 am

I assume a bit of lobbying for votes takes place each year. I wonder how it was different/ worse this year?

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:55 am

Chris Rice wrote: the result of unacceptable behaviour.
Presumably there were attempts from individuals to vote on behalf of other individuals using membership data in the public arena.

I would have thought that one email address together with a unique membership ID was sufficient.

I'm trying to imagine what is meant by "unacceptable behaviour".

Perhaps Putin was involved or would that be fake news?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:10 am

John Upham wrote:
Chris Rice wrote: the result of unacceptable behaviour.
Presumably there were attempts from individuals to vote on behalf of other individuals using membership data in the public arena.

I would have thought that one email address together with a unique membership ID was sufficient.

I'm trying to imagine what is meant by "unacceptable behaviour".

Perhaps Putin was involved or would that be fake news?
I would imagine that "unacceptable behaviour" could be, let's say, to be kind, over exuberant campaigning.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:19 am

So, we need a poll on here then
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:26 am

Someone please tell me I'm wrong but I've always thought that, if for example a moderately-sized club or other organisation could persuade say 60 of its members to vote for one candidate, that should be enough to swing it. I surely can't be the only person to have had that thought and, in all likelihood, some people (past and/or present) have very likely not simply had the thought but acted on it.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:28 am

Rather curiously I was chatting to Paul Bielby at South Lakes last Saturday about the awards and everything seemed perfectly on course and hunky-dory. Either he was excellent at dissumulating (which didn't strike me as likely - though I had never met him previously) or things have blown up only this week.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:03 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:Someone please tell me I'm wrong but I've always thought that, if for example a moderately-sized club or other organisation could persuade say 60 of its members to vote for one candidate, that should be enough to swing it. I surely can't be the only person to have had that thought and, in all likelihood, some people (past and/or present) have very likely not simply had the thought but acted on it.
Ben Purton once launched a campaign to get Liam Varnam the award. He didn't come anywhere near winning, but I think he finished fifth or thereabouts.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:58 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:why not give Council the task of determining player of the year?
Because then Sean Hewitt would win it every year

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:18 pm

I wonder if the ECF will take an IAG type stance in revealing the specifics of the problem encountered ?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:why not give Council the task of determining player of the year?
Because then Sean Hewitt would win it every year
I think that's now a little out of date, prof. (though the principle remains).