Junior chess in latest ECF board minutes

Debate directly related to English Chess Federation matters.
benedgell

Re: Junior chess in latest ECF board minutes

Post by benedgell » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:11 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Andrew Zigmond wrote:FIDE regulations can be discussed elsewhere.
No doubt we got into too much detail, but I do think that the paucity of FIDE rated events for juniors and others in England is a part of the reason why we lag so far behind our Continental neighbours in their development. The International Director has said the same, although he has done nothing about it.
Complete and utter rubbish.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:16 pm

benedgell wrote: Complete and utter rubbish.
Which?

That he didn't say there was a paucity or that he has done something about it.

I don't believe that removing rating prizes from players rated under 2050 encourages juniors to enter, even if offering free entry does.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:25 pm

benedgell wrote: Complete and utter rubbish.
Please feel free to expand.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:30 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: I don't believe that removing rating prizes from players rated under 2050 encourages juniors to enter, even if offering free entry does.
True, and outrageous, but one single tournament isn't really the point. In the European nations which are leaving us in their dust, the concept of a "FIDE rated tournament" barely exists. They just call them chess tournaments.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:50 pm

I find it bizarre that in 5 pages of discussion about how to get more kids playing chess there has been no mention of the chess equivalent of crack cocaine - bughouse. Are English kids genetically engineered to be immune? Or have I broken some fundamental taboo by using the "B" word?
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:15 pm

English kids are definitely not immune, although they usually call it Exchange Chess.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:27 am

Curiously, I've never seen any of our (local club) juniors playing bughouse or even discussing it. "Losing chess", where the object is to get your pieces taken asap, yes - and we tend to discourage it. Bughouse, never.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:23 pm

We called it Exchange chess at school when Brian taught us. Other games of skill can be exciting and more profitable.

We were also into card games other than bridge (some of us both) and also got into the game of diplomacy.

When we got a bit older and started drinking we also got into some nutty games - like moonlit cricket (with out pads and also not a white ball).

Everyone is being a bit harsh on the juniors and also we ought to be a bit more supportive to their parents and coaches. We are behind our continental juniors on everything - particularly education.

We have lots of talented juniors, and also lots of old players that are an encouragement to us all that we may be able to play and enjoy the game for another 25 years or more.